It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Please Rate my AWA and help with analysis - GMAT in 2 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.4
Please Rate my AWA and help with analysis - GMAT in 2 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 00:41
The Following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:
“In order to avoid the serious health threats associated with many landfills, our municipality should build a plant for burning trash. An incinerator could offer economic as well as ecological advantages over the typical old-fashioned type of landfill: incinerators can be adapted to generated moderate amount of electricity, and ash residue from some type of trash can be used to condition garden soil.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Argument claims that instead of disposing trash as landfills, we can build the plants to burn the trash, which will be more economical, also will avoid the health threats associated with landfills. Arguments also states that incinerator can be adapted to generated electricity and ash residue from some type of trash can be used to condition garden soil, to made incinerator more economical. States this way argument gives a poor reasoning for replacing landfill with incinerators, also it missed out to considered other key factors important to evaluate the argument.

First, argument claims that landfill have serious health threats, though nowhere arguments mentions the type of health threads and how they are associated with landfills. Also, argument missed to mentioned whether all those health threats will be eliminated once we replace landfill with incinerators. So, Argument missed out to provide information this very basic Idea, on which argument of switching from landfill to using incinerator stands.

Second, though argument mentions that using incinerator will be more economical, but does not gives any information on cost of both options. No cost comparison between landfill as one option and incinerator as other is shared. So, without having a proper information on cost on disposing the trans in both option, statement that using incinerator will be more economical, is farfetched.

Finally, argument misses out to give information on how we are planning to control the air pollution, which will happen due to burning of trash, as even air pollution will have an ill effect of health of people. Also, argument mentions that residue from some type of trash can be used to condition garden soil, but fails to mention what percentage of total trash falls under this category. It is crucial to know what percentage of total generated residue can be utilised to condition the garden, and if majority of it cannot be used, the how are we planning to dispose this residue, other than the landfill.

In conclusion, as mentioned in above points, argument is flawed and is therefor unconvincing. Statement could have been made more convincing, by mentioning the cost factor related to both options, discussing the health hazard by using incinerator, giving more information percentage of trash, whose residue can be reused.

Intern
Intern
B

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 2.4
Re: Please Rate my AWA and help with analysis - GMAT in 2 days [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 03:54
Hussain15 KapTeacherEli DAVEexamPAL crackgmatg DIII Gnpth yashbabu
Can you please help me out and rate my AWA.

TIA

Re: Please Rate my AWA and help with analysis - GMAT in 2 days   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2017, 03:54

Please Rate my AWA and help with analysis - GMAT in 2 days

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap