Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [28]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [7]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 283 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: In all, the new algorithm sorts.... [#permalink]
Nicely done..pqhai and ankur..+1 to both
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Send PM
Re: In all, the new algorithm sorts.... [#permalink]
anish123ster wrote:
Nicely done..pqhai and ankur..+1 to both

Thanks anish123ster. You deserve a kudo for a GOOD question too :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [1]
Send PM
Re: the new algorithm sorts through thousands [#permalink]
Bookmarks
IMO, E is correct, not C.

A)the skills that are listed on a person’s resume; and the school a person attended and in what major, as well as that school’s ranking in U.S. News and World Report.
Wrong. Not parallel.

B)the skills that are listed on a person’s resume; the school a person attended; and the major of that person, as well as that school’s ranking in U.S. News and World Report.
Wrong. Not parallel.

C)what skills are listed on a person’s resume; what school a person attended; and what major, as well as that school’s ranking in U.S. News and World Report.
Wrong. Not parallel structure because the last part "and what major........" is a noun phrase, not a clause. In addition, "the major" should be the one that a person attended, not the major of the school.

D)what skills are listed on a person’s resume; and what school a person attended, as well as the major and ranking of that school in U.S. News and World Report.
Wrong.
- The usage of "as well as": the clause before "as well as" is not parallel with the noun phrase after "as well as". The two portions should be parallel, e.g. noun as well as noun, clause as well as clause
- Change meaning: the intended meaning is the major that a person attend, not the major of the school. But D changes the meaning to "the major of the school".
- "The ranking" is more clear than "ranking"

E)what skills are listed on a person’s resume; and what school a person attended and in what major, as well as the ranking of that school in U.S. News and World Report.
Correct. Good parallel structure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 704 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
Re: In all, the new algorithm sorts through thousands of bits of [#permalink]
I read somewhere, all the sentences separated by semi colon should be independent sentences. in this question, all the sentences have at least one part after a semi colon that starts with "and". Is this correct. Can someone please put a light on it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Re: In all, the new algorithm sorts through thousands of bits of [#permalink]
I have a doubt on this one - two independent clauses are joined by a semi-colon or by "comma + and" , is it correct to join 2 independent clauses using ";" and a co-ordinating conjunction such as "änd". Experts please help !
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In all, the new algorithm sorts through thousands of bits of [#permalink]
Kudos