Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey hjort can you please help me out here
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
When do you plan to apply?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
edit..

Originally posted by Canis lupus on 15 Sep 2005, 21:03.
Last edited by Canis lupus on 20 Sep 2005, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey hjort..thanks for the reply.. i wanna apply for fall 2006
I plan to apply to about 8 colleges..I chose Tuck because of its strength in general mgmt.I chose only HBS out of the elites coz i thgt my work ex is not good enough for the others..do i stand a chance at any other elites?..Im not keen on going to the west coast for personal reasons..
Like i mentioned earlier i wanted to look at ESHIP,MKTING AND GENERAL MAGMT..How does this shortlist sound according to my profile sent earlier..please be free to make changes or revisions wherever you feel applicable..

1. HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL
2. UNIV OF MICHIGAN (ROSS)
3. DUKE FUQUA (NC)
4. CORNELL (JOHNSON, ITHACA NEW YORK)
5. INDIANA KELLEY (mkting)
6. BABSON (OLIN,MASSACHUSETTS)
7. TUCK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (HANNOVER) (for general mgmt)
8. UNIV OF AUSTIN TEXAS (McCOMBS)
9. WAKE FOREST (BABCOCK) (NC)
10. UNIV OF MARYLAND,COLLEGE PARK

9&10 are my safety colleges and 1 & 2 my stretches..HBS i will only apply for the second round..Please tell me what relevant changes i could make in this shortlist..

My safety's are Maryland and Wake forest..i've heard a lot about their strength in their e-ship programs..Is the choice ok or do you suggest looking at any other safety colleges with better e-ship programs..should i opt for Univ of Arizona instead of maryland?

Also out of my shortlist which schools do you think are against candidates who are 22 years old.. i mean against younger candidates and which of them accept the same more readily..
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think that Maryland and Wake Forest are good schools to include. My strongest suggestion would be to diversify the schools in the Ultra Elite and Elite clusters.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
diversify as in..what do you suggest..please explain or suggest any colleges...also please out of my shortlist are there any colleges who do not accept or discourage students with low work ex..if yes then which colleges can i potentially change them with...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hi hjort can you please reply what you mean by diversify ?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry, I missed your post on Sep 20. By diversify I mean look at some other schools for inclusion in your portfolio. Think of the schools as representing a curve of probability of admission- you want as smooth a curve of possible and minimize the gaps. Right now you have some large gaps- you leap from Harvard perhaps the second toughest admit to Duke and Dartmouth.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to "push" any particular school. However, I would take a very close look at other ultraelites such as Penn and other elites such as UCLA that have expressly stated an interest in younger candidate and are strong in the domains that interest you. Many times I have seen students with poorly structured portfolios fail to maximize their cluster attainment- there is no need for this to happen if one plans carefully.

I hope this makes more sense.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
i did realize what you were saying and it does make a lot of sense..there was a gaping hope between "quality" of schools..i have rectified it to a certain extent..

1. HARVARD
2. WHARTON
3. CORNELL
4. DUKE’S
5. TUCK
6. TEXAS AUSTIN
7. BABSON
8. INDIANA KELLEY
9. MARYLAND SMITH
10. WAKE FOREST

Most of the colleges lie within the elite range with HBS,PENN as stretches and wake forest and maryland as safeties..
hopefully the shortlist above offers a smoother transistion..Also im not too sure of applyin to Texas or Maryland..I would like to apply to Kenan Flagler instead but i heard that they discourage students with less than 2 years of ex to apply..is this true..should i exclude one of texas or maryland and apply to UNC instead ?..

Also i cant make it for the HBS,Penn 1st round deadlines..will i stand a good chance even if i apply in the 2nd round ?..

Any insight would be appreciated..
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Have you looked at Carnegie/Tepper?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yeah i have ..i noticed that they have pretty lenient work ex criteria as stated on their web site..but arent they very finance oriented ? .. are the mkting or general mgmt programs there good as well..

also what about kenan flagler..should i substitute UNC with maryland or texas?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Carnegie Mellon offers tracks in general management, eship, and computational marketing. I would describe it as more of a quantitative school than a finance one, and traditionally it was firmly in the "management as science" mold.

https://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142012

There is also a marketing concentration within the GM track-

https://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142017
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]