Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: 3 Ways Global Institute Helps You Prepare for the MBA Experience
Global Institute, or GI as it is affectionately known among students, occurs in early August. It’s a three-week block of coursework, teamwork, career, and leadership development that kicks off and helps you prepare for the MBA experience at Fuqua.

Some other MBA program start later, and to be completely honest, while I was excited for the experience of meeting my classmates, I loathed the thought of compromising my ambitious summer plans. Now, having participated in this incredible GI experience, I couldn’t imagine the beginning of my MBA any other way.

1. A Preview of What Lies Ahead

Orientation was our official welcome to Fuqua
One of the reasons that GI is such a powerful experience is the manner in which you are eased into the academic workload you will face later in Fall Term 1. No matter how many times your second-year peers tell you to “just wait for it” because “fall is way harder,” you will probably be like everyone else and shrug off this warning as nonsensical. The reality is that GI, when you are introduced to and immersed in the myriad of events, career training and academics, can seem itself overwhelming.

2. Forging Your Teams
The second benefit stems from the first, because while you are preparing yourself for the terms that lie ahead, you are also in the midst of preparing your team of peers. After all, the Fuqua experience centers on your Consequential Leadership teams. These C-Lead teams are the foundational element of the Team Fuqua culture, and are unlike any work or study team you’ve been a part of before. GI is the perfect time to get to know your team in preparation for the fall when these classmates will critical to your success.

Now that I’ve ran the crucible of GI, I can tell you that the assignments are easy pitches to hit. By design, Global Institute is a great place to refine your team’s own processes for accomplishing assignments. Some of the best teams I know forged their best practices in the midst of GI; those that were less fortunate now find themselves in the throng of Fall Term 1 coursework scrambling to refine their processes in the face of mounting academic and professional pressures.

My C-Lead team and another were paired during team building activities on Team Challenge Day
3. Learning from Diverse Peers
From my perspective, best part of GI is the chance to meet and learn from your peers. Fall Term 1 coursework centers on the quantitative skills you will need to succeed in both interviews that following spring, and also the internship that hopefully follows in the summer. They are, by that nature, not the best places to learn a great deal about your peers’ incredible cultural perspectives on global issues of note. However, prior to that in GI, you get that chance in spades.

You learn about global issues in and amongst the most brilliant minds of our generation, each hailing from a unique culture and background. You get to hear multiple sides of our generation’s greatest challenges. In GI, you get to experience exactly why I picked Fuqua: Diversity!

My Section 4 classmates
It’s All About Setting Students Up for Success
For those three reasons, I can say that my own MBA experience would be less worthwhile if I had merely been thrown in with my classmates in the midst of all that Fall Term I entails. GI gives individuals and teams the opportunity to truly grow into high-functioning units. It also gives classmates the chance to really learn about one another under the auspices of rigorous academic study. During GI you can forge friendships, explore the local area, volunteer to help a cause, develop your leadership skills, learn about new and exciting cultures, and figure out how you will manage the rigorous academic workload to come, both as individuals and as teams.

Sure, we sacrificed a bit of our summer and ended vacations earlier than other schools. But, in doing so we set ourselves up for success. We made friends and memories. We learned and laughed. In the end, everyone I know wouldn’t have had it any other way.

The post 3 Ways Global Institute Helps You Prepare for the MBA Experience appeared first on Duke MBA Student Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
saugagmatter wrote:
samkhat77 wrote:
sdurugu wrote:
Also, from what I heard during my visit to Duke campus, it looks like the volume of applications for Early action increased this year compared to the previous years!!

Heard the same thing. Not sure what to make of it. There will probably be a lot more WLs this year from that group.

Did they happen to say how much the EA applicants increased by? Any idea?

No idea. It looks like the number is a lot higher than any of the previous years for the EA round though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
Do our recommendations also need to be in by the deadline or they can be submitted at a later date?

My recommender submitted the reco after the deadline and I informed the Adcom office about it. There are no issues with that. I don't know what the window is but looks like 2-3 days won't hurt. Perhaps a week is ok I guess. As long as you get in all the application material from your end by the deadline, you should be good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
saugagmatter wrote:
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
How is it going guys? Any EA applicants have nerves left? 11 days to decision. How many people are feeling hopeful?

I think this time EA is going to be super-competitive. Fuqua is just growing in reputation every year, and the BW rankings have helped its cause. A lot of people are making Fuqua their first choice, leaving us lesser mortals fewer places to compete in.

I guess we will know on 26th.

In the meanwhile, anyone applying later in the cycle, please reach out with doubts about the application/school. I think all us EA guys have done a lot of research, and I would be happy to share some insights, if I can. :)

super super nervous for EA as well, 11 more days left

I know! Will be a tough few days. Good thing I am going on a vacation, at least I will have some solace for 5-6 days!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I applied Duke EA but was not sent an interview invite. I know the adcom says that people can be interviewed later, but has it realistically happened before? My doubt originates because I am inclined to believe they are just going to reject - I don't see any reason to waitlist people from EA because the school controls all parameters in EA like scholarship etc. and if they want a candidate they would rather have him/her in EA than subsequent rounds. Ofcourse - unless they are never able to fill their class till later rounds which I believe is never going to be the case with Fuqua.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
adityapuri wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Quick question - I applied Duke EA but was not sent an interview invite. I know the adcom says that people can be interviewed later, but has it realistically happened before? My doubt originates because I am inclined to believe they are just going to reject - I don't see any reason to waitlist people from EA because the school controls all parameters in EA like scholarship etc. and if they want a candidate they would rather have him/her in EA than subsequent rounds. Ofcourse - unless they are never able to fill their class till later rounds which I believe is never going to be the case with Fuqua.

I am in same boat as you. Actually, applicant pool varies from round to round and its possible that our application supersedes one's from upcoming rounds and we get a invite. But, I am not hoping for much now, a school like Fuqua will have loads of applications in each and every round and with exceptional candidates as well. If at all, a invite comes around, I'll be surprised.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
jugglerG2 wrote:
adityapuri wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am in same boat as you. Actually, applicant pool varies from round to round and its possible that our application supersedes one's from upcoming rounds and we get a invite. But, I am not hoping for much now, a school like Fuqua will have loads of applications in each and every round and with exceptional candidates as well. If at all, a invite comes around, I'll be surprised.

Like someone said above, the applications to Fuqua are only increasing YoY. Even a very strong profile in a competitive pool (Read Indian IT Male :P) might get sidelined. Having said that, wait for 26th to find out if it a reject/waitlist. But yes, I think for schools like Tuck/Fuqua etc. converting from Waitlist to invite could be difficult. Have other choices open, which I am sure you are doing.
Manager
Manager
Status:Birds fly because they have wings, not because they have sky.
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
anupamgupta2112 wrote:
jugglerG2 wrote:
adityapuri wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Like someone said above, the applications to Fuqua are only increasing YoY. Even a very strong profile in a competitive pool (Read Indian IT Male :P) might get sidelined. Having said that, wait for 26th to find out if it a reject/waitlist. But yes, I think for schools like Tuck/Fuqua etc. converting from Waitlist to invite could be difficult. Have other choices open, which I am sure you are doing.

Spot on anupamgupta2112.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Any interview invites of round 1 yet? In the basics stat of school, I see a few scheduled for interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
tavishsrivastava wrote:
Any interview invites of round 1 yet? In the basics stat of school, I see a few scheduled for interview.

No, those are probably from the open interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For EA folks on the SIS portal, what headers do you see on the top?
Home, Need Help, Worklist and SignOut.

I don't think I had worklist prior to logging in today. Do other folks see it as well?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 650 Q40 V39
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
saugagmatter wrote:

I don't think I had worklist prior to logging in today. Do other folks see it as well?

Thanks

I see it as well. No idea if it was there previously. Nothing in mine for worklist items.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dbrown wrote:
saugagmatter wrote:

Thanks

I see it as well. No idea if it was there previously. Nothing in mine for worklist items.

Same here no times in the worklist section
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
saugagmatter wrote:
dbrown wrote:
saugagmatter wrote:

Thanks

Same here no times in the worklist section

I can see it as part of the menu, but no further details in there. I think they said because of the volume of applications, it might take a while for some updates to show.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Ah, the crazy pre-week admissions jitters. Nobody ask if anyone DIDN'T get that new tab. Who knows what the system does, what it means, and why. I suggest two fingers of Larceny bourbon and an episode of Shark Tank. Good luck, see how it goes in a week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1136 [1]
Given Kudos: 420
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
Even I see quite a blank page there. Don't remember seeing it before. Perhaps this is a common enhancement for all.
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
The methodology to develop the ranking has changed and so has Duke Fuqua' rank - still in top 10 though

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015- ... s-schools/
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  46   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts