It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3303 [2], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2017, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Shiv2016 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja and @e-gmat

If the verb in both these options was 'attest', then which option would be correct?

(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(C) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests

Both would be correct - the meaning implied in the first case would be that the "painting" attests and in the second would be that the "ceramics" attest. Both these meanings make sense.

Note: The hypothetical subjunctive of verb "to be" is "were", NOT "was". Thus your sentence should be: If the verb in both these options was WERE 'attest'....

Kudos [?]: 3303 [2], given: 22

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 126

Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:20
carcass wrote:
Gmat is a test for managers (or future managers), in which you have to use logic and leverage your time at the best and in the most efficient way.

Conclusion: why you must spend millions of years to eviscerate a question, in which using the split singular/plural you boil down the answer choices between A and E, and as a consequence E is really bad, and from this A is the best. All this process in 25 seconds and move one the next question and level of difficulty...

This is the meaning of the test indeed. Keep in mind.

GMATNinja I am ready being stoned to death for what I said ...... :roll: :roll:

Hi,

Could you please explain what is wrong with E?
findings can attest if the balls can since both are inanimate..."E" is pefectly grammatical.

Since its OG ques I am definitely missing something. Kindly throw some light on what I am mis-interpreting.

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:30
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 799

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c., waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest
(B) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(C) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and ceramics painted with representations of ballplayers found at San Lorenzo attests
(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

The subordinate clause cannot modify 'the finding of waterlogged latex balls' Plus E has Subject Verb disagreement, and D is passive so D & E are OUT.
B,C have Subject Verb disagreement among other issues. Water logged balls and XXX are a compound subject which means we need a plural verb. So B,C are OUT.

A is the answer.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Last edited by akshayk on 20 Jul 2017, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 99

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 116 [1], given: 99

Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
gmatexam439 wrote:
carcass wrote:
Gmat is a test for managers (or future managers), in which you have to use logic and leverage your time at the best and in the most efficient way.

Conclusion: why you must spend millions of years to eviscerate a question, in which using the split singular/plural you boil down the answer choices between A and E, and as a consequence E is really bad, and from this A is the best. All this process in 25 seconds and move one the next question and level of difficulty...

Hi,

findings can attest if the balls can since both are inanimate..."E" is pefectly grammatical.

Since its OG ques I am definitely missing something. Kindly throw some light on what I am mis-interpreting.

Regards

The finding - Singular Subject
Attest - Plural Verb
So we have a Subject Verb disagreement in the sentence.

Put in the work, and that dream score is yours!

Kudos [?]: 116 [1], given: 99

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2017, 11:41
akshayk wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
carcass wrote:

Hi,

Regards

The finding - Singular Subject
Attest - Plural Verb
So we have a Subject Verb disagreement in the sentence.

SHIT!! I wrongly read it as finding"s" ..... thats y i was thinking why the hell are 2 options absolutely correct here ....
damn ... thanks bro :)

Kudos if my post helps!

Helpful links:
1. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 05:32
While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 900–400 b.c., waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest to the fact that the Mesoamerican ballgame was well established by the mid-thirteenth century b.c.

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest correct, others have issues with SV agreement
(D) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests
(E) the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and of representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics at San Lorenzo attest

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 24

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 15:47
AbdurRakib wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2018

Practice Question
Sentence Correction
Question No.: 799

(A) waterlogged latex balls found at El Manati and representations of ballplayers painted on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attest

The usage of "and" in the original sentence constitutes a compound subject; therefore, the usage of "attest," a plural form of the verb "attest," is actually correct.

A

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 164

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 47

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 07:30
Hi @gmatninja, Experts,

I believe that options B and D can also be discarded as they change the meaning.

They imply that a single painting was found. Moreover, it is unclear if the painting was "on ceramics" or the painting was of "representation of ballplayers on ceramics".

Please confirm if this understanding is correct

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 47

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 13:54
kunal1608 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, Experts,

I believe that options B and D can also be discarded as they change the meaning.

They imply that a single painting was found. Moreover, it is unclear if the painting was "on ceramics" or the painting was of "representation of ballplayers on ceramics".

Please confirm if this understanding is correct

Hello kunal1608,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

Yes, the meaning issue that you have identified in Choice B and D is correct.

Well done there. Keep up the good job. :thumbup:

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9041 [0], given: 335

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 112

Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2017, 20:51
Hi,
Am not clear on why D is wrong ?

the finding is singular so does the verb "attests"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 112

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7908 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2017, 07:56
Top Contributor
Quote:
D. the finding of waterlogged latex balls at El Manati and the painting of representations of ballplayers on ceramics found at San Lorenzo attests

D may not be excluded just on a simplistic view that it is not concise. There is more stylistic as well as unclear grammar about it than what meets the eye.
One could imply a few things about D as below

1. " The finding of the ball and the painting" "--- When we refer to some nouns generically, it is a good style to use plurals. Else, we may suffer inadvertently from referencing any particular event of a phenomenon because no one draws judgments from singular occurrences. They are deduced from several evidences. Maybe ---the finding or the painting -- is not as appropriate as its plural.
2."The finding of" as singular subject at the beginning is redundant with the participle found at the rear part.
3. Structurally, the finding of --- waterlogged latex balls and the painting of representations found --- is not parallel. One may note that they are two different phenomena at two different locations and cannot be grouped in a single observation. In contrast, one can see how neatly the parallelism has been espoused in A.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7908 [0], given: 364

Re: While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2017, 07:56

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

While most of the earliest known ball courts in Mesoamerica date to 90

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap