Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [91]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [48]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [42]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Re: It was once assumed that all living things could be divided into two [#permalink]
\sqrt{}1. The passage is primarily concerned with

A) detailing the evidence that has led most biologists to replace the trichotomous picture of living organisms with a dichotomous one
B) outlining the factors that have contributed to the current hypothesis concerning the number of basic categories of living organisms
C) evaluating experiments that have resulted in proof that the prokaryotes are more ancient than had been expected
D) summarizing the differences in structure and function found among true bacteria, archaebacteria, and eukaryotes
E) formulating a hypothesis about the mechanisms of evolution that resulted in the ancestors of the prokaryotes

abhijit_sen: I do not agree with the reason why you discard option C.

"Wrong. Passage suggest Archebachetria are older than prokaryotes (true bacteria)."

The passage states "the archaebacteria, which are also prokaryotes…”. Instead, I would rather discard it because the option says that "experiments that have resulted in proof that...", while the text states that "These techniques have strongly suggested that...".
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: It was once assumed that all living things could be divided into two [#permalink]
Expert Reply
EBITDA wrote:
OA is B.

I can find a reason to discard the remaining options. However, I do not see how does the passage "outline the factors that have contributed to the current hypothesis...".

Initially in the passage, author talks about only the two stems of the tree of life. It says there has been some similarities found at the molecular level but inspite of that they are more or less categorized as two stems only.

2nd paragraph initially talks about the similar division but then it provides the exception to this division and provided several techniques that have proved the existence of the third division. hence, here I believe by factors, author mean the various techniques that have contributed to make us believe that there are actually three divisions.

Can you please add the other questions of this passage as well?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
gmatcrook wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 10th Edition, 2003

Practice Question
Question No.: RC 183 ~ 189
Page: 378

It was once assumed that all living things could be divided into two fundamental and exhaustive categories. Multicellular plants and animals, as well as many unicellular organisms, are eukaryotic—their large, complex cells have a well-formed nucleus and many organelles. On the other hand, the true bacteria are prokaryotic cell, which are simple and lack a nucleus. The distinction between eukaryotes and bacteria, initially defined in terms of subcellular structures visible with a microscope, was ultimately carried to the molecular level. Here prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells have many features in common. For instance, they translate genetic information into proteins according to the same type of genetic coding. But even where the molecular processes are the same, the details in the two forms are different and characteristic of the respective forms. For example, the amino acid sequences of various enzymes tend to be typically prokaryotic or eukaryotic. The differences between the groups and the similarities within each group made it seem certain to most biologists that the tree of life had only two stems. Moreover, arguments pointing out the extent of both structural and functional differences between eukaryotes and true bacteria convinced many biologists that the precursors of the eukaryotes must have diverged from the common ancestor before the bacteria arose.

Although much of this picture has been sustained by more recent research, it seems fundamentally wrong in one respect. Among the bacteria, there are organisms that are significantly different both from the cells of eukaryotes and from the true bacteria, and it now appears that there are three stems in the tree of life. New techniques for determining the molecular sequence of the RNA of organisms have produced evolutionary information about the degree to which organisms are related, the time since they diverged from a common ancestor, and the reconstruction of ancestral versions of genes. These techniques have strongly suggested that although the true bacteria indeed form a large coherent group, certain other bacteria, the archaebacteria, which are also prokaryotes and which resemble true bacteria, represent a distinct evolutionary branch that far antedates the common ancestor of all true bacteria.
4. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following have recently been compared in order to clarify the fundamental classifications of living things?

(A) The genetic coding in true bacteria and that in other prokaryotes
(B) The organelle structures of archaebacteria, true bacteria, and eukaryotes
(C) The cellular structures of multicellular organisms and unicellular organisms
(D) The molecular sequences in eukaryotic RNA, true bacterial RNA, and archaebacterial RNA
(E) The amino acid sequences in enzymes of various eukaryotic species and those of enzymes in archaebacterial species

"New techniques for determining the molecular sequence of the RNA of organisms have produced evolutionary information about the degree to which organisms are related, the time since they diverged from a common ancestor, and the reconstruction of ancestral versions of genes."

Answer = D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 239 [1]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
I did the 4th question wrong. Please explain why (A) is wrong and (D) correct. The information regarding this question is present in the last few lines of the passage. There has been mention of true bacteria and the new type of bacteria, but there hasn't been any discussion of eukaryotes. Also the method discussed involves "reconstruction of genes". This made me choose (A) over (D), even when D has the keyword "RNA" in it, the passage hasn't mentioned eukaryotes in the lines describing the comparison. Please help. Am I making a strategic mistake? Is my approach wrong here? Please help
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
4. It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following have recently been compared in order to clarify the fundamental classifications of living things?

(A) The genetic coding in true bacteria and that in other prokaryotes
(B) The organelle structures of archaebacteria, true bacteria, and eukaryotes
(C) The cellular structures of multicellular organisms and unicellular organisms
(D) The molecular sequences in eukaryotic RNA, true bacterial RNA, and archaebacterial RNA
(E) The amino acid sequences in enzymes of various eukaryotic species and those of enzymes in archaebacterial species

ShashankDave wrote:
I did the 4th question wrong. Please explain why (A) is wrong and (D) correct. The information regarding this question is present in the last few lines of the passage. There has been mention of true bacteria and the new type of bacteria, but there hasn't been any discussion of eukaryotes. Also the method discussed involves "reconstruction of genes". This made me choose (A) over (D), even when D has the keyword "RNA" in it, the passage hasn't mentioned eukaryotes in the lines describing the comparison. Please help. Am I making a strategic mistake? Is my approach wrong here? Please help

The recent research is discussed in the second paragraph. This research has suggested that "among the bacteria, there are organisms that are significantly different both from the cells of eukaryotes and from the true bacteria, and it now appears that there are three stems in the tree of life." This portion suggests that the recent research compared eukaryotes, true bacteria, and a third type of life (which is later identified as archaebacteria).

We are then told that "new techniques for determining the molecular sequence of the RNA of organisms have produced evolutionary information about..." So we are first told that recent research has led to a distinction between three types of life. We are then told that this recent research involved examining the molecular sequences of organisms' RNA. Thus, we can INFER that the recent research involved comparing the "molecular sequences in eukaryotic RNA, true bacterial RNA, and archaebacterial RNA" - choice (D).

As for choice (A), we are told in the first paragraph that "{at the molecular level} prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells have many features in common. For instance, they translate genetic information into proteins according to the same type of genetic coding". So if we were to compare the genetic coding of the prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells, we would find similarities, not differences. Unlike the recent research, comparing the genetic coding would NOT suggest that we need to further divide up the tree of life. Thus, choice (A) likely does not apply to the recent research.

So (D) is the best answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja
Would you be able to help me with couple of my queries please?

Firstly, a generic question.
To answer specific question, should I read the 5 choices first? or should I read the relevant part on the passage first and then read A to E?

Now, a specific question about this passage.

5. If the “new techniques” mentioned in line 31 were applied in studies of biological classifications other than bacteria, which of the following is most likely?
(A) Some of those classifications will have to be reevaluated. CORRECT, I guess?
(B) Many species of bacteria will be reclassified. - OUT, since the Q mentions "other than bacteria"
(C) It will be determined that there are four main categories of living things rather than three. - OUT, since passage clearly mentions "three stems in the tree of life"
(D) It will be found that true bacteria are much older than eukaryotes - OUT, since the Q mentions "other than bacteria"
(E) It will be found that there is a common ancestor of the eukaryotes, archaebacteria, and true bacteria. OUT, since the Q mentions "other than bacteria"

The only way to get to A , it seems, is POE, since I cannot base the inference on something solid - something tangible.

Is it just me or inference questions are harder, In both CR and RC. Any plan on doing a CR video on inference/must be true/conclusion questions?
Really enjoyed your videos.

Thanks and regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 723 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hey GMATNinja,

Can you help to explain the last question of the RC?

I went for E because of the below lines

Quote:
These techniques have strongly suggested that although the true bacteria indeed form a large coherent group, certain other bacteria, the archaebacteria, which are also prokaryotes and which resemble true bacteria, represent a distinct evolutionary branch that far antedates the common ancestor of all true bacteria.

I author is not tentative to accept the new approach, rather is he is strongly pushing(positive) for the new approach. Hence I went for E.

can you share your thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [1]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
Kudos
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey GMATNinja,

Can you help to explain the last question of the RC?

I went for E because of the below lines

Quote:
These techniques have strongly suggested that although the true bacteria indeed form a large coherent group, certain other bacteria, the archaebacteria, which are also prokaryotes and which resemble true bacteria, represent a distinct evolutionary branch that far antedates the common ancestor of all true bacteria.

I author is not tentative to accept the new approach, rather is he is strongly pushing(positive) for the new approach. Hence I went for E.

can you share your thoughts?

Hey pikolo2510, I will jump in and try to explain :-)

I think you're confusing the description of the study with the author's personal opinion.

The author says that the techniques have strongly suggested that there is a third group of bacteria. However, this is just a neutral description of the studies' results. From that sentence we can't infer anything about the author's personal opinion. If you look at the rest of the passage you will see that the author just states facts about studies and that he doesn't present any indicators of personal opinion. Therefore, it a truly neutral and scientific tone. This tone is best reflected by answer choice A).

Let's look at an example to make things more clear:

Quote:
"Sally told me that it is very likely that Dan would love fries for dinner"

We can only infer that Sally thinks that way. There isn't any information about whether the author of this sentence endorses or rejects Sally's opinion.

Hope that helps :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
In Question 7, I can see how E is the correct answer as it is not supported by the passage because of these lines "But even where the molecular processes are the same, the details in the two forms are different and characteristic of the respective forms. For example, the amino acid sequences of various enzymes tend to be typically prokaryotic or eukaryotic". But can someone tell me how does one prove choice A to be supported by the passage?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
DiyaDutta wrote:
In Question 7, I can see how E is the correct answer as it is not supported by the passage because of these lines "But even where the molecular processes are the same, the details in the two forms are different and characteristic of the respective forms. For example, the amino acid sequences of various enzymes tend to be typically prokaryotic or eukaryotic". But can someone tell me how does one prove choice A to be supported by the passage?

The passage first explains that it was "once assumed" that life could be divided into two evolutionary branches: the eukaryotic branch and "true bacteria," which are prokaryotic.

Then, the passage amends this explanation to account for three evolutionary branches: the eukaryotic branch, the true bacteria branch, and another prokaryotic branch called archaebacteria.

Even in this amended explanation, true bacteria form their own distinct evolutionary group -- the only change is that an another group is added. (A) is supported by the information in the passage, so it is not the answer to question #7.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
OG answer question "3"

The best answer is E. According to the passage, the two-category hypothesis, which assumed “that
all living things could be divided into two…categories,” (lines 1-2) now “seems fundamentally
wrong” (line 27) because it does not account for evidence that two kinds of prokaryotic organisms
exist: true bacteria and “a distinct evolutionary branch,” archaebateria (line 40). Thus, the
hypothesis is said to ignore an important distinction among prokaryotes, as E states. Choice A is
wrong because the passage does not even mention bacteria alike organisms existing within
eukaryotic cells. B contradict the passage, which states that “many unicellular organisms… are
eukaryotic.” C and D are wrong because each identifies as a flaw the failure to “account for”
conditions that the passage indicates the hypothesis accounted for
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Hi,
Could someone please explain qn6 to me.
I feel the answer should be 'A' for the following reasons
1) its stated in the 3rd last line that although " true bacteria indeed form a large coherent group..." meaning the earlier opinion formed was correct.
2) the recent studies clearly disproves the 2 group model as there is evidence of a third, how can we say that the researchers were correct to assume a two category model, hence eliminating the answer to the question option 'C'

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
Ajit97 wrote:
Hi,
Could someone please explain qn6 to me.
I feel the answer should be 'A' for the following reasons
1) its stated in the 3rd last line that although " true bacteria indeed form a large coherent group..." meaning the earlier opinion formed was correct.
2) the recent studies clearly disproves the 2 group model as there is evidence of a third, how can we say that the researchers were correct to assume a two category model, hence eliminating the answer to the question option 'C'

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Ajit97,

True that Option A can be inferred from both of the points mentioned above by you, but what Question 6 is asking is: "researchers working under the two-category hypothesis were correct in thinking that", meaning what were the researchers who worked on two-category hypothesis correct about and that would be C. As even in the the three category hypothesis, there is no mention of eukaryotes not being fundamentally different from true bacteria, implying that regardless that the two-category hypotheses was wrong in one respect, it is was correct in the understanding that eukaryotes are fundamentally different from true bacteria.

Let me know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
When I first read the title I thought that people assumed that living things could literally be divided into two XD
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Quote:
1. The passage is primarily concerned with

(A) detailing the evidence that has led most biologists to replace the trichotomous picture of living organisms with a dichotomous one
(B) outlining the factors that have contributed to the current hypothesis concerning the number of basic categories of living organisms
(C) evaluating experiments that have resulted in proof that the prokaryotes are more ancient than had been expected
(D) summarizing the differences in structure and function found among true bacteria, archaebacteria, and eukaryotes
(E) formulating a hypothesis about the mechanisms of evolution that resulted in the ancestors of the prokaryotes

for this question my first choice was B which is the answer but the word 'Hypothesis" made me doubt it as it is no where stated that it is just a hypothesis rather passage suggest that there are strong evidence for the categories of living can anybody explain?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos
VatsSaraf wrote:
Quote:

(A) detailing the evidence that has led most biologists to replace the trichotomous picture of living organisms with a dichotomous one
(B) outlining the factors that have contributed to the current hypothesis concerning the number of basic categories of living organisms
(C) evaluating experiments that have resulted in proof that the prokaryotes are more ancient than had been expected
(D) summarizing the differences in structure and function found among true bacteria, archaebacteria, and eukaryotes
(E) formulating a hypothesis about the mechanisms of evolution that resulted in the ancestors of the prokaryotes

for this question my first choice was B which is the answer but the word 'Hypothesis" made me doubt it as it is no where stated that it is just a hypothesis rather passage suggest that there are strong evidence for the categories of living can anybody explain?

Hi VatsSaraf,

Please refer the below reply by expert here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-was-once-assumed-that-all-living-things-could-be-divided-into-two-223449.html#p1722043

Let us know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
VatsSaraf wrote:
Quote:

Hi VatsSaraf,

Please refer the below reply by expert here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-was-once-assumed-that-all-living-things-could-be-divided-into-two-223449.html#p1722043

Let us know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.

hello thank you for your reply.
I still can't understand why the option calls its a hypothesis when there are clear evidence for those category. It might seem like I am looking too much into the words but some RC I previously attempted, called answer wrong for similar reason.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts