Last visit was: 21 May 2024, 05:40 It is currently 21 May 2024, 05:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1   2   3   4  ...  43   
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51529 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [3]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.71
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 589 [1]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Re: ISB 2018 Intake Class of 2019: Calling all applicants [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ag111 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

While ISB seems to be influenced a lot by US Business Schools and tries to emulate a similar processes in it own way (importance of holistic / uniqueness in your profile etc), I do not have enough exposure on IIM's(esp IIM-A PGPX and IIM-B EPGP). What are the factors that are important for them? Given the average work experience of the batch lies between 8-9 years how do they view someone with 4.5-6 years of experience. Certainly the later category will have less managerial experience and also lesser impact. Is that a disadvantage? I recently e-mailed IIM A admissions team and they responded that 10% of their current batch has 4-5 years of experience which seems pretty low considering the batch size was 80.

Of the past successful candidates who had <6 years of experience what was the differentiating factor in their profile? I came to know that V.K.Menon, who was ex-ISB admission director(or of some similar post), has now joined IIM-B and handling marketing of EPGP Program. He is trying to change a lot in terms of admission process and wants to emulate ISB's processes. However the minimum experience bar is still kept at 5 years and batch size is still around 100-120. Can experts share more insights? It will be great for all applicants focusing on Indian B Schools! Thanks a lot! Hoping to get good discussion around this.

"Valar dohaeris!"

MBADecoder, ABatExpertsGlobal, EduSimplified, Apphelp, strategy4gmat1, ISBeacon
(Looking fwd to your expert opinions)

Hi AG,

Thanks for looping us in the conversation.

So while we are talking about ISB, I'd just add one thing which really strikes me about it- thanks to their affiliations at the time of founding the b-school, they get faculty from the best business schools in the world to teach the class. That's an unparalleled advantage for Indian students. Every time I talk to students, this emerges as a key benefit of their experience.

Of all the IIMS, IIMA PGPX has students with highest work experience. Things may shake up a little at IIMA as they are doubling their class size this year. IIMB put a cap last year, discouraging applicants with 12 + years experience to apply and that continues this year. So these factors may govern your decision to apply to these colleges.

As to your question of applying with lesser experience- I think its a subjective thing. You may have built real quality experience within your 5-6 years, as compared to a guy you has about 8. Think in terms of your leadership potential, career progress and the ability to make an impact (with solid examples to back this up). So it really depends on how strong can you make your application. That said, if you think you should wait 1-2 years before you apply, that approach is also ok. I can have a look at your profile in more detail to help you make that decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:

Hi AG,

Thanks for looping us in the conversation.

So while we are talking about ISB, I'd just add one thing which really strikes me about it- thanks to their affiliations at the time of founding the b-school, they get faculty from the best business schools in the world to teach the class. That's an unparalleled advantage for Indian students. Every time I talk to students, this emerges as a key benefit of their experience.

Of all the IIMS, IIMA PGPX has students with highest work experience. Things may shake up a little at IIMA as they are doubling their class size this year. IIMB put a cap last year, discouraging applicants with 12 + years experience to apply and that continues this year. So these factors may govern your decision to apply to these colleges.

As to your question of applying with lesser experience- I think its a subjective thing. You may have built real quality experience within your 5-6 years, as compared to a guy you has about 8. Think in terms of your leadership potential, career progress and the ability to make an impact (with solid examples to back this up). So it really depends on how strong can you make your application. That said, if you think you should wait 1-2 years before you apply, that approach is also ok. I can have a look at your profile in more detail to help you make that decision.

Thanks for the response. When a school has 8.5 yr avg experience(IIM A) or 7 yrs avg exp (IIM B) that to me clearly indicates that school favors managerial experience more over leadership experience. I think IIM's still consider their I Yr programs as Executives programs that are targeted to mid level managers and want to move to sr. managerial roles. The facts that you have provided are good but those are available in their website as well. I was looking more info on the above lines, something that only consultants would know as they have worked with several applicants in the past. Thanks again!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
I will be reapplying in Round 1. Applied last year in Round 2, had my interview in Feb, however couldn't convert.

1. Is there any advantage of applying early even in Round 1 (before deadline)
2. My Gmat score is 670 only. Should I try it again?

Please let me know your suggestions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V28
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Applied last year in R2 with GMAT 660. Targeting R1 this year.

Also, after attempting GMAT twice, second time the score was 630!, and getting disheartened with GMAT i am writing GRE in September. Will it be a negative sign from application point of view?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V28
Send PM
I will be reapplying and have not given my gmat yet.

I am not confident about my preparations to give GMAT again before september.
I have 3 years of experience in manufacturing as on July 2017 and my gmat score is 660.
Is it beneficial to apply with the same score or should I wait for R2?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
Applying in R1, GMAT on 10th Aug! Fingers crossed!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nisha lamba wrote:

I have 3 years of experience in manufacturing as on July 2017 and my gmat score is 660.

Have you written to ISB admissions and inquired about the reason for the rejection? If low GMAT score was one of the reasons it is highly recommended that you re-take and wait for R-2. Give you best shot. No matter even if your GMAT score improvement is not as expected because on a flip side it would also show that you act upon the advice and have shown your resilience when the situation challenged you. Some of the qualities of a business leader. I was recently browsing videos of Ross Business School, University of Michigan on youtube and the director of admissions, Soojin Kwon exactly echoed the above. Sometimes it is not just about the end results but the choices you made. Good luck!

Here is the link of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3ROa8G4Es
(She is awesome! You may end up watching all her videos)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Marketing (Education)
Send PM
ag111 wrote:
nisha lamba wrote:

Have you written to ISB admissions and inquired about the reason for the rejection? If low GMAT score was one of the reasons it is highly recommended that you re-take and wait for R-2. Give you best shot. No matter even if your GMAT score improvement is not as expected because on a flip side it would also show that you act upon the advice and have shown your resilience when the situation challenged you. Some of the qualities of a business leader. I was recently browsing videos of Ross Business School, University of Michigan on youtube and the director of admissions, Soojin Kwon exactly echoed the above. Sometimes it is not just about the end results but the choices you made. Good luck!

Here is the link of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3ROa8G4Es
(She is awesome! You may end up watching all her videos)

That's very informative...thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my A0001 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Hello, I am Mohit (Age-32). Kindly review my profile for ISB Application.
I got 690 Score( Q-50, V-33) in GMAT (second attempt). I have 7 years of work experience in Production Planning and Control department in Steel industry. I am M TECH in chemical Engineering from IIT Bombay (CGPA - 8.3) & B E in Chemical Engg. from VNSGU, Surat (65% aggregate). 12th - 64% & 10th - 84.5%.
Have founded a start up in K-12 Education system which provides practical learning approach to children (involved with job in the venture for 4 years).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: ISB '19 (A)
GPA: 3.79
Send PM