It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 13:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD after MBA (for year 2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

PhD after MBA (for year 2020) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2015, 03:28
I am an Engineer with two years work experience. I have good academic scores as of now. I am starting my MBA in Marketing (2015-17) from IMT Ghaziabad, India.
I wish to do PhD in future after two years more of work experience after completing my MBA. I would need a good GMAT score to get into some of the top universities around the globe.

1) I wish to know whether it is appropriate to take the GMAT now (when I am fresh with all the quant and verbal concepts) and apply using that score in year 2020 (given GMAT is valid for 5 years, isn't it?)

2) Also, what all things should I take care of during my MBA and in job so as to be a competitive PhD applicant.

3) Are Indian universities like ISB good for PhD? What other Indian universities are good for PhD?

4) How much tuition fees one can expect while doing Phd (for good bschool in US, Europe and Singapore)?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: PhD after MBA (for year 2020) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2015, 10:34
jagmohangarg2904 wrote:
1) I wish to know whether it is appropriate to take the GMAT now (when I am fresh with all the quant and verbal concepts) and apply using that score in year 2020 (given GMAT is valid for 5 years, isn't it?)

GMAT is valid for 5 years, so if you are certain you will apply in 2020, then it may make sense to take it now.

By the way, why do you want to do an MBA before you do the PhD? Your post-MBA work experience will not have any (positive) impact on your PhD admission prospects.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:
2) Also, what all things should I take care of during my MBA and in job so as to be a competitive PhD applicant.

Try to work with some professors as a research assistant, and get your name in published papers.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:
3) Are Indian universities like ISB good for PhD? What other Indian universities are good for PhD?

The research world is quite different from the corporate world. There is no answer to which schools are good for PhD. You need to ask which schools are generating great research in my target discipline.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:
4) How much tuition fees one can expect while doing Phd (for good bschool in US, Europe and Singapore)?

Most US and European schools will waive the tuition, and provide a small stipend for the duration of the PhD.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Schools: IE April'15 (M)
WE: Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Re: PhD after MBA (for year 2020) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2016, 13:53
corpguy wrote:
jagmohangarg2904 wrote:

GMAT is valid for 5 years, so if you are certain you will apply in 2020, then it may make sense to take it now.

By the way, why do you want to do an MBA before you do the PhD? Your post-MBA work experience will not have any (positive) impact on your PhD admission prospects.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:

Try to work with some professors as a research assistant, and get your name in published papers.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:

The research world is quite different from the corporate world. There is no answer to which schools are good for PhD. You need to ask which schools are generating great research in my target discipline.

jagmohangarg2904 wrote:

Most US and European schools will waive the tuition, and provide a small stipend for the duration of the PhD.

Why do you say that post MBA experience is not positive for the application?

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: PhD after MBA (for year 2020)   [#permalink] 07 Apr 2016, 13:53

PhD after MBA (for year 2020)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: carcass

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap