Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 12:50 It is currently 01 May 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51463 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51463 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
What are our thoughts on the video essay seriousness in responses? Are we trying to stay within the professional/applicant role? I.e if the question is what would you do with an extra hour every day do we think we should keep it like "give me another chance to help out with ___non-profit xyz___I currently work with".

Or something more casual such as "really want to spend more time reading books and would probably use the hour to get into some big fiction novels, maybe even start the Game of Thrones novels"?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
redfield wrote:
What are our thoughts on the video essay seriousness in responses? Are we trying to stay within the professional/applicant role? I.e if the question is what would you do with an extra hour every day do we think we should keep it like "give me another chance to help out with ___non-profit xyz___I currently work with".

Or something more casual such as "really want to spend more time reading books and would probably use the hour to get into some big fiction novels, maybe even start the Game of Thrones novels"?

I think that either is appropriate. Just be honest with what you would do as long as it is an appropriate thing to tell your boss/say in an interview I believe it would be an appropriate answer for the ice breaker question. The other questions generally have to be professional because of just the nature of the question but they also just want to get to know who you are as a person. Btw I actually got a similar question in my video essay and my answer was to read because it is a personal hobby that I enjoy but don't have a lot of time for and because I like to use reading as a means of personal development. Plus I also founded a professional women's book club. So mine I guess was kinda professional but it was also just a genuine answer as to what I would do..I kinda almost feel like the first answer might come off as too scripted but it depends on how its delivered and how it fits in with you as a person.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
redfield wrote:

I think that either is appropriate. Just be honest with what you would do as long as it is an appropriate thing to tell your boss/say in an interview I believe it would be an appropriate answer for the ice breaker question. The other questions generally have to be professional because of just the nature of the question but they also just want to get to know who you are as a person. Btw I actually got a similar question in my video essay and my answer was to read because it is a personal hobby that I enjoy but don't have a lot of time for and because I like to use reading as a means of personal development. Plus I also founded a professional women's book club. So mine I guess was kinda professional but it was also just a genuine answer as to what I would do..I kinda almost feel like the first answer might come off as too scripted but it depends on how its delivered and how it fits in with you as a person.

Posted from my mobile device

This is great advice. Remember with feedback and interviewing at MBA programs -- the admissions committee really prizes work experience above all else so if you do what you do in the workplace when you're in front of them, then you'll be fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V163
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
Submitted + finished my video essay. Whew, I'm still shaking :o
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm doing that today. Any thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.85
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Is it necessary that the recommenders submit the recommendations before the deadline? I am wary of one of the recommenders. He is lagging and I fear that he won't be able to submit his recommendation by 20th. I am done with my part of the application and am waiting for the recommender to submit the recommendations before I hit the submit button. If I submit the application today/tomorrow and the recommender submits the recommendations after 20th (say 21st or 22nd), will I be considered in R1 or R2?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
DigitsnLetters wrote:
Is it necessary that the recommenders submit the recommendations before the deadline? I am wary of one of the recommenders. He is lagging and I fear that he won't be able to submit his recommendation by 20th. I am done with my part of the application and am waiting for the recommender to submit the recommendations before I hit the submit button. If I submit the application today/tomorrow and the recommender submits the recommendations after 20th (say 21st or 22nd), will I be considered in R1 or R2?

Hey DigitsnLetters

Someone else had this question over in the Admissions Consultant forum for Kellogg and Booth so you can see what some consultants said there- https://gmatclub.com/forum/letter-of-re ... 49353.html

The questioner also later commented that they called Kellogg and was told they allow recommenders to submit 48 hours after the deadline, so sounds like the 21st or 22nd should be fine. One admissions consultant commented that it was a week for Kellogg and Booth, but am not sure what that is based on. They also could have commenting on the time between the post and actual deadline. Probably should plan on the 48-hour answer from the adcoms (and might call yourself just to confirm) to be safe.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ThadGA08 wrote:

Hey DigitsnLetters

Someone else had this question over in the Admissions Consultant forum for Kellogg and Booth so you can see what some consultants said there- https://gmatclub.com/forum/letter-of-re ... 49353.html

The questioner also later commented that they called Kellogg and was told they allow recommenders to submit 48 hours after the deadline, so sounds like the 21st or 22nd should be fine. One admissions consultant commented that it was a week for Kellogg and Booth, but am not sure what that is based on. They also could have commenting on the time between the post and actual deadline. Probably should plan on the 48-hour answer from the adcoms (and might call yourself just to confirm) to be safe.

Hey ThadGA08

That is a big relief. Thanks a ton. I got in touch with the recommender and he said that he has started working on the reccos. He said he will need a day or two. I checked the application status and found that the status has changed to 'in progress'. Relief yes, but only just! ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
GRE 1: Q163 V163
GPA: 3.39
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
I'm doing that today. Any thoughts?

Might not be so helpful if you've already submitted, but I wouldn't overthink it. One minute doesn't seem like enough time to go into your full explanation of your future path and about Kellogg. I ended up practicing a lot, and time flew by when I was actually doing it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Gah, just finished submitting my video component. Didn't go as well as I've planned, but now it's a waiting game. Best of luck to you all!
Current Student
Send PM
bigbirdferda wrote:
Gah, just finished submitting my video component. Didn't go as well as I've planned, but now it's a waiting game. Best of luck to you all!

Haha I'm not sure it ever does go as well as we'd hope. Last year I ran out of time and it threw me off my game the other two.

But at least you're done, I'm afraid to submit my application until my other recommendation is submitted because they're stalling and I may have to enact a third recommender to rush one for me. Me against the clock before I can worry about the video essays.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
The anxiety starts. Last year Kellogg was pretty random with its interview invites. That's good and scary at the same time.
Current Student
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
The anxiety starts. Last week Kellogg was pretty random with its interview invites. That's good and scary at the same time.

How so? I'm pretty certain Kellogg interviews everyone, one of the few programs (only one I'm aware of) that does this rather than by invite only.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Kellogg does not interview everyone from India. In fact, the proportion of people getting a waiver was quite huge last year. They don't say that but I honestly think your chances are reduced if you get a waiver. No way to back it up: just anecdotal evidence from the last years forums.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
The anxiety starts. Last week Kellogg was pretty random with its interview invites. That's good and scary at the same time.

Whaaaatttttt???!!! :o Kellogg is sending out invites already? :roll:
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ugh. I meant last year. Please don't stress out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Ugh. I meant last year. Please don't stress out.

Big relief. :dazen Phew! :-) :upsidedown
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts