Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Please review my profile [#permalink]
To be honest, it's never good to be so squarely focused on one school. Everyone should apply to a good range of them (1-2 stretches, 3-4 targets, 1-2 safeties). The admissions process is so painstakingly random (take a look at this board for some examples). Definitely go ahead and apply to Wharton if it's your dream school... but make sure you apply to a nice broad portfolio of other schools as well.

Increasing your GMAT to the 760+ range (99th percentile) would definitely put a notch under your belt. Improving it to 720-730 would probably not be very helpful. Overall, the GMAT will not be what makes or breaks you at Wharton -- it's the work experience, pedigree, extracurriculars, and overall profile.

I would recommend that you post to some of the admissions consultants threads and see what they think. You may also want to schedule a free consultation with some of them. I am no expert.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Some people may disagree but I think that if you can raise your GMAT to the 730-750 type range it would be very helpful. You have already done a lot of good work to mitigate your low gpa by building an alternate transcript and passing the CFA and CPA exams. I think if you boost that GMAT a bit you should be fine on the academic portion of your app (it won't help you but it shouldn't really hurt you). It sounds like you might have some interesting stories to tell with your NGO experience - are you still involved there? do you have leadership responsibilities? - and your counseling work. You also have interesting long term career goals and a logical short term goal that should help you get there. It ties well with your background and I think you have a good story to tell as far as your current background---->MBA----->IB------>sustainable investing. Hopefully you have some good work stories to tell - leadership, impact, etc - and you plan to work very hard on your applications putting together a compelling story. If you do all this, I see no reason that you wouldn't be competitive at the M7, outside of H/S. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your help.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I agree with what others have said. I've also heard that Wharton puts emphasis on the 80/80 split on the GMAT so, if you're from the 90/70 camp, re-taking the GMAT might be a good idea. With the CFA and CPA, no one is going to question your quant abilities.

Your profile looks good and, because the process is so random, I think it will come down to your essays/application. I think you've got good experience, etc....you just need to "tell your story" like IHTG said.

If you're not a good/creative writer....I differ from a lot of people on this board in that I would recommend you use an admissions consultant.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks, scheduled to take the GMAT's in three weeks. I've gotten perspective from current/alums from both Wharton and CBS and most have encouraged me to retake the GMAT's. Thanks again for all your help most appreciated.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
NortheasternAlum wrote:
Thanks, scheduled to take the GMAT's in three weeks. I've gotten perspective from current/alums from both Wharton and CBS and most have encouraged me to retake the GMAT's. Thanks again for all your help most appreciated.

Good luck. Just know that you don't HAVE to get a better score to get into your target schools. Just relax and go in with confidence knowing that you've already done really well.
GMAT Club Bot