Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 03:12 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Businessx   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38853 [94]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [15]
Given Kudos: 154
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Sauder '20
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 2.75
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [12]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Re: Much research has been devoted to investigating what motivates consume [#permalink]
Much research has been devoted to investigating
what motivates consumers to try new products.
Previous consumer research suggests that both the
price of a new product and the way it is advertised
affect consumers’ perceptions of the product’s
performance risk (the possibility that the product will
not function as consumers expect and/or will not
provide the desired benefits). Some of this research
has concluded that a relatively high price will reduce
a consumer’s perception of the performance risk
associated with purchasing a particular product,
while other studies have reported that price has little
or no effect on perceived performance risk. These
conflicting findings may simply be due to the nature
of product advertisements:
a recent study indicates
that the presentation of an advertised message has a
marked effect on the relationship between price and
perceived performance risk.
Researchers have identified consumers’ perception
of the credibility of the source of an advertised
message—i.e., the manufacturer—as another factor
affecting perceived performance risk: one study
found that the greater the source credibility, the lower
the consumer’s perception of the risk of purchasing
an advertised new product. However, past research
suggests that the relationship between source
credibility and perceived performance risk may be
more complex: source credibility may interact with
price in a subtle way to affect consumers’ judgments
of the performance risk associated with an advertised
product.

**Can anyone please confirm if there is any opinion in this passage? I consider the highlighted part as an opinion by the passage JarvisR MBAPrepCoach @
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 4
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Much research has been devoted to investigating what motivates consume [#permalink]
Keats wrote:
Much research has been devoted to investigating
what motivates consumers to try new products.
Previous consumer research suggests that both the
price of a new product and the way it is advertised
affect consumers’ perceptions of the product’s
performance risk (the possibility that the product will
not function as consumers expect and/or will not
provide the desired benefits). Some of this research
or no effect on perceived performance risk. These
of product advertisements:
a recent study indicates
that the presentation of an advertised message has a
marked effect on the relationship between price and
perceived performance risk.
Researchers have identified consumers’ perception
of the credibility of the source of an advertised
message—i.e., the manufacturer—as another factor
affecting perceived performance risk: one study
found that the greater the source credibility, the lower
the consumer’s perception of the risk of purchasing
an advertised new product. However, past research
suggests that the relationship between source
credibility and perceived performance risk may be
more complex: source credibility may interact with
price in a subtle way to affect consumers’ judgments
of the performance risk associated with an advertised
product.

**Can anyone please confirm if there is any opinion in this passage? I consider the highlighted part as an opinion by the passage JarvisR MBAPrepCoach @

In the highlighted text, the author is trying to resolve the conflict, using the result of another study.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Hello GMATNinja, experts, and members

I have been working on RC passages for some time now but my accuracy is stuck between 30% to 50%. I need your advice on how to improve my RC notes and how to increase my accuracy in RC passages.

Passage notes:
Passage 1: Research: What motivates consumers to try new products.

Previous research: *Price and *How it's advertised (*important )
These two shape the perception.

Greater price = lesser perception of risk

While (contrast): other research - Price not that important
Reason: Nature of product ads.

Passage 2: One more factor: Manufacturer
However (contrast)- Past research says this relationship is more complex.

415. C
416. C
417. C
418. B

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 550 Q44 V23
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Experts please advise why answer choice E is incorrect in Question 1.
The meaning of the answer choices C & E are same...
E says consumers are less concerned about risk when the price of product is high which is given in the passage "high price will reduce
a consumer’s perception of the performance risk associated with purchasing a particular product"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [0]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Passage wrote:
    ...provide the desired benefits). Some of this research
(10)
    or no effect on perceived performance risk.
    These

Q: According to the passage, the studies referred to in line 12reported which of the following about the effect of price on consumers’ perception of the performance risk associated with a new product?

The study being referred to explains: Price has little or no effect on perceived risk. This means, price may have effect or may not, and if it does have effect, then it is not more than little. That is the effect of price in risk perception is not significant enough to take into consideration.

With this understanding:

tapasgupta wrote:
Experts please advise why answer choice E is incorrect in Question 1.
The meaning of the answer choices C & E are same...
E says consumers are less concerned about risk when the price of product is high which is given in the passage "high price will reduce
a consumer’s perception of the performance risk associated with purchasing a particular product"

Firstly, both C and E do not mean the same.

C. Price does not significantly affect consumers’ perception of the performance risk associated with a new product. This is what we discussed above in passage understanding stage. This is correct
E. Consumers are generally less concerned about a new product’s performance risk when that product is relatively expensive.So where is it mentioned that consumers are generally less concerned when the product is expensive? passage says that consumers are generally less concerned about performance risk, no matter what the price is as price plays little role in building that perception. Study in line 12 doesn't talk about expensive or cheap products.

Secondly, the sentence you referring to "high price will reduce.." is line 9. You are simply looking into wrong line and therefore, wrong study.

I hope I helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 207
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q163 V154
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
achira wrote:
JarvisR wrote:
9 mins.All correct. let me know if there are any queries.

could you explain why not E in the first question?

The study in line 12 says: Price has little or no effect on perceived risk. Price may or may not have effect on perceived risk, and if it does have effect, then it is little. That is the effect of price in risk perception is not significant enough to take into consideration.
This effectively implies that the price of the product, expensive or cheap, doesn't really matter to the consumer. But E contradicts this by saying Expensive products are generally considered less concerning by the consumers.

E says:
Consumers are generally less concerned about a new product’s performance risk when that product is relatively expensive
We can't conclude whether consumers are less concerned when the product is expensive.

Cleared the doubt?
Hope I was of some help :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Question 418 states which would “weaken the conclusions” as in plural conclusions referenced in line 8. Choice A definitely weekend the first conclusion. However the second conclusion in that line states that “studies have reported that price has little or no effect on perceived performance risk”. I don’t see how choice A weakens the second conclusion. Choice seems to be demonstrating exactly what the second conclusion states rather than weakening it.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
bpdulog wrote:
Can someone explain why Q3 is E and not A?

First lets look at the structure of the passage:
Topic: factors affecting y consumers try new products
P1: (the main idea is right in the first sentence) what motivates ppl to try new products
Previous research states sth -> some conclude sth, others report sth else -> Reason to resolve the conflict
P2: another factor - credibility
However, sth
Author's pov: these conflicting findings...
Tone: neutral/indifferent/disinterest

I'm sure B,C,D are easy to be eliminated. Choice A is tempting because it pertains to 'why consumers try new products', but the first part is incorrect because first of all it does not 'challenge' anything, it simply lists down all the research & their findings; secondly the 'implications of previous research' is not mentioned in the passage. Say, if I were to write an outline for this answer, I would begin with introducing the previous research, then their implications and start asking some questions regarding those implications. I would even go further by addressing my point of view that hey I'm not sure your implications are cool enough & blah blah (of course GMAT's tone is mostly neutral, I'm just giving an example :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Education)
Send PM
bpdulog wrote:
Can someone explain why Q3 is E and not A?

A is Incorrect – Nowhere in the passage have any findings been challenged or questioned, even when there is a conflict between them. Rather the conflict has been explained.

E is correct as the passage discusses the factors as indicated by various researches, that influence a consumer’s decision to try out a new advertised product.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I am trying to figure out why choice E is not valid on the second question.
The passage says: "source credibility may interact with price in a subtle way to affect consumers’ judgments"
Can it not be inferred that the price is the smaller variable in the equation than the source credibility?
How do you know that this research is telling that price and source credibility are equally responsible?
Choice C would've made a great choice if the passage didn't have the word "subtle".

Does it make sense? Or am I overthinking this?
mikemcgarry GMATNinja ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63698 [9]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos