GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Placeholder IT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Placeholder IT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 13:02
Hi,

Please, could someone explain how to use the "Placeholder IT" when a That-Clause or an Infinitive is an object? I don't understand the explanation of the MGMAT SC. Could you provide some examples?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Re: Placeholder IT  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2011, 23:16
Two important things -
Placeholder It doesn't refer to a noun antecedent.
Placeholder It is used in a sentence at a place where the subject or object was present earlier.

Example -
Dhoni made 'It' possible for the Indian cricket team 'to Win' the World Cup.
or
Dhoni made a complete 'attendance' of spectators at the world cup possible.

Placeholder It is not required in the second sentence as action noun attendance befits it's role.

Thank you.
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 07:37
Thank you!, Kudos for you.

Could you please transform the first example without using the "Placeholder IT"? That's exactly the part I don't understand in the MGMAT SC.

Thanks!

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 09:24
Certain words such as ‘it and there’ are sometimes used to hold just places, without any serious intent or meaning. They do not in fact refer to any noun, either object or subject. They may represent some notions, feeling or some such general abstractions.

Let us look at some examples

It is written on the medicine bottle that it is dangerous for children to use without prescription

In this what does the first ‘it’ refer to; there is no word that it can point out to except the general caution on the bottle. Similarly what is dangerous? Is it the usage or the bottle? It refers to actually a notion of using without prescription is dangerous. Norms of pronoun usage don't hold good here.

2. It says in the TV that there will be many more natural calamities occurring on the earth than ever before.

It says- what or who says? The 'it' stands for nothing in particular but for some general talk. Similarly in there will be, there stands for a place holder

3. Although it is well known that GMAT is no ordinary test, every one wants to beat it

It is well known—what is well known? No one knows except that it is some kind of knowledge. Wants to beat it is a pronoun it that stands for the test per se.

4. There is no room for lethargy when you want to cross 750 in GMAT
Here, the word ‘there’ is just a place holder; its purpose is to fill up some gap, and aid the flow of the sentence.

Place holders are acceptable usages in formal written communications.

This is just my opinion. Since, I don’t have MGMAT SC guide and don’t follow either MGMAT or anything else for that matter, my comments have nothing to do with what it( MGMAT) says.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 09:34
@ metallicafan:

Dhoni made 'It' possible for the Indian cricket team 'to Win' the World Cup;

To paraphrase the above sentence without the place holder, it may have to be written like this
Dhoni made possible the winning of the world cup for the Indian cricket team.

You can see why the transcribed version is not preferred. Isn’t it really awkward?
Placeholders are handy in such cases

Narendran +9198845 44509

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2011, 10:06
Thank you daagh! Double kudos for you! 8-)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2013, 00:49
I think the post in this link will be useful in clarifying your doubts

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/advice-needed-on-sc-problem-from-ets-paper-exam-t11187-15.html
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 01:26

It is written on the medicine bottle that it is dangerous for children to use without prescription

I have a question for Daagh: Is the second "it" ambiguous? Can we call it as a place-holder pronoun?
Retired Moderator
D

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 01:59
amit
yes; the second it is also a place holder. Obviously it cannot refer to bottle, as you see, we cannot say the bottle is dangerous

Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 02:12
Thanks Daagh, for your reply. I have some more curiosity over this question..and thanks for helping us with your prompt replies on so many queries :) :)

I believe your reasoning, in the last reply, is more on logical terms than on grammatical terms
.And as a fact, I would agree with you, that a bottle cannot be dangerous rather , it is the content of the bottle that can be dangerous.

But if we focus grammatically only on the sentence, does Medicine bottle not an antecedent for the second "it" in the sentence.what do you suggest?

Regards
Amit
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: University of texas at
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Research (Consumer Products)

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 09:16
Can anyone explain why "It is more likely that a medical student rather than a law student will party at this hour." is wrong?

It is used here as "Placeholder It" I guess.
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2016, 16:42
farzana87 wrote:
Can anyone explain why "It is more likely that a medical student rather than a law student will party at this hour." is wrong?

It is used here as "Placeholder It" I guess.

The mistake here is in the verb tense

The action is happening at this hour "NOW". "will party" is future. Hence the sentence is wrong.

Corrected sentence should look like:

It is more likely that a medical student rather than a law student is partying at this hour.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 04:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: Placeholder IT &nbs [#permalink] 25 Aug 2018, 04:40

Placeholder IT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap