Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 491 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 550 Q37 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 5: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Kellogg MBA Applicants(2018 Intake) Class of 2020! [#permalink]
Top Contributor
FuturePM91 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help! I have about 72 words to go. I am definitely trying to say things more succinctly but still want to make sure that I am spending enough time on the most important aspects of the essay as well, so I appreciate your insight!

Try to do peer review. The person who knows you better and see what you can add or remove from the essay..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FuturePM91 wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
Guys,

The application is open. Let's get this going!!

WOOHOO!

I have a question re: the tweaked essay #1....I am currently working on editing my essays down to the word limit...I've got about 200 words left to cut. I am trying to decide where to cut it from: 1. the challenges faced 2. the solutions I implemented 3. The long term impact (the new part of the question 4. Lessons learned or 5. How those lessons will carry on to my experience at Kellogg.....any opinions on which part I should cut from???

None of these sections should be "cut". As mentioned by another user above, try to mention the same thing succinctly. Go for peer review as Gnpth mentioned. Your essays should provide all the 5 things you mentioned to paint a 'complete picture'.
Director
Director
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
Guys,

The application is open. Let's get this going!!

WOOHOO!

I have a question re: the tweaked essay #1....I am currently working on editing my essays down to the word limit...I've got about 200 words left to cut. I am trying to decide where to cut it from: 1. the challenges faced 2. the solutions I implemented 3. The long term impact (the new part of the question 4. Lessons learned or 5. How those lessons will carry on to my experience at Kellogg.....any opinions on which part I should cut from???

None of these sections should be "cut". As mentioned by another user above, try to mention the same thing succinctly. Go for peer review as Gnpth mentioned. Your essays should provide all the 5 things you mentioned to paint a 'complete picture'.

Hi! Yeah, I wasn't saying eliminate all together...I was just wondering which I should spend the most time on and which I can shorten
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FuturePM91 wrote:
Hi! Yeah, I wasn't saying eliminate all together...I was just wondering which I should spend the most time on and which I can shorten

This is a question that can be answered only after you let the person review your entire essay as eliminating or shortening information from even 1 section can throw the balance of the essay off. Write your first draft and get it reviewed by someone either on this forum or otherwise. 1 thing I used to do was to write a draft previous evening and review the entire draft the next day and try to be neutral about it, even being ruthless to an extent while critiquing it.

Hope this helps.
Director
Director
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
FuturePM91 wrote:

This is a question that can be answered only after you let the person review your entire essay as eliminating or shortening information from even 1 section can throw the balance of the essay off. Write your first draft and get it reviewed by someone either on this forum or otherwise. 1 thing I used to do was to write a draft previous evening and review the entire draft the next day and try to be neutral about it, even being ruthless to an extent while critiquing it.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful suggestion thank you! I probably am getting a little bit too into the woods with it, a revisit later is probably in order.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi All-

Checking in here. Looking forward to going through this process with all of you!
VP
VP
Send PM
Top Contributor
JMBA wrote:
Hi All-

Checking in here. Looking forward to going through this process with all of you!

Hi JMBA Welcome. And all the best for your application!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
One thing that I have learned is that there is inherent redundancy in early drafts. You'd be surprised if you do this exercise.

1. Remove a complete sentence from the essay.
2. Does essay still make sense?
3. If, then redundance.

One other thing I wanted to note is that you mentioned in #5 that you are writing about how those lessons will translate into your learning aka growth at Kellogg. I have a feeling that they might not always be the same thing.

What I mean is.

Grim situation X happened --- You did Y and convinced some other people to achieve some results Z and some other result V which was long term evidenced by P, Q and R --- In the process of Z you learned A and B -- At Kellogg you will grow by doing E F and G and use them in your goals of M and N (short and long term).

I am running out of substitute alphabets.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Do applicants generally review each other's essays on the forum?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Not sure man. I don't think there's great value or great setbacks in peer reviewing. One thing that I like to do is to give my essays to someone who does not belong to my industry and see if my draft makes overall sense and answers the question well.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Gnpth wrote:
JMBA wrote:
Hi All-

Hi JMBA Welcome. And all the best for your application!

Thank you very much!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
One thing that I have learned is that there is inherent redundancy in early drafts. You'd be surprised if you do this exercise.

1. Remove a complete sentence from the essay.
2. Does essay still make sense?
3. If, then redundance.

One other thing I wanted to note is that you mentioned in #5 that you are writing about how those lessons will translate into your learning aka growth at Kellogg. I have a feeling that they might not always be the same thing.

What I mean is.

Grim situation X happened --- You did Y and convinced some other people to achieve some results Z and some other result V which was long term evidenced by P, Q and R --- In the process of Z you learned A and B -- At Kellogg you will grow by doing E F and G and use them in your goals of M and N (short and long term).

I am running out of substitute alphabets.

Great point but you want to use every single piece of real estate provided to you in the form of essays to directly mention something to the effect: " hey, I would love to be a part of this community as I have learnt the following a/b/c things from my experiences, that I can directly apply to enrich my experience at Kellogg..." etc. Even in 2015, I adopted this strategy for the leadership essay and only mentioned 2-3 lines honing onto the sentiment above. While for the other essay, I spent a lot of time on mentioning how I plan to grow at Kellogg.

As you said, things mentioned in #5 above and growth at Kellogg may/may not be the same thing. But you dont want to miss out on mentioning these 1-2 lines at the end.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks Engr2012 - absolutely agree. If it is possible to tie up learning in the past and align them with future learning from Kellogg, that is awesome. Also, thanks so much for sticking around to help potential applicants. I am connecting with a few other Kellogg students now :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Thanks Engr2012 - absolutely agree. If it is possible to tie up learning in the past and align them with future learning from Kellogg, that is awesome. Also, thanks so much for sticking around to help potential applicants. I am connecting with a few other Kellogg students now :)

For connecting with current students, 1 thing that people don't know is that you can reach out to different clubs at Kellogg (clubs pertaining to the field of interest, I'm sure that there will be a club for the industry you're looking for !! Additionally, send an email to the MBA Admissions to put you in touch with current students who've taken xyz course or are from a particular industry or even interning at a particular firm.

Both of these are great ways to connect with current students and get some good material for your essays and interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
VP
VP
Send PM
Top Contributor
Engr2012 wrote:

For connecting with current students, 1 thing that people don't know is that you can reach out to different clubs at Kellogg (clubs pertaining to the field of interest, I'm sure that there will be a club for the industry you're looking for !! Additionally, send an email to the MBA Admissions to put you in touch with current students who've taken xyz course or are from a particular industry or even interning at a particular firm.

Both of these are great ways to connect with current students and get some good material for your essays and interviews.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

You have been amazingly super helpful, which is as usual though from you. Thanks a lot for the valuable information. We owe you a big treat :beer :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
I'm a little late to the thread. I am applying Rd 1, will be visiting the Global Hub this week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V29
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66   
Moderators: