It is currently 16 Oct 2017, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 23:38
I appeared for my GMAT on 24th September’17 & score a very low score of 600 (Q-49, V-22).
I have been studying for my GMAT from the past 3 months. My target score is 720+
As you can see my verbal skills are not good at all.

I referred the OG’18 (I suppose I was wrong in the way i used to study)

My major verbal drawbacks are:
1)Low rate of words per minute-
This is a Major drawback in Reading Comprehension questions.
If I try to read quickly, i don’t understand the info very well enough & end up selecting tempting wrong answers.
While, if i give time to process the info then i cannot do justice to all the questions.

2)Getting confused between options- This is a Major drawback in Sentence Correction questions.

3)Overthinking- This affects my Critical Reasoning skills.

My exam strategy was to give equal time to each & every question (i know that the tough ones need more time, maybe this backfired)
Is there any study plan which you can advice me to follow?
I badly need to improve my verbal score.
Please advice.

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3395 [0], given: 172

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2017, 23:00
Hi jayesh99modi,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What type of study routine did you follow over the last 3 months?
2) What study materials have you used besides the OG?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) When are you planning to retake the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks. [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 05:22
Thank you for taking your time out to help applicants like us.

Answers to the questions mentioned by you-
STUDIES:
1) At first i used to solve the problems without timing myself to understand the basic type of questions & to get a feel of where i stand. This went on for around 1 month.
Then i started timing myself & found that i’m making many mistakes after the pressure of the ticking clock (especially in the verbal section).
Hence, i kept practicing to solve the questions correctly. But now i realise that my approach was wrong & also my weakness of low words per minute added to it.
(In order to increase my ability of words per minute, i have started reading books which i never used to!! Yes i know it will take time & i cannot get immediate results, but i want to do whatever is possible) + (i’m know trying to understand how GMAT baits us by selling wrong answer choices & hiding the correct ones, so that we choose the tempting wrong choices on the test day)
This went around 50 days.

2)Besides OG, i had used the notes from a local tutor (which were not fruitful).

3)Scores-
1- Q45,V24 -580
2- Q44,V28- 600
3-Q48,V25- 610 (GMAC prep)
4- Q43,V27 -580(Manhattan prep)
5- Q49,V30- 650 (GMAC prep)
6- Q48,V30- 640
7- Q49,V33- 670
8- Q46,V24- 600 (Veritas Prep)
9- Q44,V31- 620 (Manhattan prep)
10- Q49,V30- 650
11- Q48,V25- 600 (GMAC prep)
12- Q49,V23- 600 (GMAC prep)

[ Order selected- Verbal-1, Quant-2 in test number 4,8,11; rest all tests given with Quant-1, Verbal-2 ]

GOALS-

4)I’m planning to retake the test around mid November. (Haven’t finalised the date yet)

5)I’m planning to apply in 2018

6)In the order of preference-
A-ISB (Indian school of business)
B-IIM (Indian institute of management)
C-NYU (New York University)
D- University of Austin, Texas

(Incase i do get a chance to enter HAVARD/STERN then they will be my first priority for sure, but i know that its very difficult for me)

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 11:56
Hi jayesh99modi,

With a mid-November Test Date, you have about 1.5 months of potential study time. Given your strong Quant skills, you could focus mostly on your Verbal training during that time and potentially improve a great deal.

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, your last 2 CAT scores, combined with your Official Score, show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 600/V23 +/- a few points). That type of Verbal score means that you're losing significant points in all 3 major Verbal categories (SC, RC and CR), so you have to train to 'see' (and respond to) the Verbal section in new ways. You do NOT need to be a 'fast' reader to hit your score goal; you need to be an 'efficient' reader and note-taker. Thankfully, the GMAT is a consistent, predictable Exam, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

1) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 21:29
I can study 50 hours each week (considering 7 hours a day)

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 16:54
Hi jayesh99modi,

Studying 50 hours a week for 1.5 months would probably be too much (and we don't want you to 'burn out' before Test Day). You have to be careful about confusing 'quantity' of study with 'quality' of study. If you wanted to study 20-25 hours a week, then that would likely be more manageable and effective, but that is ultimately up to you to decide. For this next phase of your studies, you'll need a new set of practice CATs (ones that you have NOT taken before) and a GMAT Course that will focus on the proper Verbal content and Tactics.

Given everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Verbal Score Booster to be quite helpful. Most of our clients finish that Study Plan in under a month, so it would fit your schedule perfectly. During that time, you'll also be able to access any of the Quant resources that interest you. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 18:09
Thank you very much sir. I’ll follow this right away.

Re: Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks.   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 18:09

Please HELP!! I need to improve my VERBAL. Please advice folks.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap