GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Plan for 2019.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member
Plan for 2019.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2018, 07:49
Hey MSFHQ,

My profile:
Final Year of Bachelor of Engineering Computer Science in BITS Pilani, India.
GPA: 7.2 / 10 (First Division).
2 internships: one in a Fortune 50 in machine learning for 6 months, and other in an NGO 2 months.
ECs: cofounded two small startups, even won a competition for one of the startups.
GMAT: 760 (Q50 V42, AWA 6.0, IR 8)
IELTS: 8.

I have applied for MSc finance in both Bocconi and ESADE and have been rejected in both, rejected in ESADE after the interview.
My essays were strong. Bocconi said that my GPA was lower than other accepted applicants, don't know about ESADE. I think a lack of proof of my interest in finance also played a small part in my rejection.

In any case,
So I am planning ahead for 2019 admissions. And will apply for round 1 this time for all the universities (around October).
My current List is:

LBS MFA,
HEC Paris MiF, MiM,
Oxford MFE,
MIT MFin,
University of Virginia MS Commerce with Finance specialization,
Duke Fuqua MMS,
Michigan Ross Masters of Management,
Rotman Masters in Financial Risk Management,
UT Austin, McCombs MS Finance,
USC MS finance,
Vanderbilt MS FInance.
University of Notre Dame, Mendoza MS in Management, (what do you think about this programme, I don't have much info).

Also, I have applied and started preparing for CFA Level 1, 2018(June), so I will most probably have that on my resume when I apply for masters.
For the year 2018-2019, I have secured a job in a multi-billion dollar tech startup.
In my opinion, I can do any of the above masters and complete my masters in the same year(2020) as I would in Bocconi (since it is 2 years), and I would add some money and work experience from my job to my profile. Also, I want to a job after masters in the same country as my masters.

My main goal is to get a TOP 5 MBA in the USA after 4 years in a job after my masters.
So I wanted to ask you three things:
1) My chances in these schools, did I miss any top schools, do I have at least 1 safe school on my the list.
3) Can I do anything in the next few months to make my profile even stronger( I am already doing CFA).
2) I want to do my masters in the school which will help my MBA application, at least that is my main goal for masters, so in your opinion which schools will most help my chances in a top 5 MBA. How would the adcom of the TOP 5 MBAs feel about these schools.
I hope you get my questions.

Thank you,
DIII.

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Plan for 2019.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2018, 02:23
Hey there,

You have an interesting profile, here are some pointers about the same:

Your GPA is slightly on the lower side, but that can be compensated by your impressive GMAT score.
Your work experience also looks good. Having start up experience can be a differentiating factor.
B-Schools place a lot of emphasis on social volunteering. It is good that you have a 2 month experience with an NGO, but a more long term association with community development would be beneficial.
Since you are planning for the 2019 intake, you have time to build up your volunteering
Experience.

In my opinion,ESADE and Bocconi should have been possible.
Since you had applied for finance programs, lack of any background in the subject might have played a part in your rejection.

Despite the fact that you seem confident about your essays, I would strongly suggest that you re-evaluate your strategy for the same.
When it comes to top B-Schools, it is important to note that almost everyone who applies has a stellar profile- complete with great academics, work experience and extra-curriculars.
So even with an impressive profile, you are starting on level ground with 20,000+ applicants. Adcoms are not interested in participation, they need to know what kind of impact you created through your experiences.
Essays are a great way to showcase this, so make sure that you do your research and get them thoroughly reviewed.

As far as your target schools are concerned, here’s how you can categorize them:

Oxford,HEC and MIT are highly competitive schools and can be categorized under your dream schools.
LBS, Duke and Michigan are definitely possible with an early application, so they can be listed under competitive schools.
Rest of the schools are within reach, so you can consider them as your safe schools.

Since you are want to work in the same country where you studied, you must check out the Visa and immigration laws for the your preferred countries. We do have an extensive post about it as well - http://www.mim-essay.com/blog/visa-and-immigration/

In case you have more questions about how you can improve your acceptance chances at your target schools, you can schedule a free call with us to discuss more :
https://mim-essay.typeform.com/to/rsGn1u

Abhyank Srinet
Founder at http://www.MiM-Essay.com

MSc. in Management(MiM) Admission Consultants

Get consultation from graduates of HEC, ESCP, ESSEC, LBS & Duke

Feel free to message me, if you have any MiM/MSc. related questions or want a detailed Free profile evaluation

Manager
Manager
G
Schools: LBS (I)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Premium Member
Re: Plan for 2019.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 11:55
Hey MSFHQ , what do you think?

A kudo a day keeps the doctor away.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Plan for 2019. &nbs [#permalink] 17 Mar 2018, 11:55

Plan for 2019.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap