GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 16:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Mar 2018, 09:49
Hello Everyone,

I am a 26-year old Indian male national looking to do a PhD from a leading US/European business school in preferably a quantitatively - inclined field. My profile for your reference:

Class X: 94.00% (ICSE)
Class XII: 96.25% (ISC), school topper; 100% in Maths.
- Among the 110 candidates in India (out of 50K) to clear ISI's B.Stat admission test.
- Ranked 9th in WBJEE (out of 100K)
- Cleared IITJEE successfully.

UG:
B.E. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering (Jadavpur University)
- GPA: 9.0/10
- GRE: 330/340 (AWA: 5.5/6.0)
- Among the top 5% of the graduating class
- Published 1 international journal (SCOPUS indexed) and 9 IEEE/Springer conf papers on bio-
inspired Machine Learning algorithms.
- Summer internships: NTU Singapore & a highly ranked tech R&D firm based in India (got a PPO)
- Got fully funded MS/PhD offers from Georgia Tech, Purdue, UPenn, Penn State, CMU .(rejected all).
- Scored 99.87% in CAT & 99.97% in XAT =× Joined IIM A PGDM.

Technical skills: C/C++, Java, MATLAB

PG:
GPA: 3.1/4 (top 30%)
Focus - Finance, Data Science & Strategy

Papers:

- Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Economic Systems [Book chapter] Econophysics and Sociophysics (Springer)

- An Unbiased Critique of the Fluid Relationship between Happiness and Advertising. (IIM C research conf)

- An eclectic demystification of Operation Barga (National Law Uni research conf)

- Towards a model National IPR policy for India (independent SSRN submission), recommended for publication by Noam Chomski.

Summer Internship: Quant Strategy at a US bulge bracket IB (final interview offer)
Final placement: With a European bulge bracket IB.

past 2 years:

- Cleared both levels of the FRM exam - awaiting certification post completion of relevant work experience.
- Quant Strategist/Analyst on the Equity Delta One trading desk of a European bulge-bracket.
- Promoted to "Associate" in the first cycle.

Skills picked up: Excel/VBA, postgreSQL, R, Bloomberg, Eikon Reuters and a whole list of trading risk management systems.

GMAT: 750 (42 VA + 49 QA), 5/6 AWA & 8/8 IR.

Could you please help me regarding how I can build my profile and the areas I should apply to in order to get into the best schools? I intend to join the Fall 2019 session.

Thanks,

Originally posted by rukuju92 on 25 Mar 2018, 06:43.
Last edited by rukuju92 on 25 Mar 2018, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 08:57
rukuju92 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am a 26-year old Indian male national looking to do a PhD from a leading US/European business school in preferably a quantitatively - inclined field. My profile for your reference:

Class X: 94.00% (ICSE)
Class XII: 96.25% (ISC), school topper; 100% in Maths.
- Among the 110 candidates in India (out of 50K) to clear ISI's B.Stat admission test.
- Ranked 9th in WBJEE (out of 100K)
- Cleared IITJEE successfully.

UG:
B.E. Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering (Jadavpur University)
- GPA: 9.0/10
- GRE: 330/340 (AWA: 5.5/6.0)
- Among the top 5% of the graduating class
- Published 1 international journal (SCOPUS indexed) and 9 IEEE/Springer conf papers on bio-
inspired Machine Learning algorithms.
- Summer internships: NTU Singapore & a highly ranked tech R&D firm based in India (got a PPO)
- Got fully funded MS/PhD offers from Georgia Tech, Purdue, UPenn, Penn State, CMU .(rejected all).
- Scored 99.87% in CAT & 99.97% in XAT =× Joined IIM A PGDM.

Technical skills: C/C++, Java, MATLAB

PG:
GPA: 3.1/4 (top 30%)
Focus - Finance, Data Science & Strategy

Papers:

- Reaction-Diffusion Equations with Applications to Economic Systems [Book chapter] Econophysics and Sociophysics (Springer)

- An Unbiased Critique of the Fluid Relationship between Happiness and Advertising. (IIM C research conf)

- An eclectic demystification of Operation Barga (National Law Uni research conf)

- Towards a model National IPR policy for India (independent SSRN submission), recommended for publication by Noam Chomski.

Summer Internship: Quant Strategy at a US bulge bracket IB (final interview offer)

past 2 years:

Final placement: Quant Strategist/Analyst on the Equity Delta One trading desk of a European bulge-bracket.
Skills picked up: Excel/VBA, postgreSQL & R.

GMAT: 750 (42 VA + 49 QA), 5/6 AWA & 8/8 IR.

Could you please help me regarding how I can build my profile and the areas I should apply to in order to get into the best schools? I intend to join the Fall 2019 session.

Thanks,
Srinjoy

Hi Srinjoy,

You have awesome profile.

May I ask you why you rejected fully funded offers from Georgia Tech, Purdue, UPenn, Penn State, CMU ?

Those are great schools indeed, some of them are top.

Do you only want to go to M7 but for PhD in Business ? Who are your top 5 choices ?

Your kudos are much appreciated

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 09:53
Thank you very much for your kind words. I rejected those offers because I wanted to pursue a business degree hoping to gain a 360 degree view of how business is done. Furthermore, I wasn't 100% sold on academia back then - which I am now after having worked for 2 years.

Yes, I would like to go to M7 for a PhD in Business. Could you please suggest the tracks/concentrations where I would have a fairly strong chance of making it through? Thanks!

Dream 5:

1) Harvard
2) Chicago Booth
3) LBS
4) Wharton
5) NYU Stern
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
P
Concentration: Finance
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2018, 10:24
rukuju92 wrote:
Thank you very much for your kind words. I rejected those offers because I wanted to pursue a business degree hoping to gain a 360 degree view of how business is done. Furthermore, I wasn't 100% sold on academia back then - which I am now after having worked for 2 years.

Yes, I would like to go to M7 for a PhD in Business. Could you please suggest the tracks/concentrations where I would have a fairly strong chance of making it through? Thanks!

Dream 5:

1) Harvard
2) Chicago Booth
3) LBS
4) Wharton
5) NYU Stern

Awesome schools. Top of the tops.

I though Wharton is UPenn :) ?

I would ask different question.

It is not question where you would get the most chances, it is question where you want to be ? What kind of research you want to do ?

Do you want to devote 5 years of your life to something that you are not genuinely interested for ?

It is ok to not know at this stage definitely what do you want to research. But ask yourself those questions.

In Finance it is the most hard to get in, they receive by far the most applications of all business concentrations, often as all others combined, so if you want to play safe you would avoid that.

But again, the real question for me is what you are really interested for ? What do you enjoy ? Where do you excel with ease ?

Your kudos are much appreciated

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019) &nbs [#permalink] 25 Mar 2018, 10:24

Please review my profile for PhD in business (Fall 2019)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: carcass, billionaire

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap