GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
CAT Tests
Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 09:32
Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to thank you all for your support and time spent on helping me. Also would like to thanks all the people that actively build this community and help so many students.

I took the gmat 2 times in a month.

- 1st attempt // September 29th - Score 590 (Q42/V31) // This was a big hit and I felt horrible when I saw the score in that screen (attached ESR)
- 2nd attempt // October 23rd - Score 670 (Q44/V39) // This was lot better. I made a big improvement in verbal but not in quant (attached ESR)

My goal is a 710 (Q48/V39), I have scheduled a new attempt for November 14th.

Bellow are my practice tests:
- GMAT Prep 1 // September 19th - 680 (Q48/V35)
- GMAT Prep 2 // September 21st - 710 (Q49/V38)
- GMAT Prep 3 // October 10th - 710 (Q47/V41)
- GMAT Prep 4 // October 17th - 710 (Q48/V39)

As you can see my practice test are pretty consistent, but mostly my quant is at least 47-48. I don't understand why I am performing so bad in the real test. From my ESR I can see that in the last attempt I killed my score in the last set of questions, I was running out of time and got nervous. Probably because in my first attempt the first 2 sets were really bad. Therefore I decided that for the next attempt I should focus on having a stronger first half of test.

My preparation is mostly with E-GMAT and Official GMAT Prep.

What advice can you give me to improve my math and what should be my preparation for the following 2 weeks?

Thanks again for your help!
Attachments

Matias Cancela_340380021_ESR.pdf [476.55 KiB]
Downloaded 14 times

To download please login or register as a user

Matias Cancela_342159797_ESR.pdf [485.66 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

To download please login or register as a user

Matias

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 10:04
Hi mcancela,

First off, a 670/Q44 is a strong score (it's above the 80th percentile overall), so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

http://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admission ... tants-124/

There's certainly no harm in retesting - and you have the potential to pick up a bunch of points in the Quant section. Before we discuss the data in your ESRs, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) Did you take your CATs at home? Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
CAT Tests
Re: Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2018, 11:02
Hello Rich,

Thank you for your reply! Below you will find my answers.

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? I started in September of last year when I moved to USA because of my wife's relocation, so it has been a very long journey. I am full time dedicated to this preparation.
2) What study materials have you used so far? Last year I went to an in-person course so studied the course materials mixed with the official guide. This year I worked with e-gmat and a tutor via skype that I consult on quant.
3) Did you take your CATs at home? Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)? Yes, all the cats where taken at home but I skip IR and Essay. I take them approximately at 10 am. This is an interesting fact because the first test that was really bad I took it at 8am and the last one (670) was at 10:30. As my test center doesn't have the 10:30 option anymore I've signed up for the new test at 10:30 at an other location 80 miles form home but I am going to stay in a hotel the night before to be close to the test center.

Goals:
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School? My objective is round 2, but it depends on my GMAT score
5) What Schools are you planning to apply to? Wharton, Yale, HBS, Stanford, Booth, Mc Combs.

Please let me know if I can facilitate anymore useful information, sorry for the fast writing.

Matias

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2018, 17:12
Hi mcancela,

I’m sorry to hear how things went with your GMAT, but 670 is not a total disaster, right? Your verbal score was as high or higher than the verbal scores from the majority of your practice exams, and your quant score was only 3 points lower than your quant score from October 10. Regarding the drop in quant, you already mentioned that you were nervous while taking the exam, and thus it’s likely that your nerves negatively affected your performance. Additionally, it’s quite possible that you have some lingering weaknesses that were exposed on test day. For the next 2 weeks, you need to spend some time going through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point.

For example, if you find that you are not strong in answering Number Properties questions, then carefully review the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions and practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and types of questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about
how to improve your GMAT quant score.

Please reach out with any further questions.

Let’s do this!!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2018, 00:07
Hi mcancela,

I am sorry to know that your scores were not in line with your expectations. In order to give you precise inputs, I would like to check the data of your preparation on Scholaranium and course dashboard along with all the information you have shared here and your ESR. Please send over your ESR through the registered email id to support@e-gmat.com.

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score &nbs [#permalink] 29 Oct 2018, 00:07

Please help! I have 700+ practice tests but still don't get my score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap