GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2019, 14:20
Hi everyone,
It is my first AWA and I will highly appreciate your comments on this peace of writing. Many thanks:))

The following appeared as part of a promotional campaign to sell advertising space in the Daily Gazette to grocery stores in the Marston area.

Advertising the reduced price of selected grocery items in the Daily Gazette will help you increase your sales. Consider the results of a study conducted last month. Thirty sale items from a store in downtown Marston were advertised in the Gazette for four days. Each time one or more of the 30 items was purchased, clerks asked whether the shopper head read the ad. Two-thirds of the 20 shoppers asked answered in the affirmative. Furthermore, more than half the customers who answered the affirmative spent over $100 at the store.

The passage is aiming to convince the reader that the advertisement of the reduced prices on the selected groceries in the Daily Gazette will increase the sales.
The argument provides some evidence behind the conclusion. However, there are several factors that need to be addressed to convince the reader.
Firstly, the argument does not mention on what days of the week was the discount advertised in the local newspaper. Thus, the number of purchases may not be directly related to the advertisement, as usually, there are more customers doing shopping closer to the end of the week and/ or the weekend, rather than during the working days. To make the conclusion more affirmative, the article would benefit if the number of sales during specific days was compared to those on the same days of the week, when the advertisement was published in the newspaper.
Secondly, there is no information on the groceries that were advertised for sale. Thus, if these were commonly used products, it is highly probable that costumers purchased these because of to the need, rather than sale. Therefore, the conclusion would have been strengthened if during the study the surveyors asked, whether the clients purchased a particular product due to the need or because of the sale and the advertisement.
Thirdly, almost one third of all the shoppers purchased products for more than £100. This might indicate that the customers were doing weekly shopping and the products they purchased were mostly required items and only one or a few from the advertised sale. Finally, most of the people of younger generation currently use social media and the Internet as the main source of information, while older generation prefer reading daily newsletter. This would contradict to the conclusion of the argument, meaning that the research was mainly targeting specific group of people, who read this newspaper.
Overall, there are several points that make the argument not persuasive. If it included the items discussed above instead of focusing on the specific research outcome, the argument would have been more convincing.
Manager
Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Feb 2019, 00:40
To be honest, you need to put in some more effort on the AWA section. First, your essay's structure is not very appealing. Therefore, I'd advise you check chineseburned template and create a customized version for yourself. Second, you most certainly need to increase the length of the essay. In other words, you must add more words in each paragraph, resulting in an overall lengthy passage. As it stands now, your essay might not be scored very well on the actual GMAT because of the reasons I stated above. Typically, test takers do not need more than 2-3 days of time to come up with a template and then practice a few essays. You do not need to sweat it out, though.

Please provide me with kudos in case you like my post. Thank you.

Originally posted by DisciplinedPrep on 07 Feb 2019, 20:16.
Last edited by DisciplinedPrep on 08 Feb 2019, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2019, 22:01
@DesciplinedPrep, thank you for your feedback, it is highly appreciated!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2019, 22:01

Please, rate my AWA- Daily Gazette and grocery shop

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap