Last visit was: 28 May 2024, 11:33 It is currently 28 May 2024, 11:33
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4687 [159]
Given Kudos: 640
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4687 [40]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32911 [2]
Given Kudos: 310
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [3]
Given Kudos: 54
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: Even though his predilection for initiating legal proceedings against [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I missed the intended meaning and choose A ..
After revisiting the sentence , C seems best , contrast is A is not required ...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: ISB '19 IIMA
Send PM
Re: Even though his predilection for initiating legal proceedings against [#permalink]
I am stuck between option A and C, and more of inclined towards A, Can you give your explanation for this question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
Kudos
I would like to go for A instead of C .

C changes the meaning. A says that the politician's predilection for legal action is basically a common knowledge for all and it is unlikely to upset his supporters.
But in C says that the politician inclines to initiate legal action without the common knowledge of his detractors .That is totally different meaning and we should not go for the alternate meaning unless it is the only logical option.

But I think the question could have been written in a better way.There is no need to use the contrast even though in option A.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4687 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
I would like to go for A instead of C .

C changes the meaning. A says that the politician's predilection for legal action is basically a common knowledge for all and it is unlikely to upset his supporters.
But in C says that the politician inclines to initiate legal action without the common knowledge of his detractors .That is totally different meaning and we should not go for the alternate meaning unless it is the only logical option.

But I think the question could have been written in a better way.There is no need to use the contrast even though in option A.
You'll have to be slightly careful about "changes the meaning". Generally, you should read the sentence and all the 5 options. Then you should ask yourself what the correct meaning should be. That is, don't assume that A will always communicate the right meaning.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42121 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Quote:
C) His predilection for initiating legal proceedings against his detractors common knowledge and unlikely to upset his supporters

Grammatically, one doubt about the correct choice C is whether it displays correct parallelism around the conjunction ' and' with a noun on one side and another infinitive phrase on the other.

Logically, the irony of his own supporters being unlikely to be upset about his penchant for the legal action raises doubts whether they are his supporters at all.

Structurally, is there anything amiss in the introductory modifier in C? There is a noun 'predilection' in the main modifier and another noun 'common knowledge' standing aloof and nested with it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
Grammatically, one doubt about the correct choice C is whether it displays correct parallelism around the conjunction ' and' with a noun on one side and another infinitive phrase on the other.

Logically, the irony of his own supporters being unlikely to be upset about his penchant for the legal action raises doubts whether they are his supporters at all.

Structurally, is there anything amiss in the introductory modifier in C? There is a noun 'predilection' in the main modifier and another noun 'common knowledge' standing aloof and nested with it.
The elements joined by the and may not appear parallel, but they are. It may be that we are not applying parallelism the same way. For example, would you consider the following not parallel?

... the fight, each of the last three rounds five minutes long and requiring more energy than either fighter appeared to have.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4687 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sarbjeetsingh777 wrote:
I am stuck between option A and C, and more of inclined towards A, Can you give your explanation for this question?
The explanation given by chetan2u is correct: we do not want the contrast that the even though in option A introduces.

Even though pursuing the case in court had no disadvantages, he pursued the case in court.

This meaning is unexpected, as we would expect someone to pursue a case in court because of [NO DISADVANTAGES], not despite [NO DISADVANTAGES].
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42121 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Would you pl. confirm whether your quote is from a GMAT context? If it is from any other source, then you may appreciate the futility of discussing it here, as we have seen often that other contexts including from those of top journals and magazines may be wide off from GMAT traditions.

However, if they were parallel, would you kindly define that parallelism, such as whether it is verb parallelism, or infinitive parallelism or noun parallelism or prepositional parallelism or adverbial or adjectival parallelism? Parallelism in GMAT is required to be structurally parallel too.

Any comments with regard to other queries in my post, please.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
Would you pl. confirm whether your quote is from a GMAT context? If it is from any other source, then you may appreciate the futility of discussing it here, as we have seen often that other contexts including from those of top journals and magazines may be wide off from GMAT traditions.

However, if they were parallel, would you kindly define that parallelism, such as whether it is verb parallelism, or infinitive parallelism or noun parallelism or prepositional parallelism or adverbial or adjectival parallelism? Parallelism in GMAT is required to be structurally parallel too.

Any comments with regard to other queries in my post, please.
It's not. I came up with that sentence while typing out my reply. Are you saying that the sentence is parallel (but not parallel enough) for the GMAT or that it is not parallel at all?

As for your other query, it's the same thing: why would you say that putting two nouns together leads to a structural error? As in, where are you coming from on this?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42121 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
If it is not a GMAT quote but your personal one, IMO, they are not parallel. As also in other points raised by me,
it is seen that the two nouns stated are not even separated by a punctuation mark. If such constructions are your own personal styles, you are entitled to them, as much as one need not entertain them. Best of luck
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
If it is not a GMAT quote but your personal one, IMO, they are not parallel. As also in other points raised by me,
it is seen that the two nouns stated are not even separated by a punctuation mark. If such constructions are your own personal styles, you are entitled to them, as much as one need not entertain them. Best of luck
That is again incorrect. A punctuation mark is the last thing that option needs in between those two nouns. However, I agree that it is best to end this particular discussion here.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42121 [1]
Send PM