Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Sloan MIT School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT LGO Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Mihir,

Glad you're thinking of applying to LGO! My name is Lilly Cao and I am an LGO '17. I'll try my best to answer your questions. There is some very helpful info on the website so I highly recommend starting from there.

1. Is MIT LGO open for International students or is it specifically for candidates with US citizenship/PR status/with US work permit.
The program accepts international students without US citizenship/PR status/ US work permit. I am one of the 10 of my class.

2. Is it that international candidates with a PR/US wrk permit are preferred over other international students
I don't think that LGO students or alumni can answer since we are not involved in the admission process. I believe there may be certain partner companies that have hiring restrictions for international students, but I can't say if that has a impact in admission.

3. What is the % of International students in a typical LGO class, is there anyone from India
https://lgo.mit.edu/student-life/class-profile/
Each class is different so difficult to define "typical". We have LGOs originally from India in our class.

4. With close to 10 years of work experience, do I fit into the work ex. bracket of a LGO class.
https://lgo.mit.edu/student-life/class-profile/
The average is 5. 10 years is on the high end.

5. A follow up question, I will turn 34 by the time I matriculate into LGO class, How would be my fit w.r.t age among my peers.
That will also be on the high end of the range.

6. What % of students in LGO class who are married ?
I have not computed this stat exactly, but maybe half? Several also have children.

7. I have read that MIT may refuse admits to students already who already hold an MBA degree. I hold a Post Graduate Executive Management Program(PGEMP) (21 months modular completed while working), is PGEMP equivalent to MBA ?, what are my chances given this case, am I eligible for applying or is it a straight forward reject.
Since yours is an uncommon case, I would direct this question specifically to the office as they can best answer about admissions on a individual case. I would also consider if it's there are similarities between PGEMP and MBA, what you hope to gain that was not offered in the PGEMP, since an MBA (and LGO) are a considerable investment.

8. Since LGO is a dual degree program (MS + MBA), therefore, does it qualifies for 12 months OPT
It qualifies as one of the STEM degrees that grant OPT extension.

Finance Related Queries:

1. Some inputs on Average Program Cost : The website says MIT LGO grants $40,000 to $70,000 as financial aid to each incoming student. What is average financial aid awarded to the incoming candidate.
Not sure. I would also direct that question to the LGO office.

2. Estimate of any other mandatory study related expenses
https://lgo.mit.edu/apply/costs-financial-aid/#costs

3. Is the 6 months internship at partner company paid ? this may help offset some cost
There is a subsidy for housing and relocation, but I would not plan on offsetting costs through the internship.

4. Any possibility of getting TA/ part time work to offset some of the expenses.

Yes, TAships are possible.

5. Average cost of living for a family (self & Spouse). Does MIT assist LGO student with partners to get housing within MIT campus ?
There is a lottery for MIT family housing. I'm afraid I can't help on the cost of living for a family. If this is a burning concern, just make sure to mention it when contacting the LGO office. They may be able to put you in touch with students with similar backgrounds.

Hope this helps!

MihirRR26 wrote:
Hi,

I am starting this thread to gear us for the forthcoming MIT LGO application for the class of 2019...may be bit early! :)

To begin with, I would like seek expert advice from MIT LGO students and alumni to help me in chalking my road map.

Admission Related Queries:

1. Is MIT LGO open for International students or is it specifically for candidates with US citizenship/PR status/with US work permit.

2. Is it that international candidates with a PR/US wrk permit are preferred over other international students

3. What is the % of International students in a typical LGO class, is there anyone from India

4. With close to 10 years of work experience, do I fit into the work ex. bracket of a LGO class.

5. A follow up question, I will turn 34 by the time I matriculate into LGO class, How would be my fit w.r.t age among my peers.

6. What % of students in LGO class who are married ?

7. I have read that MIT may refuse admits to students already who already hold an MBA degree. I hold a Post Graduate Executive Management Program(PGEMP) (21 months modular completed while working), is PGEMP equivalent to MBA ?, what are my chances given this case, am I eligible for applying or is it a straight forward reject.

8. Since LGO is a dual degree program (MS + MBA), therefore, does it qualifies for 12 months OPT

Finance Related Queries:

1. Some inputs on Average Program Cost : The website says MIT LGO grants $40,000 to $70,000 as financial aid to each incoming student. What is average financial aid awarded to the incoming candidate.

2. Estimate of any other mandatory study related expenses

3. Is the 6 months internship at partner company paid ? this may help offset some cost

4. Any possibility of getting TA/ part time work to offset some of the expenses.

5. Average cost of living for a family (self & Spouse). Does MIT assist LGO student with partners to get housing within MIT campus ?

Your response to this post is highly appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Regards,

Mihir R.
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi Narenn,

Thanks making it official discussion thread for the LGO Class of 2019 applicants.

Rgds,
Send PM
Hi Lilly Cao,

Thanks a ton! for answering my questions. It has really helped me understanding LGO better.

Going by your answers, since my Work Ex and age both are on the higher side. Do you still advice me to apply for LGO or should i look out for something where I can be natural fit.

Rgds,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Hi Mihir,

I don't think age and work experience by themselves should be deterrents of applying to LGO. In fact, all applicants to LGO are required to have work experience, unlike other general MBA programs.

The decision of whether to apply depends ultimately on what you are hoping to gain from the program. From my perspective, LGO excels in combining business with operations, allows a unique connection with partner companies, and gives an opportunity to become close friends with individuals with similar technical backgrounds and interest.

MihirRR26 wrote:
Hi Lilly Cao,

Thanks a ton! for answering my questions. It has really helped me understanding LGO better.

Going by your answers, since my Work Ex and age both are on the higher side. Do you still advice me to apply for LGO or should i look out for something where I can be natural fit.

Rgds,
Send PM
Hi Lilly Cao,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have strong passion towards Technology and Operations, that's why LGO is my first and foremost choice. I would support this by undergraduate degree engineering and my work ex which revolves around developing Product & Technology. However, I had only two reservations that were bothering me

1. My age and work ex. are falling on higher side

2. I hold a Post Graduate Executive Management Program(PGEMP) certificate. In case PGEMP is considered equivalent to MBA, MIT may refuse me a admit since LGO may fall in 2nd MBA category

With your advice, I am quite clear on 1 and it is no more a concern now. I would request if you can help me with finding an answer for 2, that would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Hi Mihir,

As I mentioned previously, the LGO office may be able to help you with questions on your specific degree. As a student, I have limited knowledge on the admission requirements beyond what is communicated on the website.

You can find the contact info on the website.

MihirRR26 wrote:
Hi Lilly Cao,

Thank you for the feedback.

I have strong passion towards Technology and Operations, that's why LGO is my first and foremost choice. I would support this by undergraduate degree engineering and my work ex which revolves around developing Product & Technology. However, I had only two reservations that were bothering me

1. My age and work ex. are falling on higher side

2. I hold a Post Graduate Executive Management Program(PGEMP) certificate. In case PGEMP is considered equivalent to MBA, MIT may refuse me a admit since LGO may fall in 2nd MBA category

With your advice, I am quite clear on 1 and it is no more a concern now. I would request if you can help me with finding an answer for 2, that would be a great help.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds,
Send PM
Thanks Lilly Cao,

I will write about this specific question to LGO Adcom to know their views.

Can you help me with one more thing, I could not locate the Engineering Systems track on the LGO website. Can you share some information on the same.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Hi guys, I have a theoretical question to ask. Has MIT LGO accept liberal arts (humanities/social science) applicants/students with strong tech backgrounds and/or high GMAT scores? Do they make exceptions? Thanks.
Send PM
Hey Guys!!

An all new LGO website with detailed information grouped appropriately. This new website will address most of your questions.

Here is the link : https://lgo.mit.edu/

Cheers!!
Send PM
Hi ChristinaFBrown,

The data on the website indicates that past students were from the study backgrounds such as Aeronautics/Astronautics, Chemical Eng., Civil Eng., Electrical and Computer Eng., Industrial Eng., Mechanical Eng., Natural Sciences, Other Eng. and Systems Eng.

Further the industries represented were Aeronautics/Airplanes, Automotive, Biotech, Chemicals, Computers/Semiconductors, Consulting, Consumer Goods, Defense & Space, Energy & Oil, Heavy Machinery and Other

Nonetheless, I suggest you should ask this specific question to LGO Adcom. They would be in a better position to answer this.

Rgds,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
MihirRR26 wrote:
Thanks Lilly Cao,

I will write about this specific question to LGO Adcom to know their views.

Can you help me with one more thing, I could not locate the Engineering Systems track on the LGO website. Can you share some information on the same.

Hi Mihir,

Happy to hear that you are interested in the MIT LGO program. The Engineering Systems track (ESD) was consolidated last year into the Civil Engineering (CEE) department. If you would like to apply for Supply Chain Management, you would go through the CEE department. I suggest you reach out to the AdCom (lgo@mit.edu) or further queries. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
ChristinaFBrown wrote:
Hi guys, I have a theoretical question to ask. Has MIT LGO accept liberal arts (humanities/social science) applicants/students with strong tech backgrounds and/or high GMAT scores? Do they make exceptions? Thanks.

Hi Christina,

You may view the LGO Class of 2018 profile here: https://lgo.mit.edu/student-life/class-profile/

I'm not in the best position to answer this, so it would be best to direct your question to lgo@mit.edu. On another note, a STEM background would be highly recommended, given the rigor of the engineering coursework, a lot of which require pre-requisite courses. For example, Mechanical Engineering requires that you have have taken Thermodynamics and Fluid Dynamics in the past, while several of its courses require coursework in differential calculus and more. I would probably have a difficult time doing my assignments today, if I did not have an engineering background.

We also have students who were not from an engineering background but still came from a highly technical field (i.e. computer science, neuroscience, astrophysics).

Hope this helps!
School Moderator - Stanford MSx
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.77
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Is any one out there applying for MIT LGO in Civil & Envt. Engineering, Energy Program?
I am interested in Sustainable Energy field & applying for CEE (Energy & Envt) in R2...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have a bit different type of question. According to LGO Website, applications made through School of Engineering will be considered for MS, if LGO application is rejected. Also if applying to LGO, through an engineering department, separate application for MS to the same department is not permitted.

I was wondering about the chances of getting admitted to the masters program in an engineering department between the following scenarios.

1. Applying to a Masters program with an engineering department only.

2. Applying to the LGO through the engineering department and then considered for Masters program after being rejected for LGO program.

It would be very helpful if somebody can give some insights on this
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Is anybody going to LGO preview day?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
LGO Preview Day was amazing! Thank you to all the LGO's for their time! :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GRE 1: Q170 V163
Send PM
Hi everyone!

I am just getting started with my application & I am a bit confused. I was expecting to see 4 Essay questions as part of the application, but I only see 1 mandatory question and 2 optional questions. (I am not counting the cover letter)

Was this the way it was last year too? Or did something change this year?

Thanks!
DrowningDolphin
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  34   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts