Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink]
Can you suggest colleges that do align with my post MBA goals?
Admission Consultant
Affiliations: TheIvyLeagueEdge
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 153
TheIvyLeagueEdge: Bala
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
psl26 wrote:
Can you suggest colleges that do align with my post MBA goals?

Much before that, if I were you, I would be concerned about justifying your goal of Prod Mgt, given you are planning a switch from Software in a Start-up...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I have mapped out my reasoning for switching from development to product management. What I am confused about is what colleges will match the current profile and goals I have. Below are the colleges I have shortlisted:

Dream: Sloan, Ross, Stanford, Kellog

Reach: Haas, Tuck, LBS, Judge

Safe: Foster, Anderson, Tepper

Please advise on whether these are good fits or should I add or delete any?
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Please review my profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi, psl26,

Thank you for your post!

First, I would like to congratulate you on backing a stellar 760 in your GMAT. That's quite exceptional, so kudos on that! Coming to your GPA, it's decent! All you need to do is add a bit more about your overall statistics and give brief information about any additional courses and certifications and academic accolades, and you are good on the academic front.

Now about your Work experience, it's true that you belong to an over-represented pool of candidates, and heaving a brand name does add additional value to your profile. However, that's not all! The adcom is actually interested in how you worked above and beyond your role to make things happen! So, I would suggest prioritizing stellar leadership examples and highlighting your roles and responsibilities, critical projects, and international experience and back them up with excellence in the field. Moreover, since you want to pursue product management post-MBA, You may want to read an article on MBA in Product Management, you will get some beneficial insights about aligning your profile in accordance with the course values!

Coming to your ECAs, you need to add some relevant Community service and NGO work. Being a stand-up comedian has a lot of potential to add diversity and uniqueness. However, it would be best if you had some ECAs post-covid to showcase your sense of social justice and social service. Your ECAs can be your biggest asset if you just add a bit more about the challenges faced, initiatives taken, some stellar leadership examples, new skills developed, and a bit about the overall experience. Additionally, I would suggest making your post-MBA goal more significant in terms of school values and connecting dots with your past experiences! You may want to read an article on how to frame practical post-mba goals essays, you will get some insights!

Overall, your profile is decent with a stellar GMAT. However, you have to be more specific about your roles & responsibilities and draft stellar leadership examples. For schools, I would suggest schools like NYU, Stern, Tepper, MIT Sloan, UCLA, Anderson, and Haas School of Business. It would help if you prioritized connecting the dots between school values and your profile. If you'd like, we are happy to hop on a call with you sometime this week to discuss your profile in length and further chances to your target MBA programs; feel free to book a free session with us at your convenience.

Essay Writing tips for top 25 B-schools: Write Essays that Inspires!

Cheers!
Neha Hadke
Strategy Manager, MBA and Beyond
Testimonials
Email: neha@mbaandbeyond.com

psl26 wrote:
25M Indian Engineer Male

GMAT: 760 (49Q/45M)

Work Experience: 3 Year as a Software Engineer at an Indian start up (1 Promotion). Currently I am a tech lead.

Extra Curriculars: Active in the stand up comedy scene. Organzied and revitalized the stand up scene in my part of the city by arranging open mics. Also founded a local short film making club. But nothing recent because of COVID.

UG: 8.5/10 in Bachelor's in Engineering (Computer Science) i.e around 3.52 GPA.

Colleges I am thinking of targeting:

US: Tuck, Duke, Darden, Tepper, Ross, Johnson, Sloan, Stern

Europe: LBS, Insead, IMD, Judge, Said.

Things I am worried about:

1. My GPA does not really stand out

2. My profile being very generic

3. My ECs being very generic

4. My work experience being in the software industry

5. My work experience being from a start-up and not a well known company.

6. I have an IR score of 5 (47th Percentile).

Post MBA goals: I want to pursue a role as a product manager in a big tech companty post MBA.

Please advise on which colleges I can add to the list and what I can remove and how can I make my post MBA goals seem more appealing?
GMAT Club Bot
Please review my profile [#permalink]