It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 08:06

Live Now:

GMAT Verbal Live on YouTube: Join Now!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 22:02
Hey All,

I'm from india and working in a consulting firm for more than 3 years now. I am interested in advanced study and a career in research, and hence considering a PhD over an MBA. My areas of interest are Decision Sciences and Behavorial Economics. Although my work is mainly focused around marketing, we do employ a lot of concepts from decision sciences for our work (be it heavy data analytics or general marketing principles).

Here's a brief description of my profile :

1. Education : 2013 Graduate - 7.6/10 (GPA) ( B.E Mechanical Engineering ; MSc. Chemistry) ; decent extra-curriculars
2. Work Ex : ~4 Years in consulting and data analytics ; fast promotion - few awards - internal initiatives (started a quizzing club, lead teams in hackathons, etc etc.)
3. GMAT - In a month (targeting 750)

Questions -

1) What kind of PhD programs should I look for?
- From my initial research, marketing PhDs suit my interest
- There are a few specialized PhDs programs, Behavorial Decision Science, Social and Decision Sciences @ CMU - ideally, i'd like to get admitted to such
program
- Any suggestions?

2) I don't have any published research, although a lot of my work is around decision science (a few internal publications on digital marketing, yes, but as i
mentioned, internal publications)
- What are some ways in which I can contribute to research independently? Any platform for collaboration?
- Any other way?

3) There's a disconnect between my education (engineering/science) and area of work (consulting) - how big a factor is this?
- I've briefly worked in automobile and my major consulting projects are for pharma firms (Chemistry actually helps!)
- Given my profile, what are some safe, and ambitious universities for me?

Happy to connect.

Thanks,
A.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Re: PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 08:57
Marketing PhD would really fit your profile, in my opinion. More specifically, Quantitative Marketing (which, basically, is the use of economics and statistics in Marketing).

It seems to me that the PhD program you mentioned at CMU is not at Tepper School of Business, but Dietrich College of Humanities & Social Sciences. If you apply to programs outside business schools, they will probably not accept your GMAT and you should take the GRE instead. Please confirm it first.

Remember that PhD is different from MBA. Extracurriculars may not be that relevant, unless they help in research, for example.

If you really get a GMAT score of 750, it's a great score, specially if you ace the Quant section. It should be enough to make any school take a look at you, even the top ones.

It seems the lack of research experience is a weakness in your profile. I see a MSc in Chemistry in your profile. Didn't you do any research over there? Even if it's in a different field, it would help.

Some people try to get some research experience working as an assistant to a professor, for example. But i don't know hat that works.

I don't see a problem in the disconnection between education and work. I don't think they are even so disconnected. There are lots of engineers doing Marketing PhD and consultancy is a possible work for them. If you apply to a PhD program whose reseach in done in partnership with companies, to solve their actual problems, experience in consultancy may be interesting. Just don't state that's your goal, since your aim when applying to a PhD in a career doing research in academia.

I think many posts in my blog can help you, like this one:
http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/2017/ ... y-for.html

http://myphdtales.blogspot.com.br/

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Re: PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2017, 02:28
BrazilianPhD

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, some of the specific programs that interest me have a GRE requirement, but I'll focus on GMAT first as it covers the majority. If needed, will take GRE as well. Planning to get done with all the exams (GMAT/GRE/TOEFL) by mid-year, so that I can focus on the applications in the second half.

I do have some research experience during my masters - but no publications. I was hoping if I could contribute to some relevant on-going research in terms of data crunching and analysis - not sure where to start though.

Thanks again! Will go through your blog :)

Re: PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2017, 02:28

PhD in Decision Sciences/Behavorial Economics

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap