Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [134]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [33]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [10]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [1]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by [#permalink]
Kudos
Bulleride wrote:
Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, in addition to the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies.

A) are increasingly discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, in addition to the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies
B) are increasingly discouraged by the fact that viewership is shrinking and that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet
C) increasingly are discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as by the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet
D) increasingly are discouraged by shrinking viewership, the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, the competition from new services that stream content over the internet, and traditional movies
E) increasingly are discouraged because viewership is shrinking, viewers are fast-forwarding through commercials, and the competition from traditional movies as well as new services that stream content over the internet

I was confused between A and C. I went in for C, however, I am not sure if it is the best answer choice. Could you shed some light on the same? Perhaps provide the OE. I feel the OA should be A. Could you confirm that, please?

Regards,
Vaibhav
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Re: Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by [#permalink]
Hi,

from what I remember, 'as well as' is used to indicate an afterthought...and what follows after 'as well as' isn't an afterthought but one of the factors that is had led purchasers of TV ads to be discouraged from purchasing tv ads...request you to post the official explanation...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [3]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, in addition to the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies.

A) are increasingly discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, in addition to the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies <- stream content over internet AND movies? nope
But this option gives a good idea what the intended meaning is:
purchasers are discouraged by
1. shrinking viewership
2. the fact that many...
3. competition from streaming services
4. competition from movies

B) are increasingly discouraged by the fact that viewership is shrinking and that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet <-- that structure not followed; parallelism issues

C) increasingly are discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as by the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet <- makes sublist of point 3 and 4, which is fine!

D) increasingly are discouraged by shrinking viewership, the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, the competition from new services that stream content over the internet, and traditional movies

E) increasingly are discouraged because viewership is shrinking, viewers are fast-forwarding through commercials, and the competition from traditional movies as well as new services that stream content over the internet

D & E have clear parallelism issues.
Answer: C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by [#permalink]
I answered B as the correct choice .
My reasoning
I personally feel B should be correct . discouraged by [the fact ......... ]as well as the competition ...... Here fact and competition are nouns and parallel .
discouraged by shrinking viewership and many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as by the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet
In C , by A and by B , as well as by C. How is this structure parallel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
Kudos
The common structure here is- Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged ... so if we list out,
C. discouraged by shrinking viewership
discouraged by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as
discouraged by the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet.
whereas in B,
B. discouraged by the fact that viewership is shrinking and
discouraged that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as
discouraged the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet - incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
For answer choice B, I am failing to see how it is not parallel. "purchasers are discouraged by THE FACT, as well as THE COMPETITION. Both are nouns and they both follow the same structure. Why is this not parallel?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:
For answer choice B, I am failing to see how it is not parallel. "purchasers are discouraged by THE FACT, as well as THE COMPETITION. Both are nouns and they both follow the same structure. Why is this not parallel?

Good catch.

While a second "by" after "as well as" would perhaps make (B) easier to read, (B) is basically parallel as written.

Meanwhile, in (C), the placement of "increasingly" is suboptimal. It makes more sense to place "increasingly" directly before "discouraged," as "increasingly" is in (B).

The point to be made is not that the purchasers "increasingly are" something. The point to be made is that the purchasers are "increasingly discouraged."

At the same time, in (B), "by the fact that x and that y" does not make complete sense. We have two facts, but the singular "fact" is used. Ideally, either "fact" would be repeated before the second "that" or the plural "facts" would be used.

Great point. So to re-iterate, the issue with B is that facts has not been made plural to properly refer to the TWO facts that follow?
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kchen1994 wrote:
Great point. So to re-iterate, the issue with B is that facts has not been made plural to properly refer to the TWO facts that follow?

Yes, that is the issue with (B).

That said, I am not sure whether (B) or (C) is better. "Increasingly are" in (C) is pretty illogical as well.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Purchasers of television advertising are increasingly discouraged by [#permalink]
kchen1994 wrote:

That said, I am not sure whether (B) or (C) is better. "Increasingly are" in (C) is pretty illogical as well.

Hi Marty,

Do you find it logical to compare 'shrinking' and 'the fact' in this sentence?
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
kchen1994 wrote:

Hi Marty,

Hi.

I find that, in this context, using "shrinking viewership" and "the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials" as two elements of the same list is fine.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:

I received a PM requesting that I respond.
No comparison appears in the OA.

C: discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials
Here, and serves to connect the two modifiers in blue.
Each blue modifier is an ADVERB expressing HOW purchasers are discouraged.
Question:
HOW are purchasers discouraged?
Answer:
They are discouraged BY SHRINKING VIEWERSHIP.
They are discouraged BY THE FACT THAT MANY VIEWERS FAST-FORWARD THROUGH COMMERCIALS.
Since the two blue portions serve the same grammatical and semantic purpose, it seems logical to connect them with a conjunction such as and.

Parallel forms need not look the same.
Consider the following OA in the OG19:
Seldom more than 40 feet wide or 12 feet deep but running 363 miles across the rugged wilderness of upstate New York, the Erie Canal connected the Hudson River at Albany to the Great Lakes at Buffalo.
Here, the two blue portions are constructed differently:
The second begins with a VERBing modifier.
The first does not.
Even so, the two blue portions are considered parallel because each is an adjective serving to describe the following subject (the Erie Canal).
Since the two blue portions serve the same grammatical and semantic purpose, it is logical to connect them with a conjunction such as but.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

C: discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials
Question:
Answer:
They are discouraged BY THE FACT THAT MANY VIEWERS FAST-FORWARD THROUGH COMMERCIALS.
Since the two blue portions serve the same grammatical and semantic purpose, it seems logical to connect them with a conjunction such as and.

Thanks GMATGuruNY

Thanks for your explanation.

1- In OA, if 'and' is omitted, could the choice still correct and still parallel?

2- Is 'as well as + prposition' correct? I recall one of your earlier posts, if not mistaken, that this construction is not true.

Thanks in advance
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Question:
Answer:

Thanks GMATGuruNY

1- In OA, if 'and' is omitted, could the choice still correct and still parallel?

In the OA, and may not be omitted.
The two by-modifiers must be connected by a conjunction.

Quote:
2- Is 'as well as + prposition' correct? I recall one of your earlier posts, if not mistaken, that this construction is not true.

If at some point in the GMAT's history it was considered improper for as well as to be followed by a preposition, that rule is no longer valid.
SC136 in the OG16:
That a ruined structure found at Aqaba, Jordan, was probably a church is indicated by its eastward orientation and overall plan, as well as by the artifacts, such as glass-oil lamp fragments, found at the site.
In the OA, as well as is followed by the prepositional modifier in blue.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Question:
Answer:

Thanks GMATGuruNY

In the OA, and may not be omitted.
The two by-modifiers must be connected by a conjunction.

Hi GMATGuruNY

I apologize for the confusion. In my first question, I meant to ask, if we can omit the second 'by'? Like the example:
Next week I'm going to go shopping and to swim in the sea. Here we can omit second to could be mitted but meaning and grammar are correct.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Hi GMATGuruNY

I apologize for the confusion. In my first question, I meant to ask, if we can omit the second 'by'? Like the example:
Next week I'm going to go shopping and to swim in the sea. Here we can omit second to could be mitted but meaning and grammar are correct.

C, with the second by omitted:
discouraged by shrinking viewership and the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials
Here, the two blue portions are each intended to serve as an object of by, but they are structured so differently that the sentence is hard to follow.
The addition of a second by seems needed to make the intention clear:
discouraged BY shrinking viewership and BY the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials
The second by could safely be omitted if the two blue portions were more similar, as follows:
discouraged by shrinking viewership and lower revenues
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bulleride wrote:

B) are increasingly discouraged by the fact that viewership is shrinking and that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet

C) increasingly are discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, as well as by the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet

Tough one! I broke this sentence down and stripped out some words in an attempt to look at the parallelism. Take of it what you will...

(B) Purchasers are discouraged by the fact that V is shrinking and that many viewers fast forward, as well as by the competition from X and Y.

(C) Purchasers are discouraged by shrinking and by the fact, as well as by the competition from X and Y.

Notice the parallel use of the word "by"

(D) Purchasers are discouraged by shrinking, the fact, the competition from X, and Y.

The competition is from X and Y.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM

A) are increasingly discouraged by shrinking viewership and by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials, in addition to the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies

Parallelism is tested.

A. The list - discouraged 1. by shrinking viewership 2. by the fact that many viewers fast-forward through commercials 3. the competition from new services that stream content over the internet and traditional movies
The third element lacks the 'by' and hence the list lacks parallelism. Also it is unclear if the competition is from the new services and traditional movies or new services that stream 2 things.

B. List - discouraged by the fact 1. that viewership is shrinking 2. that many viewers fast-forward through commercials 3. the competition from traditional movies and new services that stream content over the internet

The third element lacks 'that' and is not parallel.

C. Correct answer. The list is parallel and it is also clear what the competitions are.

D. The list is parallel but now it means that purchasers are discouraged by traditional movies and that is incorrect. They are discouraged by the competition from the traditional movies.

E. List - discouraged because 1. viewership is shrinking 2. viewers are fast-forwarding through commercials 3. the competition from traditional movies as well as new services that stream content over the internet

The third element should also have a verb like the other two elements in the list. Parallelism error.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts