GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Nov 2018, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Nov. 17, 7 AM PST. Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz # 9

November 17, 2018

November 17, 2018

09:00 AM PST

11:00 AM PST

Join the Quiz Saturday November 17th, 9 AM PST. The Quiz will last approximately 2 hours. Make sure you are on time or you will be at a disadvantage.

Please rate my AWA (GMAT next week - forgot about AWA completely)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Please rate my AWA (GMAT next week - forgot about AWA completely)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 09:33
It will be awesome if anyone can give me feedback on my response. I got busy with work and spent all my time focusing on doing just the math, verbal and IR portions and thought I would get to AWA later. Just hit me that my test is next Monday and I haven't touched AWA yet :( This is my first attempt and any feedback will be appreciated!

I found this prompt online and timed myself to complete it in 30 minutes so may have some random typos/grammatical errors.

Prompt
"The computerized on-board warning system that will be installed in commercial airliners will virtually solve the problem of midair plane collisions. One plane's warning system can receive signals from another's transponder--a radio set that signals a plane's course--in order to determine the likelihood of a collision and recommend evasive action."

Discuss how well reasoned....

Response

First, the argument assumes that the new system will not interference with the working of any other system on the plane. Ideally the new system will function independently, but without any evidence of this in the argument, it is incorrect to assume that there will be no interferene. A plane has numerous other radio systems whether it is to communicate with the base tower or to communicate with various satellites that help with their navigation. There is a possibility that installing this system will do more harm than good with more planes navigating along the wrong path leading to an increase in midair collision warnings that the system provides.

Second, it is assummed that a radio signal can work under all conditions whereas in reality, radio signals can be distorted and not work well when there are poor weather conditions. Midair collisions primarily happen in poor weather conditions when planes are unable to transmit and receive information from their base tower. Sending a radio signal from one plane to the other will run into connectivity and clarity issues thus leading to midair collisions. Hence, this argument is seriously flawed in assuming that sending radio signals between two planes on a path to collision is an effective solution.

Third, the argument states that the radio set can recommend evasive action but does not mention how close to a collision this evasive action is recommended and if the action that needs to taken is dangerous for passengers traveling on the plane. This is a grave concern because there are three possibilities. First, if the evasive action is recommended when the planes are too close to each other, there is nothing that can be done to prevent their imminent crash. Second, if the evasive action requires some expert maneuvering of the plane and has the potential for loss of human life due to sudden turbulence, it is important to consider that. Third, and this builds upon the previous point, the argument seems to state that evasive action is recommended if a collision seems likely. There is no mention of what the error margin is with this system. If the evasive action can lead to injuries to passengers on the plane, it is necessary for the system to work perfectly to prevent loss of human life and that has not been considered in this argument.

In conclusion, the argument is flawed because of the above mentioned facts. Though the on-board warning system has massive potential, without further details to address the assumptions stated above, it is would be hasty to implement this new system in planes.
Director
Director
D
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please rate my AWA (GMAT next week - forgot about AWA completely)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2018, 09:36
You could ask an expert to review it. I am not an expert hence will not be able to grade your AWA. Since no one responded I thought of informing you. Just my personal opinion after going through the following link is your AWA seems to be containing the essential ingredients, i.e. no. of paras, structural words etc to take you over the line.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6 ... ml#p470475

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please rate my AWA (GMAT next week - forgot about AWA completely) &nbs [#permalink] 03 Sep 2018, 09:36

Please rate my AWA (GMAT next week - forgot about AWA completely)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap