GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 18:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Phd as a fresher

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Phd as a fresher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 14:26
I finished MBA, 2 months before from a reputed institute in my country and I am preparing to write GMAT next month for 2019 PHD admission.

In the forum, I read a lot of people aspire to do Phd have 5 to 10 years of work experience. Despite the fact that I know experience play some role, because of my family situation, I am considering to do Phd immediately.

Approx I have over 70% in my graduation and MBA. I published a research paper, in my 1st year of MBA and also I am good in Quants and I am holding two world records and an Asian record in solving mathematical calculations. With that be helpful for my profile and compensate my 'Lack of professional experience'?

billionaire
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Phd as a fresher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2018, 17:15
prav04 wrote:
I finished MBA, 2 months before from a reputed institute in my country and I am preparing to write GMAT next month for 2019 PHD admission.

In the forum, I read a lot of people aspire to do Phd have 5 to 10 years of work experience. Despite the fact that I know experience play some role, because of my family situation, I am considering to do Phd immediately.

Approx I have over 70% in my graduation and MBA. I published a research paper, in my 1st year of MBA and also I am good in Quants and I am holding two world records and an Asian record in solving mathematical calculations. With that be helpful for my profile and compensate my 'Lack of professional experience'?

billionaire

Hello prav04

You finished MBA from reputed institute in your country, since you didn't mention name of the institution, I could only assume it is Indian, for instance.

Work experience in never a condition for PhD anywhere, I never saw that as condition for any school, except if you want to do DBA which is executive PhD program, but since we talk about regular PhD which is research degree, you are just fine, you don't need any work experience to apply and be seriously considered.

There will be many people on PhD studies who came even from bachelor studies, without master degree, with zero work experience.

Your GPA is fine.

Published research paper is a big plus.

Being good at quants and especially having two world records in maths/calculations in your CV is simply awesome and will be a game changer in admission committee eyes.

Congrats on that ! :thumbup:

That is going to be particular advantage in you are shooting for PhD in more quantitative subject by nature, then again you didn't specified your study and research area, however it is going to be significant plus for any intended business PhD application.

Once again for PhD degree you dont need any work and professional experience, that's for MBA.

The faculty are looking for research skills and potential, and focus primarily on your research statement, recommendations, transcripts, and test scores.

Good luck with application ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Re: Phd as a fresher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Sep 2018, 15:08
Yeah, lots of people who aspire to do a PhD have work experience. That doesn't mean schools really care about that. Usually, research experience is something they care a lot, teaching experience they may also care a little, and work experience is the least important of all.

Because, in the end, schools are trying to understand your potential to become a researcher. And work experience is a very poor indicator of research potential. You can have 50 years of work experience and still zero potential to become a researcher.

Then, there is nothing to compensate for. Lack of work experience is not a big issue for most schools. The research paper you published is worth a lot more to them than years of work experience, since that's a much stronger evidence of your potential to become a researcher. And few applicants have that.

So, lots of applicants have work experience. Do schools care? Usually not. On the other hand, few applicants have published a research paper. Do schools care? Usually a lot.

That being said, of course there are some differences depending on the school and the field you will be applying to. I've heard people from other fields and other schools saying that for, their program, work experience is as important as teaching experience, for example. Usually when the research interest is very close to real-world issues of real companies. In such cases, having work experience makes it easier to understand the issues companies are facing, and communicate with people from those companies. But even then work experience is not a requirement.

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Phd as a fresher &nbs [#permalink] 21 Sep 2018, 15:08

Phd as a fresher

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap