GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 10:56
Leo8 wrote:
@Experts - Please advise!.

To me Option A was a loud winner as it stands alone with S-V agreement.

But thinking on "Meaning" issue - bogged me down. and I forced myself to find issues in A

as I was confused about the verb "attest" which stands for " serve as Evidence"

How can the object itself attest of some view about a past event?
It has to be the finding of that object can attest the view.

I think you already answered your question! If the word "attest" means "serve as evidence", then it's completely fine to say that the object itself "attests", right? In this case: "... waterlogged latex balls serve as evidence for the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century, b.c." It actually makes perfect sense, even if you just replace "attest" with its definition.

To be fair, it is a little bit unusual in real life (at least in American English) to use "attest" with an inanimate object, but when we think about the exact definition of "attest", it's completely fine.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.34
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2018, 18:39
While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c., waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest

(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests

(C) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests

(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests

(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

This question is mostly about the meaning of the original sentence. Which pair of subjects is most logically deduce from "ballgame was well established"?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 23:14
Could any expert revise if I am wrong?

Option E is out because of the SV agreement.

If I revise option E in the following way, is it right gramatically?

(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the finding of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

There are 2 findings together to attest. The subject is plural.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Laurie
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2018, 12:05
scwong59 wrote:
Could any expert revise if I am wrong?

Option E is out because of the SV agreement.

If I revise option E in the following way, is it right gramatically?

(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the finding of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

There are 2 findings together to attest. The subject is plural.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Laurie

Hello scwong59 / Laurie,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Following is the structure of the sentence with Choice E:

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c.,

the finding

of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and

of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo

attest to the fact

that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

The sentence intends to say that there was one finding. Two items were found, but there was one finding that took place. Hence, we need singular verb attests for the finding.

From grammar stand-point, the finding applies to both of waterlogged... and of representations.... Hence, this singular subject needs singular verb attests.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 19:11
While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c., waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest
(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(C) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests
(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

First of all, we need to compare 'ball courts in Mesoamerica' with 'waterlogged latex balls and painting of representations of ballplayers'. Hence, option E is out.

List of two items - 'waterlogged latex balls and painting of representations of ballplayers' - needs plural verb - 'attest', hence 'B, C, and D' are out.

Correct Answer Choice is 'A'
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '19

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 08:35
Experts have done a tremendous job explaining this question; anyway, I'm just tossing my two cents.

If you focus only on Subject-Verb Agreement issue, you'll see that only (A) uses the correct agreement - Compound Noun Subject (Plural) - Verb (Plural)

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest - Subject-Verb Agreement.

(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests - Subject - Verb Disagreement

(C)waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests - Subject - Verb Disagreement

(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests - Subject - Verb Disagreement

(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest - Subject - Verb Disagreement
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 16:38
Hello Everyone!

Let's take a look at this question to find any ways to quickly rule out options to get us to the correct answer! First, here is the original question with the main differences between each option highlighted in orange:

Right away, we see 3 places where there are differences between each option:

1. How they begin (waterlogged latex balls found / the finding of waterlogged latex balls)
2. How they end (attest / attests)
3. How they deal with the ceramic paintings of ballplayers

To answer this question as quickly as possible, start with an item on our list that will eliminate 2-3 answers right away. For us, the easiest way to do this is by dealing with #2 on our list: attest / attests.

The verb "attest/attests" is referring back to BOTH the waterlogged latex balls and the ceramic paintings; therefore, we MUST use the plural verb "attest" to agree with its plural subject! Let's see how each option stacks up:

We can eliminate options B, C, and D quickly because they use a singular verb with a plural subject!

Now that we only have options A & E to choose from, let's look at both answers to see which one is the better choice:

This is the CORRECT answer because it uses the correct plural verb "attest" to agree with its plural subject. It also uses clear and concise wording to convey the intended meaning: the two types of artifacts found are proof the game existed at that time!

This is INCORRECT because it changes the original meaning. The phrases "the finding of waterlogged latex balls" and the finding "of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics" change the focus. By saying "the finding of" these two artifacts is the proof of how long this game existed, we're ignoring the important fact that the existence of these two artifacts is the proof - NOT the action of someone finding them!

There you go - option A is the correct choice!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

"Students study. GMAT assassins train."

★★★★★ GMAT Club Verified Reviews for EMPOWERgmat & Special Discount

GMAT Club Verbal Advantage EMPOWERgmat Critical Reasoning Question Pack

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q42 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2018, 02:00
GMATNinja wrote:
Hm, they found waterlogged latex balls in Mesoamerica from 900-400 b.c.?!? Wow, the 2018 OG is more interesting than I expected. (My copy of it is looking at me right now. I've barely had time to open it. :( )

TheMechanic wrote:
Eliminating option D took a while. Besides D being wordier than A, is there any thing else in D which renders it incorrect?

I think we could also argue that (D) doesn't really convey the meaning of the sentence as clearly as (A). In each answer choice, what is it that "attests to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established..."? In (A), it's the waterlogged balls themselves and the representations of the ballplayers that give us information about the ballgame -- and that makes a lot of sense. In (D), it's "the finding" (of the balls) and "the painting" (of the representations) that tells us about the history of the ballgame -- and that makes much less sense to me.

I'm not 100% sure that (D) would be absolutely wrong in isolation, but it conveys the meaning much less clearly than (A).

I hope this helps!

In D plural subject does not agree with "attests"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2018, 13:21
kablayi wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Hm, they found waterlogged latex balls in Mesoamerica from 900-400 b.c.?!? Wow, the 2018 OG is more interesting than I expected. (My copy of it is looking at me right now. I've barely had time to open it. :( )

TheMechanic wrote:
Eliminating option D took a while. Besides D being wordier than A, is there any thing else in D which renders it incorrect?

I think we could also argue that (D) doesn't really convey the meaning of the sentence as clearly as (A). In each answer choice, what is it that "attests to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established..."? In (A), it's the waterlogged balls themselves and the representations of the ballplayers that give us information about the ballgame -- and that makes a lot of sense. In (D), it's "the finding" (of the balls) and "the painting" (of the representations) that tells us about the history of the ballgame -- and that makes much less sense to me.

I'm not 100% sure that (D) would be absolutely wrong in isolation, but it conveys the meaning much less clearly than (A).

I hope this helps!

In D plural subject does not agree with "attests"

Yes! And I proudly(?) accepted my demerits above: https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-most-o ... l#p1877969.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2018, 02:14
Can any one explain why E is wrong ?
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GPA: 2.87
WE: Engineering (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 19:56

Hitting Kudos is the best way of appreciation. :)

Eric Thomas, "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

GMAT Club Bot
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 &nbs [#permalink] 25 Oct 2018, 19:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap