Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:04 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [1]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63682 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja Verbal Wednesdays, LIVE on YouTube -- ask your Qs here! [#permalink]
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
And we have another schedule change, ladies and gentlemen! The webinar scheduled for this Wednesday, November 8 will now be held on Thursday, November 9, at the usual time. (Half of the GMAT YouTube production team has a meeting with some fancy MBA program on Wednesday. I'll let you figure out which half. ;))

See you all on Thursday!

gmatexam439 -- we'll make sure that question gets covered, either in a webinar or in a QOTD or both!

Thank You GMATNinja ! Looking forward to a fruitful discussion :)

Asides, All the very best to the "half" of the team ;)

Regards
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja Verbal Wednesdays, LIVE on YouTube -- ask your Qs here! [#permalink]
Great session as usual GMATNinja

I would like to thank you for highlighting the GMAT prep question, I try as much as possible to avoid practicing on them. I had already answered it prior to the session and checked that my answer was correct but skipped the explanation. I would appreciate as well highlighting this in the document being sent prior to the session.

Looking forward for the upcoming session

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63682 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
NDND wrote:

I would like to thank you for highlighting the GMAT prep question, I try as much as possible to avoid practicing on them. I had already answered it prior to the session and checked that my answer was correct but skipped the explanation. I would appreciate as well highlighting this in the document being sent prior to the session.

Great idea, NDND! I'll continue to post the questions on the early side if I can, just in case anybody out there needs them a day or two ahead of the session... but I'll also make a point of highlighting the GMATPrep questions that are in the document, so that you can skip them if you prefer. Good call.

gmatexam439, we included the starfish question as today's QOTD: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-starfis ... 53036.html. I'll have a solution up later today, and will address your concern there. I may or may not add it into the webinar, too -- it just depends on how many comparison-related questions come up before then. :)

See you all on Thursday!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63682 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OK, here are the questions for this week's webinar! THURSDAY, November 9, 7:30 a.m. Pacific. Think of this session as Comparisons, Part II: Questions I Mostly Really Hate. :)

As requested, the only GMATPrep question is clearly marked in the file. And DIII, I worked yours into the mix for this week.

See you all soon!
Attachments

GMAT Ninja YouTube Comparisons Part 2 11.9.17.docx [93.99 KiB]
Downloaded 654 times

Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51453 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
See you guys in 5 minutes :)

https://youtu.be/Dsa-RaX765o
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [1]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 GMATNinja

Thanks you folks for such a superb compilation and awesome explanations!
The Halley's Comet and India's harvest Qs were the best of lot. We did cover
former one in our Wednesday's chat here but the inverted SV structure took me for a ride.

For upcoming webinar:
Could you cover any time saving approach for evaluate Qs since most
of the articles ask YES/NO Q to each and every answer choice much like
negation technique in Assumption types.

Looking forward for more learning and active participation.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63682 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:
souvik101990 GMATNinja

Thanks you folks for such a superb compilation and awesome explanations!
The Halley's Comet and India's harvest Qs were the best of lot. We did cover
former one in our Wednesday's chat here but the inverted SV structure took me for a ride.

For upcoming webinar:
Could you cover any time saving approach for evaluate Qs since most
of the articles ask YES/NO Q to each and every answer choice much like
negation technique in Assumption types.

Looking forward for more learning and active participation.

Thank you, adkikani! You're talking about "evaluate the argument" CR questions, correct? I'm not sure that I'll have a lot of magical time-saving approaches, but I'll definitely talk quite a bit about "efficiency" when we cover those.

If you have a particular official question in mind, feel free to post it here, and I'll add it to the mix if it's of an appropriate difficulty level. (Too easy isn't great, too hard might also be awkward for a CR technique lesson...)
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
GMATNinja

Quote:
You're talking about "evaluate the argument" CR questions, correct?

Yes.

Let me know if below Q can be included in your sessions:

Capuchin monkeys in Venezuela often rub a certain type of millepede into their fur. Secretions of these millipedes have been shown to contain two chemicals that are potent mosquito repellents, and mosquitoes carry parasites that debilitate the capuchins. The rubbing behavior is rare except during the rainy season, when mosquito populations are at their peak. Therefore monkeys probably rub millipedes into their fur only because doing so helps protect them against mosquitoes.

Which of the following would be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument.

(A) Whether the two chemicals provide any protection for millipedes against their own repellents.

(B) Whether the type of millipede used by the capuchin monkeys in Venezuela is found in other parts of the world.

(C) Whether animals other than capuchins rub insects of any kind into their fur

(D) Whether the only time millipedes are readily available to capuchins is during rainy season

(E) Whether secretions of any other insects accessible to capuchins contain chemicals that repel the mosquitoes

This Q is from GMAT prep, but I believe it is from retarded question bank as found here in 2008.

My query is : do we have to find YES/NO answer to each POE or can we eliminate few of the options if we are in time crunch.
Do share your insights!
Own Kudos [?]: 1971 [0]
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
NDND wrote:

Great idea, NDND! I'll continue to post the questions on the early side if I can, just in case anybody out there needs them a day or two ahead of the session... but I'll also make a point of highlighting the GMATPrep questions that are in the document, so that you can skip them if you prefer. Good call.

gmatexam439, we included the starfish question as today's QOTD: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-starfis ... 53036.html. I'll have a solution up later today, and will address your concern there. I may or may not add it into the webinar, too -- it just depends on how many comparison-related questions come up before then. :)

See you all on Thursday!

Thank you GMATNinja for including the question in QOTD. Sorry for the delayed response because I was ill and was on bed rest for whole last week.

Regards
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 620 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V26
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Join us for YouTube LIVE verbal sessions every Wednesday from 7:30-8:30 a.m. Pacific time! We'll alternate between a lecture format and live Q&A sessions on the GMAT Club YouTube channel.

We did a session on simplifying GMAT verb tenses earlier today, and we want next week's Q&A session to address topics that you want to learn about. So please enter your questions in this thread, and we'll answer as many as we can each week.

Here's the calendar of webinar topics through November, with links to the videos from past sessions:

One friendly warning: my wonderful wife is eight months' pregnant, so there's a chance that a November or December session will get canceled on short notice. Subscribe to this thread, and we'll provide updates if the schedule changes.

And more importantly: please ask your questions in advance(!!), and we'll address the best of them in the Wednesday sessions.

See you on YouTube!

Hi GMATNinja,
Hats off to you for such awesome tutorials. These are real eye openers. May I request you to help us out with these two GMAT Prep strengthen questions in an upcoming session?

1.Political Advertisement: Mayor Delmont's critics complain about the jobs that were lost in the city under Delmont's leadership. Yet the fact is that not only were more jobs created than were eliminated, but the average pay for these new jobs has been higher than the average pay for jobs citywide every year since Delmont took office. So there can be no question that throughout Delmont's tenure the average paycheck in this city has been getting steadily bigger.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument in the advertisement?

(A) The average pay for jobs created in the city during the past three years was higher than the average pay for jobs created in the city earlier in Mayor Delmont's tenure.

(B) Average pay in the city was at a ten-year low when Mayor Delmont took office.

(C) Some of the jobs created in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure have in the meantime been eliminated again.

(D) The average pay for jobs eliminated in the city during Mayor Delmont's tenure has been roughly equal every year to the average pay for jobs citywide.

(E) The average pay for jobs in the city is currently higher than it is for jobs in the suburbs surrounding the city.

2. Smithtown University’s fund-raisers succeeded in getting donations from 80 percent of the potential donors they contacted. This success rate, exceptionally high for university fund-raisers, does not indicate that they were doing a good job. On the contrary, since the people most likely to donate are those who have donated in the past, good fund-raisers constantly try less-likely prospects in an effort to expand the donor base. The high success rate shows insufficient canvassing effort.

Which of the following, if true, provides more support for the argument?

(A) Smithtown University’s fund-raisers were successful in their contacts with potential donors who had never given before about as frequently as were fund-raisers for other universities in their contacts with such people.
(B) This year the average size of the donations to Smithtown University from new donors when the university’s fund-raisers had contacted was larger than the average size of donations from donors who had given to the university before.
(C) This year most of the donations that came to Smithtown University from people who had previously donated to it were made without the university’s fund-raisers having made any contact with the donors.
(D) The majority of the donations that fund-raisers succeeded in getting for Smithtown University this year were from donors who had never given to the university before.
(E) More than half of the money raised by Smithtown University’s fund-raisers came from donors who had never previously donated to the university.

Regards and Kudos
Manish
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63682 [24]

Send PM
Kudos