Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 392 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats...nice score
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Great score!!

Curious, why do you say that Verbal is the key (vs. Quant)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
tl372,

This could be specific to my case, but what I noticed during my preparation is that once you reach 45-47 zone on Quant, to get to 700+ you have to get 39-40 in verbal.
I figured, efforts involved in getting to 49-51 in Quant will be lot more compared to those involved in getting to 40 in verbal. (Note: I was in 32-36 range on verbal). Hence I did following to improve my verbal -
1. Took lots of practice tests, specially the difficult ones such as KAPLAN,ARCO. This helped a lot with timing. Although I was stuck at 31-32 in KAPLAN verbal, I was finishing verbal section with time to spare.
2. Did lot of CRs questions from LSAT book, they are more difficult compared to the those on real test, but they help a lot in building confidence.
3. SC was always my strongest, but I still kept practicing from different sources such as KAPLAN, ARCO, Manhattan GMAT and of course OG. As I realized if you stick to one source, you kind of get used to the flaws.

Again, this is all specific to my case and experiences with practice tests. IMHO Quant is important but instead of acing the Quant, getting descent Quant scores and then improving on Verbal will eventually result in higher overall scores.

PS: Thanks for all the responses; appreciation of ones efforts from fellow GMAT takers always means a lot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
tamg710 wrote:
tl372,

This could be specific to my case, but what I noticed during my preparation is that once you reach 45-47 zone on Quant, to get to 700+ you have to get 39-40 in verbal.
I figured, efforts involved in getting to 49-51 in Quant will be lot more compared to those involved in getting to 40 in verbal. (Note: I was in 32-36 range on verbal). Hence I did following to improve my verbal -
1. Took lots of practice tests, specially the difficult ones such as KAPLAN,ARCO. This helped a lot with timing. Although I was stuck at 31-32 in KAPLAN verbal, I was finishing verbal section with time to spare.
2. Did lot of CRs questions from LSAT book, they are more difficult compared to the those on real test, but they help a lot in building confidence.
3. SC was always my strongest, but I still kept practicing from different sources such as KAPLAN, ARCO, Manhattan GMAT and of course OG. As I realized if you stick to one source, you kind of get used to the flaws.

Again, this is all specific to my case and experiences with practice tests. IMHO Quant is important but instead of acing the Quant, getting descent Quant scores and then improving on Verbal will eventually result in higher overall scores.

PS: Thanks for all the responses; appreciation of ones efforts from fellow GMAT takers always means a lot.

which lsat book are you referring to? thanks..did you do lsat RC passages from that book too?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I used "Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests", it has actual LSAT test questions. I did not do much of RC from there. Also note that this book does not have answer explanations.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
QUANT Question [#permalink]
Thanks for your detailed posts and congrats on the awesome score. I will be taking the exam myself on July 9th and was wondering if you can let us know a little more about the Quant section, in your opinion was it more like GMATPrep difficulty wise I mean, i know difficulty is hard to measure but I am jusy curious. Were the first few tough? I need a 550 to make it to the evening program that i am applying to and am kind of nervous. How do you overcome test anxiety during the exam any suggestions/feedback will be appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
salama,

Quant –

I thought real test problems were as difficult as GMATPrep, may be a bit more tedious (needing an extra calculation or so). OG problems are a good indication of type of Quant questions you might get.

To do reasonably well on Quant, you have to pay attention to minute details. Keep an eye for absolute vs. percentage, at least, at most etc. Even if you see the answer you arrived at in the choices, take few extra seconds to confirm that quantity you calculated is the one that is being asked. Typically correct answer is one calculation away from incorrect answer.

Test Anxiety –

For me, taking lots of full (CAT) practice tests turned out to be a good preparation for dealing with anxiety. I remember being anxious even before practice tests, although magnitude was not the same. So when stepping in for real test, I was kind of used to the feeling.

Try and keep positive attitude. After all the preparation, test is an opportunity to evaluate how well you can do (that too instantly).

All the best … make the most of the preparation time left.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Which ARCO book are you referring to?

I have the Unofficial guide from ARCO. The CD that comes with this book, however, has only one practise CAT test.

Is ARCO good?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks [#permalink]
Appreciate you taking the time. This really helps, I have taken the GMATPrep
around 7-8 times now I know it sounds crazy but just want to do as many as possible as you have mentioned that is a good way to deal with the anxiety do as many as possbile until it becomes routine... Gives me some confidence to know that the Quant is similar to the GmatPrep i guess will have to give my 100% and see how it goes.
One final thing should i just stick to OG11 and GMATPrep the last 3 weeks that i have left? Thanks again
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
imjimmy,

This is the ARCO book I was referring to ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0768919266/sr=8-1/qid=1150387331/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-5761723-4774303?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It has 9 full tests (6 in book + 3 on CD) I used the book tests for Verbal practice, and I think they were pretty good.

Salama,

3 weeks is still a lot of time, I would keep practicing from different sources and stick to OG during last week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Salama, thanks for your response and congratulations on being done!

I'm taking the exam this Saturday....been studying for the last 2 months so I hope my hard work will pay off. It's my 2nd time taking the exam and hopefully my last!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts