GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 22:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 23:45
Hello,

I took the GMAT in March 2019 and got a score of 430 (Q25V19). Yes, pathetic. So I worked extremely hard revising my basics (details below). I took my GMAT yesterday and got a 530 (Q37, V26). Again, pathetic. Ok, technically, thats a 100 point improvement. But still!!!

Please note, I have accommodations for extended time (50% additional) and extended breaks (50% additional).

Goal: I want to go up another 100 points now.
Next GMAT: (Tentative) 1st of December 2019.
Total hours put in so far: 4 hours each study session, 5 days a week for about 3 months now.

I completed some practice GMAT's (6 Tests). The scores were

1st Test: 560 (Q39, V29)
2nd Test: 600 (Q47, V26)
3rd Test: 640 (Q46, V34)
4th Test: 500 (Q34, V25)
5th Test: 450 (Q36, V16)
6th Test: 510 (Q34, V26)

First of all I want to say, I am an extremely hardworking and dedicated person and I will put in the time and the effort needed from my end. I have an interview lined up from a top 10 school but I have been told I need a minimum GMAT score of 650 and I want that so bad. More often than not, I lose out when trying to unravel the question and applying the basic concepts. My fundamentals are quite strong. I wouldn't say it is insanely strong though.

What I am looking for: I am very particular that someone understand my thinking process through the whole set of test questions and understand what it is I am seeing in the question, how I am understanding the question, how I am analyzing the question, what comes to my mind when I read the question and of course how I tackle the question. I am pretty sure thats where you will find my flaw. A 700+ quant question is sometimes a simple geometry concept asking us the area of a rectangle but worded in a weird, complicated way with a strange looking diagram that can intimidate.

What has worked to a point for me is to tell me one standard way of tackling the question. Beyond that, I am simply stuck and to break through, which I know I am very capable of, I just need someone to figure out what the heck I am doing wrong. Quite often, I have narrowed down to the right and wrong answer and often choose the wrong answer. Why? I really am not able to make out and I am starting to get extremely annoyed with myself.

During my preparation this is how I studied:

1. What material did I follow:

Quant:

A. PrepScholar - I did not particularly like the way everything was presented.
B. TargetPrep - It has by far been the most useful digging through my basics. I did it for 3 months and went through chapter by chapter strengthening my basics. My quant score used to hover around 25, now it has jumped quite a bit thanks to them. Yet when it comes to the tougher questions, I am unable to unravel their wordy, twisty, sneaky questions and I allow gmat to beat me.
C. Kaplan - daily one of their questions comes via email and I try it out.

Verbal:

A. Magoosh - Did every single one of their 600-700+ questions. Most of them I did twice ( maybe all).
B. VeritasPrep - Most useful!! Been through every video by Brian on youtube and noted several points.
C. Kaplan - daily one of their questions comes via email and I try it out.

2. AWA and IR

No separate material. IR 4-5. Never gone higher than that. Could definitely improve! But ill be honest, I haven't focused much on it.

I skimmed through some real basics of essay writing in one of (shark tank) Shaan Patel's ACT books which got me an AWA score of 5.5/6 from my previous GMAT (where I scored a 430). So I am not too concerned about this. The next score I am yet to receive.

3. Did I complete both the sections?

Yes

I feel like I am hovering around the right answer. Why can't I just zero in on the right answer? So frustrating! There is something I am doing wrong and I want help identifying it. Please let me know what you think.

Thank you.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 20:08
Hi silverparakeet,

First off, improving from 430 to 530 is no joke, my friend. Nice job!! Also, I’m glad to see that you’ve been using TTP and, furthermore, that you've enjoyed TTP!

Regarding how to move forward, I think it would be a good idea to keep working through the TTP course. I understand that we were able to help you improve from Q25 to Q37; however, if you can keep working through the course, and complete it, in full, there is no reason why you can’t see another 10 point increase in your quant score.

Certainly, if you’d like to discuss your study plan in detail feel free to reach out to me directly.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 21:04
Hi silverparakeet,

To start, raising a 430 to a 530 is a notable achievement; score improvements on the GMAT are rarely 'linear' though, meaning that that next 120+ points will require a different type of effort from what you spent over the last 3 months. The fluctuations in the your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores imply that your note-taking and use of Tactics are inconsistent - and you might be prone to making little mistakes. Thankfully, you do NOT need to correctly answer any of the really hard/weird questions on Test Day to hit a 650+, but you do have to keep the little mistakes to a minimum.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
2) What are the exact application deadlines that you are facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern
B
Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 21:43
@ScottTarget: Thanks a lot! I will do that. I am going to give myself a few days off and then finish off whatever I did not do with target prep. For quant, I do not think I need anything else :). So Thank you! I remember reading a while ago that you were working on the verbal side. Has that been launched yet?

EMPOWERgmatRichC: Oh that would be absolutely fabulous! I will get right on it! How do I contact you to take this further?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 22:28
Hi silverparakeet,

Once you have 5 posts in the GMATClub Forums, you will be able to include attachments with your posts - so you could then either post your ESR publicly or sent it to me privately (through PM). You can also feel free to email me directly (at Rich.C@empowergmat.com).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2019, 22:28

Please help. Need to go from 530 - 650+.

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics