Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1466 [13]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618680 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.66
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereb [#permalink]
Kudos
Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereby a negative incentive for technological innovation, and all nations in which technological innovation is hampered inevitably fall behind in the international arms race. Those nations that, through historical accident or the foolishness of their political leadership, wind up in a strategically disadvantageous position are destined to lose their voice in the world affairs. So if a nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life, it must not allow its highest tax bracket to exceed 30 percent of income.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the politician’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) The top level of taxation must reach 45 percent before taxation begins to deter inventors and industrialists from introducing new technologies and industries.
This point weakens the argument as if the statement is true then the argument is weakend on its 30% claim.

(B) Making a great deal of money is an insignificant factor in driving technological innovation.
weakens teh argument which suggest that tax is direclty relative to the technological advancement,

(C) Falling behind in the international arms race does not necessarily lead to a strategically less advantageous position.
Although this is a blunt statement but we considera ll the choices to betrue as they are,it weakens the argument,as the arument suggest that the arms race leads to strategicall advancement.

(D) Those nations that lose influence in the world community do not necessarily suffer from a threat to their value system or way of life.
weakens one the way of life point of the argument.

(E) Allowing one’s country to lose its technological edge, especially as concerns weaponry, would be foolish rather than merely a historical accident.

Does not weaken or have any impact on the argument. Thus is the correct choice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 896
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereb [#permalink]
I do understand that E is the best answer. Here but I need help in proving C does weaken here.
My thought process is that, falling behind in arms race IS a strategically disadvantageous position and as in the option C it does not lead to that the position. So how does that weaken the conclusion ? I know I am messing up the reasoning here, but I can't figure a way out.
Experts please help ! GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereb [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
vikasp99 wrote:
Politician: All nations that place a high tax on income produce thereby a negative incentive for technological innovation, and all nations in which technological innovation is hampered inevitably fall behind in the international arms race. Those nations that, through historical accident or the foolishness of their political leadership, wind up in a strategically disadvantageous position are destined to lose their voice in the world affairs. So if a nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life, it must not allow its highest tax bracket to exceed 30 percent of income.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the politician’s argument EXCEPT:

(A) The top level of taxation must reach 45 percent before taxation begins to deter inventors and industrialists from introducing new technologies and industries.

(B) Making a great deal of money is an insignificant factor in driving technological innovation.

(C) Falling behind in the international arms race does not necessarily lead to a strategically less advantageous position.

(D) Those nations that lose influence in the world community do not necessarily suffer from a threat to their value system or way of life.

(E) Allowing one’s country to lose its technological edge, especially as concerns weaponry, would be foolish rather than merely a historical accident.

Look at how we have arrived at the conclusion - look at the link between 'high tax' and 'value system and way of life'.

High tax hampers tech innovation.
Hampered tech innovation means falling behind in arms race.
Those in strategically disadvantageous position (presumably those behind in arms race) lose their voice in the world affairs.

Conclusion: If a nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life (presumably by retaining value in world affairs), it must not allow its highest tax bracket to exceed 30 percent of income.

It brings the figure of 30% into question.

This weakens "High tax hampers tech innovation".

This weakens the relation between "Falling behind in the international arms race" and "strategically less advantageous position"

This weakens the relation between "lose voice in the world community" and "suffer from a threat to their value system or way of life"

Losing tech edge would be foolish. This is irrelevant to the argument.

Answer (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you, VeritasKarishma, for making it clear.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Gokul20 wrote:
I do understand that E is the best answer. Here but I need help in proving C does weaken here.
My thought process is that, falling behind in arms race IS a strategically disadvantageous position and as in the option C it does not lead to that the position. So how does that weaken the conclusion ? I know I am messing up the reasoning here, but I can't figure a way out.
Experts please help ! GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

Hi Gokul

Let me attempt to answer your question here. As per the stimulus:

i) High tax on income (X) --> negative incentive for technological innovation (Y) --> fall behind in the international arms race (Z).

Separately

ii) Strategically disadvantageous position (P) --> lose voice in the world affairs (Q).

Based on the above two causal relations, the conclusion drawn is that "if a nation wants to maintain its value system and way of life, it must not allow its highest tax bracket to exceed 30 percent of income".

Option (C) says: Falling behind in the international arms race -X-> strategically less advantageous position. This breaks the connection between (i) and (ii) above (since it disconnects Z and P), and thus breaks the connection between X and Q (which can only be connected through Z and P). This can now be interpreted as:

High tax on income -X-> lose voice in the world affairs. This clearly weakens the conclusion.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts