GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 07:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 12:16
Hi

I am really disappointed with my GMAT score of 600(Q44/V29, ESR attached) which I got in my 1st attempt yesterday. This was the new 30 min shorter version of the exam. I really did not expect such a low score after preparing intensely for almost 4 months. I am really upset and broken with my score now and I really need an expert help to guide me through this and help me get my target score on my 2nd attempt.

My target score: 700 or above.
My target school: ISB, SMU, NUS, RSM

Brief description of me:
I am an Engineering graduate (Information Technology) from an average Indian University and have 6 years of work exp. of application/software support and maintenance spread out in three different IT companies.

I started my preparation last year in June 2017 by enrolling in a GMAT coaching institute which conducted regular classroom sessions on weekends(since I only get time on weekends and had to choose weekend course) but it was not a continuous effort until October. I decided to get more serious about my preparation and set myself a target date of December end. I had already completed the OG, OG VR, and OG QR by October end and I also use to practice from Veritas Prep free question bank for the tough questions. Since I am a working professional so I get time only after work. I use to give around 3 hrs a day on weekdays and around 6hrs on weekends.

Unfortunately, due to some personal issues, I had to leave my preparation in between and I did not study anything till mid of January 2018. I started my preparation again in mid of January and started to pick up from where I had left.It was way harder than I imagined because I had lost the touch from verbal and quant topics so I started from scratch again by practicing 2hrs quant and 1hr verbal daily. I also bought the egmat verbal online course to build by verbal as my verbal was not a strong area.

My study plan from mid of Jan 18:
-Around 3 hrs a day on weekdays(including Quant and verbal both) and around 6hrs on weekends
-I use to give Gmat club quant test on weekends.
-I took a leave of 2 weeks before the exam so that I can concentrate on my exams fully without worrying about office work.

My study material:
-OG 2017, VR and QR
-egmat verbal online course and question bank
-Gmat club question bank and test
-GMAT CR Reasoning Grail 2017

My weak/strong areas
-Quant was a strong area for me as I am from an engineering background. However, I had some tough time initially with DS questions, especially with inequalities.
-Verbal was really a challenge for me from starting of my prep. I was able to get hold of RC and CR as I got used to the tough questions from these topics and later I found CR and RC interesting. I always use to struggle with SC. 2 mins was just not enough for me to apply all my knowledge of SC rules and chose one option out of 5. Even after learning all the rules and idioms I always to get stuck with 2 options and almost always chose the wrong one.

last 2 weeks before the exam, I had taken leave from office to concentrate only on my exam and also bought GMATPrep exam pack 1 and 2 both. I had a plan to give 6 official mock(2 free and 4 bought) during last 2 weeks (one in every 3 days) till my final exams.

My Mock results:
1st: 600 (Q48 V25): this was my 1st official mock, so I was a bit nervous.
2nd: 640 (Q49 V27): I was a little more confident in this one.
3rd: 660 (Q49 V30): I was improving my verbal day by day.
4th: 680 (Q50 V32):
5th: 710 (Q49 V37): This was really a confidence booster for me.
6th: 640 (Q48 V31): I am not sure what really happened in this one.

Exam day experience:
I was really nervous the night before the exam and I could not get a good night sleep but somehow I was not feeling very nervous when I arrived at the test center. My exam was scheduled for the early morning 9:00 AM and I arrived 45 mins early. After the verification formalities, I sat for the exam. I chose the order of exam as Quant-Verbal-IR-AWA.
I thought I was doing my quant part of the exam good enough to score at least 49.

I took a break after the quant part and had my snacks and went to the washroom and came back for the verbal part. I was shocked to see that I had already wasted 2 mins of my test since I was not able to keep the track of time of my break. These were very crucial 2 mins for me and I started to panic thinking that I only have 63 mins left for 36 questions. I had to rush with initial 8 to 10 questions to make up for those 2 mins. I did the RC part better that CR or SC. For the SC part, I had doubts about the few questions so I had to guess them and move forward with the exam. CR was way tougher than I had imagined. Finally verbal was done and then I gave the IR and AWA part. I was not expecting below 660 but when I saw a score of 600, I was devastated.

I really need an expert advice on how to achieve my target score. I hope to get some good inputs and tips on how to improve my weak areas. Please help me.
e-GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)
Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 14:25
I am sorry you got a 600 on the test day :/? Is this your first time taking the real test? I took my first real GMAT exam last month and scored 90 points below what I got from the full GMATPrep test I took three days prior to. It could be the nerves that got you. I would re-sign up for the test and retake it in a month or two.

You're definitely capable of scoring in the 700s. Luck alone cannot get you 680 and 710 in the practice tests you had taken it.

P.S. - Do you think the shorter test could have impacted your performance?
VP
VP
G
Re: Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 08:08
Guess you missed attaching the ESR.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 09:49
EducationAisle wrote:
Guess you missed attaching the ESR.

It's not letting me attach any file on the post. If you can provide me an email id and I email you
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 09:53
minku1016 wrote:
I am sorry you got a 600 on the test day :/? Is this your first time taking the real test? I took my first real GMAT exam last month and scored 90 points below what I got from the full GMATPrep test I took three days prior to. It could be the nerves that got you. I would re-sign up for the test and retake it in a month or two.

You're definitely capable of scoring in the 700s. Luck alone cannot get you 680 and 710 in the practice tests you had taken it.

P.S. - Do you think the shorter test could have impacted your performance?

I dont think that shorter version of the test had any impact on my score. In fact, It actually helped as now you need to concentrate for a lesser time.
Retired Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 10:36
sakiv05 wrote:
I dont think that shorter version of the test had any impact on my score. In fact, It actually helped as now you need to concentrate for a lesser time.

In new GMAT, all the experimental questions have been taken out. So every question you skip or answer wrong, has an impact on your score. I think this idea itself is scary!

440 to 730: If I Can, You Can Too

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.32
WE: Operations (Retail)

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 14:03
saswata4s wrote:
sakiv05 wrote:

In new GMAT, all the experimental questions have been taken out. So every question you skip or answer wrong, has an impact on your score. I think this idea itself is scary!

Yes, but if you think vice versa, the experimental questions you spent extra minute or two could have impacted the real questions in the previous format. According to GMAT, scoring algorithm isn't impacted so even though idea itself is scary but i don't think it has any impact other than timing/pacing...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2018, 16:53
Hi sakiv05,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600 &nbs [#permalink] 18 Apr 2018, 16:53

Please Help!! Really disappointed and upset with my score of 600

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap