GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 09:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Typical Day of a UCLA MBA Student - Recording of Webinar with UCLA Adcom and Student

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Carolyn and Brett - nicely explained what is the typical day of a UCLA student. I am posting below recording of the webinar for those who could't attend this session.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

December 15, 2018

December 15, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 07:03
Hello, I feel very depressed. Yesterday was my 3rd attempt on GMAT exam and I completely failed. I need to have 690-700 score for the schools I'm applying to.

My first official GMAT score was 460, then 560 and yesterday - 540.

My last 5 prep tests I took at home were 670 (Manhattan), 620, 660, 640, 640 - official. Tests were taken under 100% test conditions (with all the relevant breaks in between, though I wasn't writing an essay during most of them).

I have been studying since February now and using all the materials available (Manhattan books, Kaplan GMAT 800, OG, gmatclub questions, etc). I have taken almost all prep exams (Manhattan, Kaplan, official, etc.) At this point I have no tests left to practice. My quant is about 42-45, my verbal is awful 31-32 (on prep tests and the highest on official test was 27)! I don't have a lot of mistakes when I solve problems on Qbanks (all timed), but in the real exam I can not perform. I can not sleep the night before the exam and get extremely nervous at least a week before it. I have no problems with time management, I use all the time I have during the exam with no rush.

I started to think that it's my nerves that prevent me from performing good on the real test. I have decided to take the next 2 weeks on analyzing the GRE. I've read on blogs that it's a better option as the exam is less stressful. I'm not a native speaker and I know that it will be tough for me to ace the Vocab part, but I don't want to give up. MBA is my biggest dream. I feel that I have strength inside to continue to study and I will do anything for it. Please help me.

Do you think I should try GRE? If I realize that GRE is even harder for me because of the verbal part, what should I do about GMAT?

Thank you very much for your time!
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests
Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 09:30
Ok so sounds like a dilemma I faced couple of hours ago. My first mock scored 560 , my second mock scored 720 and third mock which I attempted today ,I scored 590 ! Just like your score, an awful score in verbal 26!
With this unsettling anxiety I thought if I should rethink of going for GMAT and try Gre instead.
So then I decided to analyse it again , 1. Why is that I am a terrible performer at RC ? Why is my SC percentile above 90 always in every mock ! What makes my verbal so weak ?

And the answers I found were
1. For SC I have a note book with proper notes , I always maximised my accuracy and potential in SC . I gave SC a month's time for learning logics , strategies to solve the questions and I still don't fail to attempt SC questions every single day before going to bed . Result? SC pampers me back.

2. But RC , always taken up as a mundane task.Read but never comprehend . Read lot of stuff , but never comprehend again . So RC screws me and my scores everytime.
After those tears that rolled down third time from my eyes , today ,I decided no second thought about GRE or CAT . I will make sure I screw RC with right answers and make it afraid of me ! So I will give it a month's time. Yes may be I will miss my deadlines for applying to b schools but I'm not missing my life ! Because my dream is not only to do an MBA but do it from one of the top b schools.

I know you have already spent enough of your money ,but at the same time you have spent enough of your effort. If you ditch GMAT and go to a new examination altogether probably you will waste your time and effort both on something you need to start again. Rather why don't you chose fighting back ? Paying some extra money and pruning your weaknesses. Take your time. Work on it. Start living GMAT :) I know you will get through. It's not easy but it isn't impossible. :)
Hope this helps .All the best!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 10:46
Hi Speedmaster,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long did you study before each attempt at the GMAT?
2) What study materials did you use for each attempt?
3) Have you taken any of the practice CATs more than once?
4) On what dates did you take the Official GMAT? What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each attempt?

Goals:
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 18:54
Speedmaster wrote:
Hello, I feel very depressed. Yesterday was my 3rd attempt on GMAT exam and I completely failed. I need to have 690-700 score for the schools I'm applying to.

My last 5 prep tests I took at home were 670 (Manhattan), 620, 660, 640, 640 - official. Tests were taken under 100% test conditions (with all the relevant breaks in between, though I wasn't writing an essay during most of them).

I have been studying since February now and using all the materials available (Manhattan books, Kaplan GMAT 800, OG, gmatclub questions, etc). I have taken almost all prep exams (Manhattan, Kaplan, official, etc.) At this point I have no tests left to practice. My quant is about 42-45, my verbal is awful 31-32 (on prep tests and the highest on official test was 27)! I don't have a lot of mistakes when I solve problems on Qbanks (all timed), but in the real exam I can not perform. I can not sleep the night before the exam and get extremely nervous at least a week before it. I have no problems with time management, I use all the time I have during the exam with no rush.

I started to think that it's my nerves that prevent me from performing good on the real test. I have decided to take the next 2 weeks on analyzing the GRE. I've read on blogs that it's a better option as the exam is less stressful. I'm not a native speaker and I know that it will be tough for me to ace the Vocab part, but I don't want to give up. MBA is my biggest dream. I feel that I have strength inside to continue to study and I will do anything for it. Please help me.

Do you think I should try GRE? If I realize that GRE is even harder for me because of the verbal part, what should I do about GMAT?

The GMAT and the GRE are actually quite similar, and it's a good idea to take a practice GRE test to see how comfortable you are with that exam. Try to work on coping with exam pressure as well, as what you faced before your GMAT might be related to test anxiety in general.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 09:35
Speedmaster wrote:

Hi,

IMO if you have not spent much time preparing GMAT, then you can see if GRE works for you or not by trying a free mock. But if you have given enough of your life to GMAT and dreaming to B schools then stick to it with right strategies. All the other things are mentioned in above posts.

QZ

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 07:27
Hi Speedmaster,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. For starters, try to stay positive. With some more smart, dedicated prep, you can get on the path to GMAT success.

With that said, the first thing that jumps out at me is that you never broke a 660 on any official practice exams, so I am not surprised that you did not achieve your 690+ score goal on the actual GMAT.

I’d love to learn more about you and your GMAT goals. Once you respond with some more details, I’d be happy to provide tailored advice.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help? &nbs [#permalink] 06 Jul 2018, 07:27

Please HELP, low GMAT score, will a switch to GRE help?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap