Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 08:21 It is currently 11 May 2024, 08:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63849 [1]
Given Kudos: 1782
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63849 [1]

Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 251
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2167 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Vinodhini1803 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am struggling with timing issue in verbal. When I solve questions untimed, I am able to get 90 percent accuracy in SC and CR.
However while taking a mock, I take for first 10 questions 30min, leaving 30 min or next 26. Is there way to overcome timing issue.
I feel If I could reduce the time required for SC, I can improve timing. I saw a post in which bb said he was able to tackle verbal timing by giving 1min for SC, 1min 30sec for CR and RC 10 min for each passage.
Is it possible to solve SC in one min.?

ChiranjeevSingh, GMATNinja, dcummins,
MartyTargetTestPrep , ScottTargetTestPrep and JeffTargetTestPrep

Hi Vindohini, I'm just going to respond here even though you pm'd me also.

Take a second and look at what you said - You are able to get 90% accuracy in CR and SC when you solve them untimed, but then you struggle overall in verbal to solve them in a test. So, the obvious outler is RC, right? You also need to practice solving RC untimed and then eventually timed, and then eventually practice test taking.

Solving questions is ambigous - how many have you solved untimed? How are you solving them?

Basically to answer whatever you respond to those two questions with - you effectively need to most of your practice questions in an untimed manner until you build the profficiency required to then naturally speed up.

Then, you need to move to timed practice. I'd stick to 90 seconds for SC, although some monster questions can take 2 mins, 1.5- 2mins for CR, then RC is a mixed bag and tbh I need to double check the timings on that.

By this stage, you should have developed more or less an internal clock.

I scored a perfect 51 in SC i.e. got nothing wrong in SC in my 710 score, and I can tell you that there were some questions i definitely spent about 2.5 mins on as they were logically complicated, but when you develop an internal clock, you'll automatically and naturally grow conscious of this overextension of time, and you'll likely encounter other easier questions in the test that you can get through quicker to make up.

Hope that helps

Dan
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
dcummins wrote:
Vinodhini1803 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am struggling with timing issue in verbal. When I solve questions untimed, I am able to get 90 percent accuracy in SC and CR.
However while taking a mock, I take for first 10 questions 30min, leaving 30 min or next 26. Is there way to overcome timing issue.
I feel If I could reduce the time required for SC, I can improve timing. I saw a post in which bb said he was able to tackle verbal timing by giving 1min for SC, 1min 30sec for CR and RC 10 min for each passage.

Hi Vindohini, I'm just going to respond here even though you pm'd me also.

Take a second and look at what you said - You are able to get 90% accuracy in CR and SC when you solve them untimed, but then you struggle overall in verbal to solve them in a test. So, the obvious outler is RC, right? You also need to practice solving RC untimed and then eventually timed, and then eventually practice test taking.

Solving questions is ambigous - how many have you solved untimed? How are you solving them?

Basically to answer whatever you respond to those two questions with - you effectively need to most of your practice questions in an untimed manner until you build the profficiency required to then naturally speed up.

Then, you need to move to timed practice. I'd stick to 90 seconds for SC, although some monster questions can take 2 mins, 1.5- 2mins for CR, then RC is a mixed bag and tbh I need to double check the timings on that.

By this stage, you should have developed more or less an internal clock.

I scored a perfect 51 in SC i.e. got nothing wrong in SC in my 710 score, and I can tell you that there were some questions i definitely spent about 2.5 mins on as they were logically complicated, but when you develop an internal clock, you'll automatically and naturally grow conscious of this overextension of time, and you'll likely encounter other easier questions in the test that you can get through quicker to make up.

Hope that helps

Dan

Thank you Dan
I forgot to mention RC. My RC Is also good if I give 10 min time. However I take 2min 15 sec on SC.. 2 min 35 sec on CR and RC 8 min passage. These are my average timings. By the time I answer first, I run out of time for the rest questions.
Now this is exactly my problem
How should I reduce the timing on every question
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22191 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vinodhini1803 wrote:
Hi Experts,

The first thing to understand is that timing on the GMAT, as in life, improves as your knowledge, understanding, and skills improve. Timing does not improve simply by “trying to go faster.” In fact, when people try to force speed before they’re ready to go faster, they tend to end up making a significant number of preventable mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes badly erode people’s test scores. In addition, when people rush learning -- a common pathology of those trying to force speed -- they actually never end up developing the speed they seek. One of the great paradoxes of learning is that to develop speed, a student must slow down to ensure that he or she masters the material. Consider the following examples, which hopefully will bring you some more clarity:

Imagine your goal were to run a mile in four minutes, a difficult feat even for professional athletes. So, you get yourself a running coach. You show up on the field and ask, “Coach, how do I get faster?” The coach responds, “Well, just run faster.” So, you try your best to “run faster,” but you can't; you’re running a 12-minute mile. Out of breath, you come back to the coach and say, “Coach, I stink. How do I get faster?” Again, he says, “Just run faster.” So, you try again, but this time you fall and skin your knees. You keep trying to run faster. On the tenth attempt, you pull your hamstring, falling to the ground in pain. Over your next four months of recovery, you ponder why you couldn't run faster.

That situation would be insane, right? No qualified running coach would ever provide you with that advice, because the coach would understand that no one gets faster merely by trying to run faster. Instead, the coach would set you up on a linear, comprehensive plan to make you a BETTER runner. He may have you run progressively longer distances at relatively slow speeds. He may have you run up and down the stairs at the football stadium. He may have you run up and down hills. He even may have you engage in strength training, yoga, or Pilates to make you a more fit athlete. After all of that training, he finally would bring you back on the field and time you running the mile. At that point, he’d coach you on how to push yourself through the pain of sprinting and help you to understand what a four-minute-mile pace feels like. He now could help you with those things because you would be in the necessary shape to be receptive to them. So, you begin your run, and BOOM! You run a 6-minute mile. What happened? Well, you became a better runner. You became a fitter athlete. You became stronger. Although you’re not yet at the four-minute-mile mark, your training has yielded considerable improvements.

Now imagine your goal were to play a complicated song on the piano. The tempo at which a pianist plays greatly impacts the way a song sounds. To make songs sound the way they should, often a pianist must play at a fast pace. But your experience with the piano is limited. Can you imagine trying to play the complicated song at full speed right at the outset? Doing so wouldn't be possible. Instead, you first need to master many aspects of the piano -- without really trying to get faster. In fact, you need to proceed slowly at first, sometimes very slowly. As you master the piano, you find that you’re able to play your song at progressively faster tempos. With time and dedicated, proper practice, you’re able to recreate the sound you seek. If in the early days of practicing you had tried to force speed instead of mastering your technique, you never would have gained that speed. You never would become truly accomplished at playing the song.

The process of getting faster at solving GMAT questions is quite analogous to the process of improving one’s running speed or ability to play the piano at the proper tempo! To get faster, you must get better. As you further develop your GMAT skills, you will get faster at a) recognizing what a problem is asking and b) executing the necessary steps to quickly attack the problem.

The key takeaway is that as you develop stronger GMAT verbal skills, better timing will follow. In fact, a great way to know how well you have mastered a particular topic is to be cognizant of how you react when seeing a question involving that topic. For instance, consider the following simple question, which might be challenging for someone just beginning to work on Sentence Correction:

The researchers traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys while swinging through the trees, using their hands, feet, and tails.
(A) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys while swinging

(B) traveling into the rainforest, observing monkeys that were swinging

(C) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys, swinging

(D) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys, which swing

(E) were traveling into the rainforest to observe monkeys in order to swing

Looking at this question, a test-taker might quickly see that choice (B) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of (B) has no main verb, and that choice (E) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of (E) conveys the nonsensical meaning that the researchers were traveling into the rainforest in order for the researchers to swing through the trees, using their hands, feet and tails.

Then, having eliminated those two choices, the test-taker could end up using a lot of time circling through choices (A), (C), and (D), not sure what’s wrong with any of them.

However, a person who has studied modifiers would know that, when a closing “–ing” modifier is preceded by a comma or begins with preposition, such as “while,” that “–ing” modifier targets the preceding subject verb combination. So, a person with that knowledge would quickly recognize that “while swinging …,” in (A), and “swinging” preceded by a comma, in (C), target the subject and verb of the preceding clause, which are “researchers traveled,” Thus, that person would see that (A) and (C) convey the illogical meaning that the researchers were swinging through the trees, using their hands, feet, and tails, and that, therefore, the only choice that works is (D).

Although this is just one example of many, you see that you must have many tools in your toolbox to efficiently attack each GMAT verbal question that comes your way. As you gain these skills, you will get faster. Lastly, here is a helpful article:

GMAT Sentence Correction: 8 Essential Tips
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Hello!
I have a question regarding meaning of a sentence in SC. When I analyse the questions, I start with the meaning of the original sentence. Is this correct? Should the right answer have the same meaning as the original one?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Vinodhini1803 wrote:
Hi Experts,

The first thing to understand is that timing on the GMAT, as in life, improves as your knowledge, understanding, and skills improve. Timing does not improve simply by “trying to go faster.” In fact, when people try to force speed before they’re ready to go faster, they tend to end up making a significant number of preventable mistakes. Sometimes these mistakes badly erode people’s test scores. In addition, when people rush learning -- a common pathology of those trying to force speed -- they actually never end up developing the speed they seek. One of the great paradoxes of learning is that to develop speed, a student must slow down to ensure that he or she masters the material. Consider the following examples, which hopefully will bring you some more clarity:

Imagine your goal were to run a mile in four minutes, a difficult feat even for professional athletes. So, you get yourself a running coach. You show up on the field and ask, “Coach, how do I get faster?” The coach responds, “Well, just run faster.” So, you try your best to “run faster,” but you can't; you’re running a 12-minute mile. Out of breath, you come back to the coach and say, “Coach, I stink. How do I get faster?” Again, he says, “Just run faster.” So, you try again, but this time you fall and skin your knees. You keep trying to run faster. On the tenth attempt, you pull your hamstring, falling to the ground in pain. Over your next four months of recovery, you ponder why you couldn't run faster.

That situation would be insane, right? No qualified running coach would ever provide you with that advice, because the coach would understand that no one gets faster merely by trying to run faster. Instead, the coach would set you up on a linear, comprehensive plan to make you a BETTER runner. He may have you run progressively longer distances at relatively slow speeds. He may have you run up and down the stairs at the football stadium. He may have you run up and down hills. He even may have you engage in strength training, yoga, or Pilates to make you a more fit athlete. After all of that training, he finally would bring you back on the field and time you running the mile. At that point, he’d coach you on how to push yourself through the pain of sprinting and help you to understand what a four-minute-mile pace feels like. He now could help you with those things because you would be in the necessary shape to be receptive to them. So, you begin your run, and BOOM! You run a 6-minute mile. What happened? Well, you became a better runner. You became a fitter athlete. You became stronger. Although you’re not yet at the four-minute-mile mark, your training has yielded considerable improvements.

Now imagine your goal were to play a complicated song on the piano. The tempo at which a pianist plays greatly impacts the way a song sounds. To make songs sound the way they should, often a pianist must play at a fast pace. But your experience with the piano is limited. Can you imagine trying to play the complicated song at full speed right at the outset? Doing so wouldn't be possible. Instead, you first need to master many aspects of the piano -- without really trying to get faster. In fact, you need to proceed slowly at first, sometimes very slowly. As you master the piano, you find that you’re able to play your song at progressively faster tempos. With time and dedicated, proper practice, you’re able to recreate the sound you seek. If in the early days of practicing you had tried to force speed instead of mastering your technique, you never would have gained that speed. You never would become truly accomplished at playing the song.

The process of getting faster at solving GMAT questions is quite analogous to the process of improving one’s running speed or ability to play the piano at the proper tempo! To get faster, you must get better. As you further develop your GMAT skills, you will get faster at a) recognizing what a problem is asking and b) executing the necessary steps to quickly attack the problem.

The key takeaway is that as you develop stronger GMAT verbal skills, better timing will follow. In fact, a great way to know how well you have mastered a particular topic is to be cognizant of how you react when seeing a question involving that topic. For instance, consider the following simple question, which might be challenging for someone just beginning to work on Sentence Correction:

The researchers traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys while swinging through the trees, using their hands, feet, and tails.
(A) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys while swinging

(B) traveling into the rainforest, observing monkeys that were swinging

(C) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys, swinging

(D) traveled into the rainforest to observe monkeys, which swing

(E) were traveling into the rainforest to observe monkeys in order to swing

Looking at this question, a test-taker might quickly see that choice (B) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of (B) has no main verb, and that choice (E) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of (E) conveys the nonsensical meaning that the researchers were traveling into the rainforest in order for the researchers to swing through the trees, using their hands, feet and tails.

Then, having eliminated those two choices, the test-taker could end up using a lot of time circling through choices (A), (C), and (D), not sure what’s wrong with any of them.

However, a person who has studied modifiers would know that, when a closing “–ing” modifier is preceded by a comma or begins with preposition, such as “while,” that “–ing” modifier targets the preceding subject verb combination. So, a person with that knowledge would quickly recognize that “while swinging …,” in (A), and “swinging” preceded by a comma, in (C), target the subject and verb of the preceding clause, which are “researchers traveled,” Thus, that person would see that (A) and (C) convey the illogical meaning that the researchers were swinging through the trees, using their hands, feet, and tails, and that, therefore, the only choice that works is (D).

Although this is just one example of many, you see that you must have many tools in your toolbox to efficiently attack each GMAT verbal question that comes your way. As you gain these skills, you will get faster. Lastly, here is a helpful article:

GMAT Sentence Correction: 8 Essential Tips

Hi Scott,

Thats a amazing explanation. This is the exact logic I used, but still ended up with V22, much less than my initial score without any practice. I have written how I studied for other test the second time in the other post.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-secti ... l#p2707498

Kindly help me understand what am I going wrong.

Regards,
Vinodhini
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
GMAT Ninja SC Expert - Ask Me Anything about GMAT SC and Grammar [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja, I am watching your YouTube series on RC Part 1. In relation to the 'Official Qs only' Principle, I wonder if it applies to the RC section only or the Verbal test as a whole?

Much appreciated!

P.S. Your YouTube videos are so fasinating and engaging that you have made me even look forward to the journey of the test taking. Also, I want to thank you for telling the hard-to-listen truth in "Reading Skills Matter". The wake up call for me when I needed it the most. Thanks tons!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
WE:Project Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
HI GMATNinja,
can you please explain the rules for adverbs and adjectives modification .
I am aware that Adjectives are used to modify Nouns , and Adverbs are used to modify everything else other than a Noun.

But in the below question , I am not able to understand the use of "only" and the word it is modifying
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-some-a ... 69823.html

Also I have 2 statements below:
Statement 1
While some academicians believe that business ethics should be integrated into every Business school course , others say that students will take ethics seriously only if it is taught as a separate , required course.

Statement 2
While some academicians believe that business ethics should be integrated into every Business school course , others say that students will take ethics seriously if it is taught only as a separate , required course.

So, please explain the modification here "only" is doing for both the statements .
Please also explain any rules for modification that I can follow while solving adjectives and adverbs modifier.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63849 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
GMATNinja

Please explain why option A &E is wrong
Manufacturers rate batteries in watt-hours; if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last.

A if they rate the watt-hour higher, the longer
B rating the watt-hour higher, it is that much longer
C the higher the watt-hour rating, the longer
D the higher the watt-hour rating, it is that much longer that
E when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is

Posted from my mobile device

We have a couple reasons to choose (C) over (A).

First,

• In choice (C), we get a nice, symmetrical construction: "the higher _____, the longer _____."
  • In (A), we have, "If _____, the longer _____." Here we expect, "If _____, THEN _____." (I.e., "If they rate the watt-hour higher, THEN the battery can be expected to last longer.") Instead, (A) seems to switch between two different idiomatic constructions.
  • That might not make (A) wrong, but it's certainly a vote in favor of (C) over (A).

Second,

• In (A), "if they rate the watt-hour higher" leaves the reader wondering, "Higher than what?". It sounds as though we are comparing the watt-hour rating of the battery to something else.
  • On the other hand, we interpret (C) as, "the higher the watt-hour rating [is], the longer the battery can be expected to last." With this wording, it is clearer that we aren't comparing the watt-hour rating of the battery to something else.
  • Again, on its own, that might not be a definitive reason to eliminate (A), but it's another vote in favor of (C) over (A).

One final, subtle point:

• In (A), we have "if [the manufacturers] rate the watt-hour higher, the longer the battery can be expected to last."
  • This seems to imply that the rating is somehow subjective and that the manufacturers are deciding what to rate the watt-hour (like Simon Cowell after a singing performance).
  • But that connotation isn't quite right -- the rating should be a quality or characteristic of the battery. The manufacturers certainly have to determine that value (by measuring it, or whatever). But the rating should be objective.

With three votes against (A) and no issues with (C), we can safely eliminate (A).

Quote:
(E) when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is

The first issue with (E) is the pronoun "it."

• What does "it" refer to? Well, the "it" is preceded by the singular noun "watt-hour rating," so at first glance (E) seems to say, "when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer the watt-hour rating is the battery can be expected to last." That obviously doesn't make any sense.
  • Okay, well, we can also read (E) as, "when the watt-hour rating is higher, the longer it is [that] the battery can be expected to last." That's not terrible: in this case, the pronoun "it" doesn't really refer to anything, making "it" a non-referential pronoun. Non-referential pronouns aren't necessarily wrong, but you don’t see them very often in correct GMAT answers. At the very least, the pronoun is confusing and suggests an illogical interpretation. So that's one vote against (E).

Also, as we saw in (A), the construction "when the watt-hour rating is higher" leaves the reader wondering, "Higher than what?". That's another vote against (E).

(E) might not have any straightforward grammatical errors. But it has a couple issues that are avoided in (C), making (C) the better choice.

If you have other questions about this one, please post them on the question-specific thread. That way, other people struggling with this one can benefit from the discussion, too. :)

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi Gmat Ninja

I really need your help as I am getting confused in this sentence, please help

Is saying," A has more cars than B" correct ? cause i feel here a basic rule is being flouted that cars of A are being compared to a person however we do use this in daily life.

I further would like to extend my example to "A has better cars than B". Again the same confusion. Can we say this is right as a basic rule is being flouted where cars of A are being compared to a person, however we do use it in our daily life
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi Charles,

I have started preparing SC from manhattan strategy guide. I am coming across the grammar terms such as clause, participle, predicate etc from those chapters of SC. I am able to understand the meaning of those terms at that given moment by browsing for those. But I am unable to connect those terms and keep it in my mind for long time studying this way. So, I am looking for some standard book on grammar which will cover all these concepts in order. Please help me recommending the grammar in order to know these terms in sequence.

Thanks,
Lakshmi

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 4
WE:Real Estate (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi Charles

I have a question. Can you please tell me if the below sentence appears correct to you ?

"Despite securing a £1.8bn ($2.5bn) bail-out last year, tfl’s financial plans recently submitted to the government forecast more than £3bn in shortfalls in each of the next two years.

I think since the participial phrase at the beginning begs for a noun subject after comma it should be TFL instead of the possessive form of it.

We may reconstruct it as:

Despite securing a £1.8bn ($2.5bn) bail-out last year, tfl recently submitted to the government its financial plans, which forecast more than £3bn in shortfalls in each of the next two years.

Btw the the first sentence is from the Jan 23rd European edition of The Economist.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
sd1713 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja! Can "advise" be used as a command subjunctive verb or should it only be used in the infinitive form? In other words, does the GMAT consider this correct:

1) Mike advises that John change his plan. (Command Subjunctive)

2) Mike advises John to change his plan. (Infinitive)

First off, the subjunctive rarely comes up on the GMAT, so it's not worth wasting too many brain cells on it. And I can't imagine that you'd be forced to make a decision solely based on whether a certain verb (i.e. "advise(s)") requires the subjunctive. A safer approach is to assume that "advise(s)" could potentially be followed by the subjunctive and to look for other decision points.

As explained in this post, we typically see the subjunctive with so-called "bossy words" (demanded that, required that, etc.). "Advise" certainly doesn't seem all that bossy... but could it be? If I accidentally spilled a beer on Martyn Ford and he then got in my face and said, "I strongly advise that you pay your tab and leave immediately," I'd first wet my pants and then, on my way home, think about how "advise" could qualify as a "bossy" verb in that context.

As we always say, mastering GMAT SC isn't about memorizing and blindly applying an ever-growing list of rules (i.e. "advise" MUST be followed by an infinitive). The minute we come up with such rules, the GMAT figures out a way to break them.

So, as always, pay attention to the context, think really carefully about what's going on in each unique question and answer choice, and look for other decision points before relying on stuff like this.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 194
Send PM
hello, I recently shifted to 700 level questions and am having difficulty with those, is there any guide that I can read to understand all the different rules coz I think I am getting the fundamentals wrong with 700 level questions, any help/guide to all thr rules for idioms clauses or anything like that ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Sir,

Could you please explain why option C is correct for following post-

Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

(A) a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(B) a female cowbird will use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(C) female cowbirds use the nests of other birds to lay up to 40 eggs a year, including those of
(D) female cowbirds lay up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

Check out this post and this follow-up post for explanations of why (B) and (C) can be eliminated.

Quote:
(A) Unable to build nests or care for their young, a female cowbird lays up to 40 eggs a year in the nests of other birds, including warblers, vireos, flycatchers, and thrushes.

In choice (A), the singular subject ("a female cowbird") doesn't match with the plural pronoun ("their") in the opening modifier, so we can eliminate this one right away.

Quote:
(E) up to 40 eggs a year are laid by female cowbirds in the nests of other birds, including

The problem with (E) is that the opening modifier seems to modify "up to 40 eggs a year" -- this suggests that "up to 40 eggs a year" are somehow "unable to build nests or care for their young," and of course that doesn't make any sense, unless these eggs are already breeding.

That's probably enough reason to go with (D) over (E), but another small vote against (E) is the placement of the prepositional phrase "in the nests of other birds": in (D), "in the nests of other birds" is clearly meant to tell us WHERE the female cowbirds lay the eggs. But in (E), "in the nests of other birds" seems to modify "female cowbirds" -- so do these female cowbirds LIVE in the nests of other birds? Are the female cowbirds actually laying up to 40 eggs a year in those nests or somewhere else? The meaning is less clear here.

That leaves (D) as the winner.

Hopefully that answers your question; if you have any more questions about this one, feel free to tag us in the thread for that specific question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Sir, could you please help me with the question below? Why is the answer E instead of A? Isn't A better in terms of parallelism? (women with the wealth.....but with needs for....)

There are more and more women with the wealth and buying power that advertisers crave but with needs for relevant information still go largely ignored by magazine publishers

A)with needs for
B)have need of
C)who need
D)their need for
E)whose needs for
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 897
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
GMATNinja.
Can you please explain why B is incorrect here?
The key discovery in the scientific effort to understand fire was made in 1774 when Lavoisier recognized that the apparent disappearance of matter in flames is an illusion.

(A) the apparent disappearance of matter in flames is an illusion

(B) the matter that apparently disappears in flames is an illusion

(C) the disappearance of matter in flames is apparently an illusion

(D) it was an illusion that there is an apparent disappearance of matter in flames

(E) it was an illusion that matter apparently disappears in flames
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
emmaluo wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, I am watching your YouTube series on RC Part 1. In relation to the 'Official Qs only' Principle, I wonder if it applies to the RC section only or the Verbal test as a whole?

Much appreciated!

P.S. Your YouTube videos are so fasinating and engaging that you have made me even look forward to the journey of the test taking. Also, I want to thank you for telling the hard-to-listen truth in "Reading Skills Matter". The wake up call for me when I needed it the most. Thanks tons!

Thank you so much for the kind words, emmaluo! I'm glad that the YouTube videos have been helpful so far.

We typically recommend only official questions for every question type on verbal, since it's brutally difficult for test-prep companies to even begin to mimic the style and precision of the actual exam. So, we apply that rule to the verbal section as a whole. I'm sure that you already picked this up from the videos, but official LSAT CR and RC questions are certainly good enough for GMAT studies, too.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  21   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14016 posts