Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx   Verb Tense/Formx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8811 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 267
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectatio [#permalink]
td wrote:
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

(B) that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double

(C) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of

(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Hi souvik101990 generis
I have a query with respect to the use of tense...
If option B would have been as follows, would it be still incorrect?

that personal spending in the July-September quarter will more than double

My reason: Since the sentence talks from the past perspective that is represented by the verb ROSE, WOULD is correct that WILL?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes with the word EXPECTATIONS...WILL can also be correct but that depends upon the context of the sentence and tense used in the sentence.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [1]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectatio [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Suryakumar wrote:

Hi souvik101990 generis
I have a query with respect to the use of tense...
If option B would have been as follows, would it be still incorrect?

that personal spending in the July-September quarter will more than double

My reason: Since the sentence talks from the past perspective that is represented by the verb ROSE, WOULD is correct that WILL?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Sometimes with the word EXPECTATIONS...WILL can also be correct but that depends upon the context of the sentence and tense used in the sentence.

Hello Suryakumar,
Thank you for the query. :-)

The context of the sentence is such that the verb will will also work in the correct answer choice.

See, if you visualize that the current time is still somewhere in September that is not over yet, the future tense verb will work because the time period mentioned in the sentence is yet to be over.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
td wrote:
Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1 percent in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending for the previous quarter.

(A) that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

(C) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

(D) of personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubling that of

(E) of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

I would like to know whether the first 'that' is a modifier or is a subordinate clause ?

GMAT ninja has mentioned that The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.”

But what follows the 'that' is a complete clause which makes me wonder if it is a subordinate clause. Is it ok for a modifier to have a complete clause ?

The below examples show 'that' being used as a modifier. What follows that is just the verb phrase not the complete clause.
Ex 1: The first-class airline tickets to Antarctica that were purchased using Amber’s retirement savings were worth every penny.
Ex 2 : The son of a gun that burned my dinner deserves to be punished.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Originally posted by Abhishekrao12 on 10 Apr 2020, 07:18.
Last edited by GMATNinjaTwo on 13 Apr 2020, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quotation formatting
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
td wrote:

I would like to know whether the first 'that' is a modifier or is a subordinate clause ?

GMAT ninja has mentioned that The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.”

But what follows the 'that' is a complete clause which makes me wonder if it is a subordinate clause. Is it ok for a modifier to have a complete clause ?

The below examples show 'that' being used as a modifier. What follows that is just the verb phrase not the complete clause.
Ex 1: The first-class airline tickets to Antarctica that were purchased using Amber’s retirement savings were worth every penny.
Ex 2 : The son of a gun that burned my dinner deserves to be punished.

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

First, anytime you place "that" in front of an independent clause, the clause is no longer independent.

"Tony had a baby." Independent clause.

"That Tony had a baby." Not an independent clause.

Context will dictate how the dependent "that" clause is used. For example,

• "I heard the news that Tony had a baby." - Sure, "Tony had a baby" has a noun+verb pair, but the "that" clause still modifies "news" - What news did I hear? The news THAT Tony had a baby.
  • "I can't believe that Tony had a baby!" - Here we have the same exact "that" clause, but in this case it functions as a noun (as the object of the verb "believe") instead of a modifier.

The takeaway is that GMAT SC isn't about coming up with a list of black and white rules (i.e. "modifiers can/cannot have a complete clause?") and blindly applying them to new problems -- instead, you always need to pay attention to the context and think really hard about the meaning in each unique sentence.

I hope this helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Dear IanStewart AjiteshArun MartyTargetTestPrep GMATGuruNY AnthonyRitz VeritasPrepBrian ccooley DmitryFarber GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo,

Although I got it correct by POE, I have 2 questions on the correct choice B.

Q1. Why is comparison in choice B. correct?
How can SPENDING (which is supposed to be a number double) a RATE?
Shouldn't it be that the RATE of personal spending in July-Sept double the RATE of personal spending in previous quarter?

Q2. Is it possible for a present value to double a past value?
How can a past value (the growth rate of a previous quarter) be changed or double?

Side note: The issue in Q2 is the reason why choice A. is wrong in this OG question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-1972-agree ... 52000.html
Quote:
WRONG : A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

Originally posted by kornn on 20 May 2020, 08:05.
Last edited by kornn on 25 May 2020, 08:59, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

Although I got it correct by POE, I have 2 questions on the correct choice B.

Q1. Why is comparison in choice B. correct?
How can SPENDING (which is supposed to be a number double) a RATE?
Shouldn't it be that the RATE of personal spending in July-Sept double the RATE of personal spending in previous quarter?

Q2. Is it possible for a present value to double a past value?
How can a past value (the growth rate of a previous quarter) be changed or double?

I only skimmed the thread, but some replies seem to eliminate C, D and E solely because they use "expectations of". "Expectations of" is an idiomatic phrase in English, as in the sentence "not much was expected of me", or "expectations of me were low". So you need to consider what the sentence means before eliminating those answers. And at least one long reply above says the pronouns in the wrong answer choices do not have clear antecedents, which is not true. There's only one singular thing in the sentence the "that" and "it" pronouns can refer to, "personal spending", so the pronouns have a perfectly clear antecedent. The pronouns are wrong because they create a nonsensical meaning.

You're right that if you read the sentence a certain way, even the right answer seems to be constructing an improper comparison. But if you read it differently, the comparison becomes fine. If you think of the first "personal spending" in the sentence as something that is "doing the work", rather than as an amount, then the sentence makes sense, much as the sentence "in September, factory workers were expected to more than double the 10% increase in production they achieved in August". It is a bit of a strange way to read the sentence though, and I"d have preferred a phrasing that more obviously compares two like things. When I answer this question, I don't like B much on a first read for that reason, but after reading the remaining choices, it is clearly the only possible answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Lots of “that” going on this week. Check out our Topic of the Week, or our YouTube live webinar on the GMAT’s many uses of “that”.

In this question, we have two different uses of “that” going on. Fun.

Quote:
A. that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled that of

The first "that" is pretty harmless, and just modifies “expectations.” The second that is trying to function as a pronoun – and “that” is always singular when it’s being used as a pronoun, so let’s look for a singular noun it could refer back to. “Personal spending” is singular. So let’s replace “that” with “personal spending”:

Retail sales rose 8/10 of 1% in August, intensifying expectations that personal spending in the July-September quarter more than doubled the personal spending of the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending

Whoa, that’s a steaming pile of nonsense. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. that personal spending in the July-September quarter would more than double

Hm, this looks good. “Intensifying expectations that personal spending… would more than double” is perfectly clear, and we don’t have any pronoun issues. Keep (B).

Quote:
C. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it more than doubled

I don’t like the “intensifying expectations of personal spending, but the pronouns are a much bigger issue. “That” looks like a noun modifier – modifying “personal spending in the July-September quarter”, I guess? But then what does “it” refer to? “Personal spending”, I guess? Then we have “intensifying expectations of personal spending, that personal spending more than doubled the 1.4 percent growth rate in personal spending…”

Wow, that’s another pronoun mess. I think we can safely get rid of (C).

Quote:
D. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, more than doubling that of

Same pronoun error as in (A), so (D) is gone.

Quote:
E. of personal spending in the July-September quarter, that it would more than double that of

Same pronoun error as in (A) and (D), so (E) is gone, too.

We’re left with (B). Yay pronouns.

I have a question with C. How did you determine that 'that' in C is being used as a noun modifier ? Could it not have been an article ? If I determine that it's an article, where am I wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63674 [4]

Send PM
Kudos