Last visit was: 06 Jun 2024, 09:43 It is currently 06 Jun 2024, 09:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua (Full Tuition) vs Tuck (Full Tuition) vs Booth (50% Tuition)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1364 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [2]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73504 [1]
Given Kudos: 19071
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Duke (Full Tuition) vs Tuck (Full Tuition) vs Booth (50%) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nicely done! Congratulations! Fuqua or Tuck - both are great for consulting.
Tuck holds a special place in many people's hearts as it is a tight community and you grow very close with your class. They have a tight alum network and another plus is that Dartmouth is technically an Ivy League School (if that makes you feel any better).

Booth on the other hand is different setup and environment - you probably know.... Money does not have a whole lot to do here. Tuck is a small tight group (perhaps fewer class options) vs. Booth that is a powerhouse but somewhat impersonable. To each their own. I would probably pick Tuck even without the money and Fuqua given the money.

Good luck with your choice!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Nicely done! Congratulations! Fuqua or Tuck - both are great for consulting.
Tuck holds a special place in many people's hearts as it is a tight community and you grow very close with your class. They have a tight alum network and another plus is that Dartmouth is technically an Ivy League School (if that makes you feel any better).

Booth on the other hand is different setup and environment - you probably know.... Money does not have a whole lot to do here. Tuck is a small tight group (perhaps fewer class options) vs. Booth that is a powerhouse but somewhat impersonable. To each their own. I would probably pick Tuck even without the money and Fuqua given the money.

Good luck with your choice!

I agree, Booth and Tuck have different cultures. I attended the ASW at both schools and I saw and felt the difference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate, International Business
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
zimshimmy wrote:
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to multiple schools and I've managed to narrow the list down to 3 schools - Tuck, Fuqua, and Booth. However, even after talking to alumni from all schools, I'm not any closer to making a decision and i have less than a week to go :shock: . I'm a career switched coming from IT/Financial Audit with the big four hoping to get into consulting post-MBA. Any suggestions or comments from anyone?

I would do Tuck- full tuition does the trick!
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I'm not sure what BB is saying about Booth being "impersonal", I can assure you that's not the case. Its Booth vs Tuck here, will depend on which environment you prefer (rural vs urban) and how important the money is for you. All else equal Booth is the better brand, does better in MBB consulting, and will afford you more opportunities in Chicago vs Hanover, but you can't go wrong either way.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you, everyone, for your input so far. I've officially narrowed it down to Tuck vs Booth now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1364 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
zimshimmy wrote:
Thank you, everyone, for your input so far. I've officially narrowed it down to Tuck vs Booth now.

Great. Pls update us about your final choice

Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Duke (Full Tuition) vs Tuck (Full Tuition) vs Booth (50%) [#permalink]
Mo2men wrote:
zimshimmy wrote:

Great. Pls update us about your final choice

Good luck.

Will do. I'm 70% sure that I'm going to Tuck at this point - unless if Booth ups the scholarship $$$.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
jessepinkman wrote:
I'm not sure what BB is saying about Booth being "impersonal", I can assure you that's not the case. Its Booth vs Tuck here, will depend on which environment you prefer (rural vs urban) and how important the money is for you. All else equal Booth is the better brand, does better in MBB consulting, and will afford you more opportunities in Chicago vs Hanover, but you can't go wrong either way.

Better brand is debatable, but Booth is stronger for finance (IM, banking, etc). However, for MBB, this is patently untrue. Most years ~20% of each of Tuck's classes go into MBB, which is notably higher than Booth.

Either way both are good choices, but even if you value Booth a bit higher for finance, IMO it is not worth paying 50% for versus going to Tuck for free.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Great options...I would go Tuck edging out Booth. Full scholarship, great brand and alum network and if you don't care about the rural vibes then go to Tuck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
jessepinkman wrote:

I love Booth, but I would like to know what data you have to support your claim. 48/285 (16.8%) of Tuck grads went to MBB*, while 73/585 (12.5%) of Booth grads went to MBB*. Unless all the students who wanted to go to MBB from Booth ended up going, I'm not sure how well your claim is supported. Do you have any more data?

*https://poetsandquants.com/2017/04/10/draft-consulting-industrys-top-feeder-schools/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Tuck all the way.
Send PM
NickC137 wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

I love Booth, but I would like to know what data you have to support your claim. 48/285 (16.8%) of Tuck grads went to MBB*, while 73/585 (12.5%) of Booth grads went to MBB*. Unless all the students who wanted to go to MBB from Booth ended up going, I'm not sure how well your claim is supported. Do you have any more data?

*https://poetsandquants.com/2017/04/10/draft-consulting-industrys-top-feeder-schools/

I don't think percentage of class going to MBB is a relevant metric as that's largely a function of what percentage of the class wants to go into consulting. The better metric imo is what percentage of those going into consulting are going to MBB. I don't think the 2017 class data has been officially released for Booth 2017 yet but have heard from friends going into consulting that over 50% of people going into consulting from Booth are going to MBB. I don't know what that measure is for Tuck, but over 50% seems very high to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.27
Send PM
jessepinkman wrote:
NickC137 wrote:
jessepinkman wrote:

I don't think percentage of class going to MBB is a relevant metric as that's largely a function of what percentage of the class wants to go into consulting. The better metric imo is what percentage of those going into consulting are going to MBB. I don't think the 2017 class data has been officially released for Booth 2017 yet but have heard from friends going into consulting that over 50% of people going into consulting from Booth are going to MBB. I don't know what that measure is for Tuck, but over 50% seems very high to me.

Well we can sort of back in to those numbers. The same P&Q link shows that 27.5% of Booth grads went into the consulting industry, while 36% of Tuck grads did. Using the same class size numbers (and rounding up), ~161 of Booth grads went into consulting, while ~103 of Tuck grads did. 73 of the 161 Booth grads is 45.3%, and 48 of the 103 Tuck grads is 46.6%. So with an unknown margin of error, it doesn't look like there is much of a difference; maybe a slight edge to Tuck.

Again, I do love Booth, but I don't think your claim is supported by data, unless there is newer data that I have not seen.

Sent from my SM-G935V using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Send PM
NickC137 wrote:
Well we can sort of back in to those numbers. The same P&Q link shows that 27.5% of Booth grads went into the consulting industry, while 36% of Tuck grads did. Using the same class size numbers (and rounding up), ~161 of Booth grads went into consulting, while ~103 of Tuck grads did. 73 of the 161 Booth grads is 45.3%, and 48 of the 103 Tuck grads is 46.6%. So with an unknown margin of error, it doesn't look like there is much of a difference; maybe a slight edge to Tuck.

Again, I do love Booth, but I don't think your claim is supported by data, unless there is newer data that I have not seen.

the data in the article is for the class of 2016. for the class of 2017, i've heard it's well over 50% going to MBB. maybe tuck's percentage is higher as well for the class of 2017 but I haven't seen/heard evidence to support it. To the OP, if you haven't already, this is the type of question you should ask the MCG chairs at both schools.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
jessepinkman wrote:
NickC137 wrote:

the data in the article is for the class of 2016. for the class of 2017, i've heard it's well over 50% going to MBB. maybe tuck's percentage is higher as well for the class of 2017 but I haven't seen/heard evidence to support it. To the OP, if you haven't already, this is the type of question you should ask the MCG chairs at both schools.

The data here is pretty clear for the class of 2016. Regarding the 2017's I can't comment on Booth, but at Tuck, it looks like just north of 20% are going to MBB of the total class.

To the OP: I am obviously biased, but for consulting, Tuck really is the easy choice here. Consulting placement both traditionally and more recently is higher at Tuck, particularly at MBB, versus Booth. If you were trying to go to PE this would be a harder choice, but not for consulting or corporate strategy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Today is the day I'm supposed to make the final decision as Booth's deposit is due today. Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. I really appreciate the time you took to vote or comment, and it actually did help me make a much more informed decision. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Tuck at this point, but I still haven't declined the Booth offer...I don't know what I'm waiting for ...smh.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
zimshimmy wrote:
Today is the day I'm supposed to make the final decision as Booth's deposit is due today. Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. I really appreciate the time you took to vote or comment, and it actually did help me make a much more informed decision. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Tuck at this point, but I still haven't declined the Booth offer...I don't know what I'm waiting for ...smh.

I see that you have decided to matriculate at Tuck. Congratulations on your decision and on your stellar application outcome. Have a great time in Hanover! :wink:
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1127 posts