GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Plan B

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
CAT Tests
Plan B  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 06:48
Hi Admission Experts,

I need help in deciding my future goals, which are realistic. I've postponed my GMAT toward the end of the year, kissing the ivy deadlines goodbye. I'm stuck in 550 on my practice exams. There's no way I'll get 700+ on the real exam.

Keeping my verbal score constant(can't improve much in a month), my plan is to score as high as possible in quant, so that I can get a score of 580-600 and apply to schools, such as University of Pittsburg, Pennstate, Lehigh University, Temple and Drexel, for a 1-year Masters in Marketing/Education. Re-apply to Ivy: Wharton (my first choice), Columbia and NYU ( MBA in Fashion Luxury) after consistently studying for 3-4 months.

Is that a good Plan? What if I get 550!

I think having a masters degree will make my resume, which I've attached, stronger. Isn't it?

I am so confused which program will be best for me.

Thanks in advance :)
Jeesa
Attachments

jeesa resume.pdf [77.53 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times

To download please login or register as a user

Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Plan B  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2018, 20:46
I think this is a good plan for the initial list of schools that you've named here. Unfortunately even with a 700+ though, schools like Wharton, NYU & Columbia are still going to be solidly in the reach category for you based on your work experience. I took a look at your resume and while it looks like you've had some interesting jobs, they won't be on par with the types of applicants who are getting into those schools & who have driven significant results at MBB consulting firms, large tech firms, Fortune 500 firms etc. Rather than aiming so high, my advice if you are able to score the 700 is to still aim in the 20-40 range, where schools might be more willing to consider your non-traditional background since you'd be above average for their GMAT. I'd also encourage you to do some thinking about WHY you want this degree & what your post-MBA goals are. Yes, an MBA can enhance your resume, but it's a huge investment of time and money & you want to make sure it's necessary for your career goals. In addition to that, strong post-MBA goals are also critical to telling a credible story in your application about why you need the degree (i.e. the skill gaps you need to fill to achieve your goals) and why a particular school is your top choice. If you are just looking for the credibility that an MBA brings, the degree honesty might not be the best option for you. And if you are looking to learn specific skill gaps but you're unable to improve your GMAT I'd consider some online programs, which are much easier to get into & would still allow you to learn the skills!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2018, 20:00
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reality check.

Do you think I will have a better chance of getting accepted if I apply to Upenn School of Education than Wharton?

Thanks
Jeesa
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2018, 20:38
You may have a good shot at the ed program but again it will depend on your GRE score - you'll ideally want to hit or exceed their average!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Plan B

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap