Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 08:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 08:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28580 [16]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 570 Q48 V21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this [#permalink]
D! A/B/C modifier issue and E is wordy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 597
Send PM
Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this [#permalink]
I'd go for D as well. It's concise and to the point.

C doesn't have a verb.

As the subject in the subordinate clause is "the original AEC Routemaster", the subject in the main clause should be the same, i.e, "this familiar red double-decker bus". Eliminate B and E.

A is wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this [#permalink]
I choose B.
C D and E changes meaning .
Between A and B .
In A has been - I there is no guarantee that it will not end in future. - So I preferred B over A.

Hence, I choose B.
Whats OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain.

(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon

(C) this familiar red double-decker bus remaining a cultural icon in Britain

(D) this familiar red double-decker bus remains a British cultural icon

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons

I would go with D !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
Send PM
IMO D

Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain.
(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Even though the original AEC Routemaster has been retired, still this [#permalink]

(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain...... use of still

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon.....[color=#005e20]Meaning issues

(C) this familiar red double-decker bus remaining a cultural icon in Britain...Use of remaining disrupts the meaning balance of the construction

(D) this familiar red double-decker bus remains a British cultural icon.........Concise and accurate

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons[/color]....too wordy...meaning ambiguity

D it is
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain - awkward and redundant

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon - still remains is redundant ; wordy

(C) this familiar red double-decker bus remaining a cultural icon in Britain - remaining is not a verb

(D) this familiar red double-decker bus remains a British cultural icon - Answer D is much better and concise

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons - unidiomatic consider to be ; changes meaning
Answer D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: IIMC (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consumer Products)
Send PM
In my opinion, answer should be D.

Waiting for OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE:Programming (Consulting)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

This question explore, among other things, the use of subordinate conjunctions. For a discussion of this topic, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
GMAT Grammar: “On a White Bus” with Subordinate Conjunctions

BTW, you can see pictures of the AEC Routemaster at that Wikipedia page.

Mike :-)

I think the question is using AC Routemaster as a comparison reference to red double-decker bus.

Ans: Option D

Explanation:

1. Correct comparison between AC Routemaster and double-decker bus. Noun v/s Noun
2. Statement is short and sweet.
3. Convey complete message.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 932
Send PM
Explanation:

Underlined portion was really bumpy - it was not clear till I read it a couple of times

(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain - awkward: 'still'..'and' --don't understand why we need to break this sentence

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon More clear, but the meaning is distorted: if the familiarity remains, does the bus? If there is no bus, how is it an icon?

(C) this familiar red double-decker bus remaining a cultural icon in Britain continuous tense not correct - it somehow conveys that the bus was a remaining cultural icon (which is not true)

(D) this familiar red double-decker bus remains a British cultural icon Correct - clear and precise

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons It somehow indicates that they weren't earlier / or it was difficult to be familiar with and somehow it still is('the British are familiar and still consider') -- I'm sure this is not the intent of the sentence
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [1]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Madhavi1990 wrote:
Explanation:

Underlined portion was really bumpy - it was not clear till I read it a couple of times

(A) still this red double-decker bus is familiar, and it has been an icon of culture in Britain - awkward: 'still'..'and' --don't understand why we need to break this sentence

(B) the familiarity of this red double-decker bus still remains, as does its role as a British cultural icon More clear, but the meaning is distorted: if the familiarity remains, does the bus? If there is no bus, how is it an icon?

(C) this familiar red double-decker bus remaining a cultural icon in Britain continuous tense not correct - it somehow conveys that the bus was a remaining cultural icon (which is not true)

(D) this familiar red double-decker bus remains a British cultural icon Correct - clear and precise

(E) the British are familiar with this red double-decker bus and still consider it to be one of their cultural icons It somehow indicates that they weren't earlier / or it was difficult to be familiar with and somehow it still is('the British are familiar and still consider') -- I'm sure this is not the intent of the sentence

Hello Madhavi1990 There are some flaws in your explanation, please let me highlight those so that it provides more clarity on the elimination.

Option C - The main reason why C is incorrect is missing "verb"

Option D - There is an IDIOM issue “consider X to be” also it is awkward and wordy.

Hope this helps to clarify further.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

This question explore, among other things, the use of subordinate conjunctions. For a discussion of this topic, as well as the OE for this particular question, see:
GMAT Grammar: “On a White Bus” with Subordinate Conjunctions

BTW, you can see pictures of the AEC Routemaster at that Wikipedia page.

Mike :-)

Hello experts! AjiteshArun sayantanc2k EducationAisle VeritasKarishma

in option D, familiar red double-decker bus, I interpreted it as if it said the red is familiar and the color of the bus is the familiar red, That was the reason, I picked A over this one. We wanted to say the familiar bus, but it came out as a familiar color. Where did I go wrong?
How do we read such adjectives?

Recently I came across a question which said, possible problem.... and it was wrong because possible is not a type of a problem.
Can someone please help me with this?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts