Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:21 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Re: Living Expenses [#permalink]
BearStearner wrote:
You chose Duke over Kellogg. Did Duke give you a huge scholarship?

My decision was really all about fit, location, and intended post-MBA trajectory. I grew up in Illinois and went to high school near Chicago, but really preferred to stay down here and love the culture at Fuqua. I also think Duke's international focus is bested only by Wharton among top schools -- I have faith that will pay off down the road when I move into more senior positions with a significant international component.

Can't knock Kellogg, though -- if I'd never experienced the South, I would probably be going there. Have lots of friends there who love it, including one who snagged a great finance job in Japan (they're not all debating Wendy's ads there :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Quick Question:

If one were to take a summer internship that is not by their school, what are the options for housing? Pay 2 rents? Sublet? Company sponsored housing? What is the most common path?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
If one were to take a summer internship that is not by their school, what are the options for housing? Pay 2 rents? Sublet? Company sponsored housing? What is the most common path?

On top of compensation for summer employment, my employer arranges discounted company sponsored housing for all summer interns at local universities and etc. For example, tons of out of state summer interns stay at NYU dorms for 10 wks. I am sure you will be able to find such deals with your summer internship. However, it would be as if you were paying 2 rents....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
You will probably have to pay two rents. In NY, the banks and consulting firm will help you find a cheaper place and the internship salary will help pay for it. Don't expect to save much though, the salary will pay for you expenses (two rents, flights...) not much more.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
terp26 wrote:

On top of compensation for summer employment, my employer arranges discounted company sponsored housing for all summer interns at local universities and etc. For example, tons of out of state summer interns stay at NYU dorms for 10 wks. I am sure you will be able to find such deals with your summer internship. However, it would be as if you were paying 2 rents....

Unless you sublet your school apartment to a student from a different school with an internship in your school's city.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Bookmarks
terp26 wrote:
Quick Question:

several buildings have 10 month leases. one of the most popular buildings for boothers downtown has a 10 month lease deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Depending on how much furniture you have, you may not want the hassle of moving things into storage and move back again three months later. It is more important to secure a 9-10 months lease in the second year so you are not paying for the summer months when you graduate in May.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
Quick Question:

I've heard of some companies (esp in NYC) offering subsidized housing.

I've also heard from current students that they have:
- sublet it (pro: the rent gets at least partially paid, con: you have to possibly pack/move/store all your stuff for two months)
- pay two rents (pro: no hassle in moving stuff, con: you have to pay two rents meaning you may not earn v much from your internship)
- get just a ten month lease (pro: don't have to worry about the two rent thing, con: if you're in the same city as your school it could end up being more $)

From my discussions with them, option 2 seems the most popular...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS, Booth, Yale, INSEAD, Ross
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.46
WE 1: Infrastructure Project-Coordinator -2 yrs
WE 2: Infrastructure Project- Planning Incharge : International Project
Send PM
Hi All,

I am just a little curious about one thing (fogrive my ignorance)...but dont these unviersites provide hostel facilites as well?? I would certainly opt for an in-campus hostel than a place outside campus if such an option exists.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Management of Technology/ General Management
Schools:Berkeley Haas, Stanford, MIT Sloan, INSEADw/$$
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Five years in hi-tech in sales/marketing roles
Send PM
I think the estimates given by the business schools are sometimes too low.
For example, INSEAD in Singapore states that students spend about 600-800 euros per month for rent. This is true only if you live with someone else and share a flat with a minimum of 3-4 people. Otherwise, the average rental cost is 4000 dollars/month for a 2 bedroom flat on INSEAD's vicinity. Of course there are low cost appartments and suburbs, but you won't fin anything at less than 2000-2500 dollars/month anyway.
Before joining, I spent some time on Singapore's forums. An average estimated cost for a family without childrem was around 50000 for 1 year (with reasonable spending habits, of course).
Chatea and chalet-type accomodation in France are more affordable, but again, not 600 euros per person =)
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS, Booth, Yale, INSEAD, Ross
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.46
WE 1: Infrastructure Project-Coordinator -2 yrs
WE 2: Infrastructure Project- Planning Incharge : International Project
Send PM
Somethings that most people ignore are the networking events, the global learning/ immersion programs, interview meets, club fees etc. They dont usually mention all this in your budget and they may not be mandatory. But if your intention is to make the most out of your MBA experience then these expenses cannot be spared. I would imagine adding another 15-20K over above the Tuition and Monthly expenses would get you close to the proper estimate of your MBA cost.

I would think the best people to ask are those who have completed their course. If they could fill in on some of the details, it could help immensely.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
auman wrote:
Hi All,

I am just a little curious about one thing (fogrive my ignorance)...but dont these unviersites provide hostel facilites as well?? I would certainly opt for an in-campus hostel than a place outside campus if such an option exists.

Sorry this is a super belated reply, but most Universities have very limited on campus housing for graduate school students. Such housing is reserved for undergraduates, and in particular incoming freshmen. Grad students generally have to live off campus as a result. Among the schools that do have on campus housing for grad students, they are often better accommodations than a typical residence hall and are often apartments.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
novanative wrote:
auman wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry this is a super belated reply, but most Universities have very limited on campus housing for graduate school students. Such housing is reserved for undergraduates, and in particular incoming freshmen. Grad students generally have to live off campus as a result. Among the schools that do have on campus housing for grad students, they are often better accommodations than a typical residence hall and are often apartments.

How can I find out more about my housing options here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
brink44 wrote:
novanative wrote:
auman wrote:
Hi All,

How can I find out more about my housing options here?

Check with your university's student affairs office or office of residence life which handles dorms. There are usually a good number of undergrads who want to live off campus and you can learn more options that way as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quick one on Singapore - unless you share with at least 2 others or are given some subsidized housing by your school, be prepared to spend SGD1k/mo or so at the minimum.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
San Francisco is insanely expensive.

If you want to live alone, I guess you won't be able to find a studio for less than $1500 + you need to buy furniture in 90% of the cases. Other expenses may vary on your needs but generally you will spend from $30 - $50 a day based on the place you eat. Car is not so necessary if you live and study in the city. If you want to live in the Valley, keep in mind that the gas here is more expensive than anywhere else in the US.

To sum up, if you want to live alone you will probably need in the best possible scenario $2700/mo, but it will probably go up to $3000-$3500. But, since it is a really nice place to live, I guess it is worth it :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
We recently created a table of MBA expenses at top MBA programs, including tuition, Housing & Utilities, Transportation, Computer & Books etc.
Please visit: https://aringo.com/mba-expenses-comparison/
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2