Last visit was: 12 May 2024, 21:10 It is currently 12 May 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 583 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Schools: Wharton '25
WE:Information Technology (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Should I Buy GMAT Official Practice Exams 3 & 4 ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes, buy 3 & 4. There are other prep companies mocks that are analytically good, but will not reflect your score as per the official scoring algorithm. Prep companies may make slightly or more harder, so their students feels better when the see relatively easier questions in the real exam. Avoid free mocks from prep companies but rather stick to one of them that you're convinced with, so you can find the other mocks(that are not free) are comparably easier than the free mock they provided, and it is for a reason. It is more intended to scare you, that you're not prepared enough. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2244 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
ssddxx wrote:
When i did a review of my performance i found that , if i had the time , i could have solved almost all the quant questions that i got wrong . Any tips for time management / anxiety management during the test ?

Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6885 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Re: Pay for GMAT Official Practice Exams 3 & 4 or Free Mock Tests ? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello, mmsss. The official practice exams are the best way to gauge what your performance might look like on the actual exam, so if you can spring for exams 3-6 (all four of them), it is in your best interest to do so. You can take free mock tests by third parties (e.g., one from Veritas Prep), but, despite what these companies may say, the questions have a slightly different feel to them, and the scoring algorithm is different. This is not to say that all third-party mocks are a waste of time, just that you should take the results with a grain of salt, something to keep in mind as you continue to work on official material.

One way you can improve in Quant is to focus more intently on a given topic (e.g., coordinate geometry) before moving on to another. The OG questions are excellent for practice, but they are grouped by difficulty, not by content, and even in the forum, if you simply select "Source: OG 2022" and "Difficulty: 700-Level," you will be missing an opportunity to develop a more effective method for approaching certain questions. If you go through twenty coordinate geometry questions at the 600 or 700 level, though, and you get almost all of them correct, you will be more likely to approach the task with confidence down the line, if you saw another coordinate geometry question. (Of course, you have to return to the topic now and then to reinforce your methods.)

Anxiety plagues every test-taker, but the best way I know of to mitigate an anxious response is to prepare for the material you will likely see. With practice, you should be gaining confidence, and with review, you should be gaining insights into how to tackle questions more effectively. There are other techniques you can use to calm your mind—e.g., deep breathing, meditation—but these are not directly related to the test itself, and some people may find such techniques more effective than others. In short, no one disputes that knowing your stuff helps you feel more confident while you take the test.

Good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Re: Pay for GMAT Official Practice Exams 3 & 4 or Free Mock Tests ? [#permalink]
Kudos
mmsss wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I have taken the 2 free official practice exams and my scores are below .

Test 1 - Overall 650 , Quant 44 , Verbal 35 ( Aug 29 2021)
Test 2 - Overall 680 , Quant 46 , Verbal 38 ( Sep 11 2021)

Current Study Schedule -

1) Over last 3 months ,2 hrs of Quant in the morning and 1 hr of Verbal in the evening 5 - 6 days a week .
2) I have been ONLY solving the OG questions from various years from the GMATClub forums

Questions :

1) After over 3 months of prep i can feel my momentum flagging and i am wondering if i should take any more mock tests , Official or otherwise , before taking the GMAT ?
2) Is it worth paying for the Official practice exams 3 & 4 ?
3) Are there any free mock tests out there that are at par with the official practice exams ?
4) When i did a review of my performance i found that , if i had the time , i could have solved almost all the quant questions that i got wrong . Any tips for time management / anxiety management during the test ?

Thanks in advance !!

Well i am going to write my gmat on 13 oct (1st time)
I first gave my official mock scoring 650 then i gave the free mock of veritas and kaplan and i found that although they are good for practise but the feel as well as the algorithm was not quite right. So i decided to give these free mocks for practise and will buy 2 official mocks as they will prepare me better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
Concentration: Statistics, Finance
GPA: 3.41
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
mmsss wrote:
Hi Experts ,

I have taken the 2 free official practice exams and my scores are below .

Test 1 - Overall 650 , Quant 44 , Verbal 35 ( Aug 29 2021)
Test 2 - Overall 680 , Quant 46 , Verbal 38 ( Sep 11 2021)

Current Study Schedule -

1) Over last 3 months ,2 hrs of Quant in the morning and 1 hr of Verbal in the evening 5 - 6 days a week .
2) I have been ONLY solving the OG questions from various years from the GMATClub forums

Questions :

1) After over 3 months of prep i can feel my momentum flagging and i am wondering if i should take any more mock tests , Official or otherwise , before taking the GMAT ?
2) Is it worth paying for the Official practice exams 3 & 4 ?
3) Are there any free mock tests out there that are at par with the official practice exams ?
4) When i did a review of my performance i found that , if i had the time , i could have solved almost all the quant questions that i got wrong . Any tips for time management / anxiety management during the test ?

Thanks in advance !!

If you can only buy 2 mock test, test 5&6 are better than 3&4 in terms of difficulty. Other free tests, such as Veritas, manhattan, kaplan,... are good for practicing time management. these scores may not reflect your official scores well.
goodluck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11681 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi ssddxx,

To start, each CAT is really a 'measuring device' - when used correctly, it will give you a realistic score and help define your strengths and weaknesses, but it will NOT help you to fix any of those weaknesses. To raise your scores, you have to learn the necessary Tactics and put in the proper practice and repetitions. The CAT will show you whether your studies are helping you to improve or not. In addition, the process of taking (and reviewing) a CAT requires a significant amount of energy and effort - and takes time to 'recover' from. This is one of the reasons why you typically shouldn't take more than 1 CAT per week - and your last CAT should be taken about 1 week before Test Day. Going forward, you really shouldn't take more than 1 FULL CAT per week.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) Have you taken any other CATs/mocks besides the 2 that you listed (and did you take either of these 2 more than once?)?
2) What is your overall goal score?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22202 [1]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM