GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

PhD Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
PhD Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 04:14
I am really interested in PhD in Management from USA Bschools. My brief details are as mentioned below:

10th: 79%
12th: 79%

B.Tech (Electrical Engineering)-2004-08
CGPA: 7.2/10
Work experience: Around 10 years
GMAT: 710(q48, v39)

My work experience has been majorly around PMC (Project Management Consultant) as an Engineer. During those 10 years, I have been involved in Design, procurement, coordination with vendors and clients for setting up of Oil and Gas Refineries.

The work involves Management of the project with respect to intra department coordination along with external coordination with various clients and vendors.

Now, I want to pursue PHD in Management. I am really interested in Strategy domain, however, I don't have any past track to corelate the strategy domain interest.I gained interest in strategy part after going through random literature about the subjects and aspects of the same domain.

So, my query is whether I should look forward to PhD programs in USA considering my irrelevant work experience profile.
Further, I would like to know views if my experience coorelates to any domain of PhD in Management.

Regards

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: PhD Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 03:48
Swat40 wrote:
I am really interested in PhD in Management from USA Bschools. My brief details are as mentioned below:

10th: 79%
12th: 79%

B.Tech (Electrical Engineering)-2004-08
CGPA: 7.2/10
Work experience: Around 10 years
GMAT: 710(q48, v39)

My work experience has been majorly around PMC (Project Management Consultant) as an Engineer. During those 10 years, I have been involved in Design, procurement, coordination with vendors and clients for setting up of Oil and Gas Refineries.

The work involves Management of the project with respect to intra department coordination along with external coordination with various clients and vendors.

Now, I want to pursue PHD in Management. I am really interested in Strategy domain, however, I don't have any past track to corelate the strategy domain interest.I gained interest in strategy part after going through random literature about the subjects and aspects of the same domain.

So, my query is whether I should look forward to PhD programs in USA considering my irrelevant work experience profile.
Further, I would like to know views if my experience coorelates to any domain of PhD in Management.

Regards

Hello Swat40

Congrats on lofty idea of doing PhD :thumbup:

Your working experience and duration are commendable and admission committee will see that as positive sign, not because of the nature of working experience, but because after that career shifting to PhD degree will be perceived like genuine interest.

Good news is that in US is quite usual to shift from one subject to another, from bachelor/master initial subject to new sometimes not much related PhD subject, in your case from engineering and your working experience to Management Strategy.

It is actually even desirable from admission aspect of view since they like diversification in background, and people do in fact have various interest in life, so don;t worry about that at all.

You will just address in your personal essay, how you found your passion related to Management Strategy by reading and how you would like to pursue research in that area.

In another words you don't need past record (education/working experience) to correlate with your newly discovered passion, except to state what you have read, authors, articles, publications etc.

You should look forward to PhD in US, your GMAT/GPA is fine.

Regarding finding possible program that is relevant to your working experience, I could do research for you, but point is it would not be beneficial for you, that somebody gives you everything on silver platter, by doing requested research own your own (your homework) you will learn how to select schools for your application list etc.

Just to be clear, do you want to pursue Management Strategy on PhD studies or you want to find something more directly related to your working experience ?

I don't see a reason why you should ditch what your described as your passion (Strategy), for something that you think will fit more, although that is just an illusion.

Good Luck ! :cool:

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Re: PhD Profile Review  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2018, 10:13
billionaire
First of all, thanks for the reply. To be very frank, I agree that my past education and work experience is not closely relevant to phD in Management. But, I feel that Management is experienced by each individual from his personal to professional life. During my last 10 years, I have experienced the basics of Management in every aspect of life. So I feel that doing Management pHd is getting one step closer to theoretical basis and structured learning towards the Management.
I feel that I am facing stagnation and Engineering does not propel me to pusue it at PHD level. The courses at the PhD level will definitely equip me with the strong theoretical concepts for the new field, in the expert guidance of the Renonwed profs.
Presently, planning for a retake in GMAT since quant level is not the desired score and expect it to be at least 50.
I understand that at this level, it is not apt to recommend Bschools for any one else. But, I feel that those recommendations may provide me an additional info to further research my interest. So please share your views since I believe that the reason of posting here is to have expert comments and feedbacks from various experts, providing me new insights to venture exciting opportunities.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: PhD Profile Review &nbs [#permalink] 27 Nov 2018, 10:13

PhD Profile Review

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, carcass

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap