GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Nov 2018, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

People have discovered the principles of solar energy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Life
People have discovered the principles of solar energy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:16) correct 27% (01:34) wrong based on 222 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

People have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but will forget them every time a new source of cheap energy is developed.

(A) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but will forget
(B) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel has become scarce and expensive but they forget
(C) discovered the principles of solar energy every time fuel becomes scarce and expensive, forgetting
(D) discover the principles of solar energy every time fuel became scarce and expensive, but they forget
(E) discover the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but forget

Originally posted by xALIx on 13 Feb 2009, 19:33.
Last edited by broall on 14 Mar 2018, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Re: People have discovered the principles of solar energy  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2009, 05:05
Hi mates,

IMO E

It's the only one that follows //ism

OA and SOurce?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
http://gmatclub.com/forum/johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2009, 05:58
xALIx wrote:
People have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but will forget them every time a new source of cheap energy is developed.
(A) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but will forget
(B) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel has become scarce and expensive but they forget
(C) discovered the principles of solar energy every time fuel becomes scarce and expensive, forgetting
(D) discover the principles of solar energy every time fuel became scarce and expensive, but they forget
(E) discover the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but forget

agree with E for proper tenses and parallelsim.

other options have tense mismatch and not parallel

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2009, 06:36

My Explanation:
---------------
(A) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but will forget ---> Tense mismatch

(B) have discovered the principles of solar energy whenever fuel has become scarce and expensive but they forget ---> Tense mismatch

(C) discovered the principles of solar energy every time fuel becomes scarce and expensive, forgetting ---> Tense mismatch

(D) discover the principles of solar energy every time fuel became scarce and expensive, but 'they' forget ---> We don't need the subject (here 'people') twice; it'll make the sentence sound redundant. So, we can do away with it.

(E) discover the principles of solar energy whenever fuel becomes scarce and expensive but forget ---> Correct.
---------------

Hence, my choice is option 'E'

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2009, 18:38
E. Key is parallelism between discover and forget and need present tense for something that happens all the time(fuel becomes scarce and expensive).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 05:48
I agree with E

But, does this sentence make sense? Principles are to be discovered only once, aren't they? How can any one keep on discovering the same set of principles over and over again?

Cheers,
Unplugged
SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2009, 01:42
unplugged wrote:
I agree with E

But, does this sentence make sense? Principles are to be discovered only once, aren't they? How can any one keep on discovering the same set of principles over and over again?

Cheers,
Unplugged

Yeap!! It will be better if we replace "discover" with "rediscover"

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2009, 15:04
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2009, 07:14
marshpa wrote:
E. Key is parallelism between discover and forget and need present tense for something that happens all the time(fuel becomes scarce and expensive).

super ... I know it's a tense mismatch question but I was confused to choose between A and E. now, after seeing parallelism between discover and forget, it makes sense.

thanks , +1 for ya.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2009, 21:14
E and seems to be unanimous...!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 19:20
it is hard to differentiate between simple tense and present perfect. choic e has tense parallel. though i prefer perfect present tense in choice e than simple tense in choice e.
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2018, 19:35
E is better
1. Since it is a fact its better to keep it in simple tense.
2. whenever is a definite time indicator , something is happening at a definite time, present perfect is a period from present to some time in past, so if something is happening at present then people discovering ways from sometime in past to present doesnt make sense. People discover at that point of time when cause is happening.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take..

KUDOS Please..!!

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 06:37
Quote:

A, B - use of present perfect tense is incorrect. - INCORRECT
C - how can people discover in the past when fuel becomes expensive in the future - INCORRECT
D - has a tense issue. Fuel became expensive in the past but people are discovering now. Apart from that this is not parallel.
Quote:
People discover, but they forget

E - Correct tense and parallel - CORRECT
GMAT Club Bot
Re: People have discovered the principles of solar energy &nbs [#permalink] 08 Sep 2018, 06:37

People have discovered the principles of solar energy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap