Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 05:21 It is currently 23 May 2024, 05:21
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Level,    Parallelism,    Subject Verb Agreement,                      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39008 [450]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30926 [85]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [42]
Given Kudos: 1794
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63984 [32]
Given Kudos: 1794
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,
My query is regarding option D.
Does not attest means : to provide evidence of .. ?
As per my understanding, findings make more sense than waterlogged balls.
Can you please elaborate what I missed?
WR,
Arpit.

I'd still argue that the "balls... and representations of players" are much better evidence for "the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established" than "the finding of balls..." and "the painting of representations..." It's the balls and representations that provide the actual evidence -- not the fact that they were found and painted.

But you know what? I also made (D) much harder than it needed to be! As Sahil01 pointed out, "the finding... and the painting... attests" is totally wrong in (D). So I'd argue that my rant about meaning is still correct... but it's an unnecessarily painful and inefficient way to eliminate (D). Oops.

-10 kudos points for me!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4685 [18]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c., waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest

(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests

(C) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests

(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests

(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun phrase "waterlogged latex balls...and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics" with the plural verb "attest". Further, Option A uses the phrase "waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest", conveying the intended meaning - that waterlogged latex balls and representations of ballplayers that were painted on ceramics attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "waterlogged latex balls...and the painting..." with the singular verb "attests"; please remember, two singular elements joined by "and" function as a single plural noun phrase. Further, Option B alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "the painting of representations of ballplayers"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the act of painting representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c; the intended meaning is that the ceramics found at San Lorenzo were painted with representations of ballplayers and the representations attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

C: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "waterlogged latex balls...and the ceramics..." with the singular verb "attests"; please remember, two singular elements joined by "and" function as a single plural noun phrase.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun phrase "the finding...and the painting..." with the singular verb "attests"; please remember, two singular elements joined by "and" function as a single plural noun phrase. Further, Option D alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "the finding...and the painting..."; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the act of finding waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the act of painting representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c; the intended meaning is that the waterlogged latex balls and the representations themselves attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "the finding" with the plural verb "attest". Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "the finding of"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the act of finding waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c; the intended meaning is that the waterlogged latex balls and the representations themselves attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5234 [16]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
The sentence is correct as is.
The two items of the list, waterlogged latex balls.... and representations of ballplayers..... Attest(Plural verb)

In Option B,C and D, the singular verb 'attests' makes the answer choices incorrect.

The other option E, which uses plural verb has an imperfect list(items in the list are not grammatically parallel) and has awkward formation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM
Between A and E, I chose E.
Can someone please explain why E is wrong? Is it just because of concision?
I did not fully understood that in E, two phrases are not grammatically parallel as mentioned by @pusphitkc
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 541 [3]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Eliminating option D took a while. Besides D being wordier than A, is there any thing else in D which renders it incorrect?
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1253 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Hm, they found waterlogged latex balls in Mesoamerica from 900-400 b.c.?!? Wow, the 2018 OG is more interesting than I expected. (My copy of it is looking at me right now. I've barely had time to open it. :( )

TheMechanic wrote:
Eliminating option D took a while. Besides D being wordier than A, is there any thing else in D which renders it incorrect?

I think we could also argue that (D) doesn't really convey the meaning of the sentence as clearly as (A). In each answer choice, what is it that "attests to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established..."? In (A), it's the waterlogged balls themselves and the representations of the ballplayers that give us information about the ballgame -- and that makes a lot of sense. In (D), it's "the finding" (of the balls) and "the painting" (of the representations) that tells us about the history of the ballgame -- and that makes much less sense to me.

I'm not 100% sure that (D) would be absolutely wrong in isolation, but it conveys the meaning much less clearly than (A).

I hope this helps!

Hi GMATNinja,
My query is regarding option D.
Does not attest means : to provide evidence of .. ?
As per my understanding, findings make more sense than waterlogged balls.
Can you please elaborate what I missed?
WR,
Arpit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [14]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos