GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 02:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 21:06
arkle wrote:
I chose B when I attempted this question but now I realized that B is actually out of scope.

A company that has identified the relevant chemicals is planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when no potatoes are planted; any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.

(B) The only part of a potato plant that a nematode eats is the roots. --

I was thinking that No potatoes/potato roots will be present for nematodes to eat,so they will die.No.

The argument is to make them emerge from their protective cyst(not to kill them,we dont care whether they die or not),which only happens when potato roots emit certain chemicals.If making them emerge from their cyst is considered WIN and there will be no potato roots present,then definitely it is the magic of new chemical,which is exactly what company is trying to test.

I address this question in the same way. I still think that B is attempting and that B could be correct.
The win here IMO could only be achieved only if nematodes "starve to death" after emerging from the protective capsules.
I considered both B and D but eventually went with B.
D IMO is not convincing.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 09:18
Premise1: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops.
Premise2: The nematodes can lie dormant for several years in their cysts, which are protective capsules, and
Premise3: The Nematodes do not emerge except in the presence of chemicals emitted by potato roots.
Premise4: A company that has identified the relevant chemicals in planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when
no potatoes are planted;
Conclusion: any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.

According to Premise4, Company's Plan: To eliminate the pests before potatoes are planted, i.e, apply the relevant chemicals to bring the pests out of their protective capsules without the potato crops.

To Strengthen the argument, we need to show that the Company's plan will be successful/near to successful.

(A) Nematodes that have emerged from their cysts can be killed by ordinary pesticides.
This is irrelevant to the plan. As the plan is talking about the use of the chemical emitted by potato roots. Ordinary Pesticides are not in picture anywhere.

(B) The only part of a potato plant that a nematode eats is the roots.
This statement has nothing to do with the plan.
The company's plan is to eliminate the pests
before plantation of potatoes.
Whatever part of the potato plant the nematode eats does not support the company's plan of marketing chemical to the farmers.

(C) Some bacteria commonly present in the roots of potatoes digest the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts.
[Bacteria not discussed – eliminate it]

(D) Trials have shown that spreading even minute quantities of the chemicals on potato fields caused nine-tenths of the nematodes present to emerge from their cysts.
As per this finding majority of nematodes will be starving to death.

(E) the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts are not emitted all the time the potato plant is growing.
This statement may be true about the release of chemicals during potatoes growth lifecycle, but we are concerned with the chemicals explicitly spread by the farmers before the potatoes are planted

Thus, only option D remains and is the final answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The trouble is, you think you have time.” – Buddha
Kudos will encourage many others, like me.

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 06:22
Key points from the passage:

1. The company has identified the chemicals responsible for the emerging of nematodes.
2. The company is planning to market these ‘chemicals’ to the farmers, NOT the nematodes.
3. The company wants the farmers to spread these chemicals on their fields when no potatoes are planted. (So that, the nematodes which will emerge do not damage the potato crops)
4. The company claims that any nematodes that will emerge because of spreading the chemicals, will starve – They will starve because they have no food. (Potato fests feed only on potatoes – This is an implicit assumption)

Basically, the company’s plan is to activate the dormant nematodes that are already there in the farm. The company plans to activate the nematodes when there are no potato plants in the farm, so that the nematodes thus activated do not have any food to eat, and hence starve to death.

Now, please note that if the chemicals are unable to activate most of the nematodes (more than 75%), then the company’s plan fails.

Therefore, OA D is correct – Since this option states that the chemicals, even when sprayed in small quantities are able to activate 90% of the nematodes.

If this were an assumption question – OA B would be correct.

Hope this helps!! :)
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2018, 23:53
why is D the correct answer and not B?
Intern
Intern
B
Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2018, 23:38
Clarification between B and D

Why B should not be the answer:

Problem statement is to protect the potato crops from pests. According to the plan spraying chemicals should work. Answer choice B states that the nematodes eat only the roots. I think its a GMAT trap. Eating the roots can be classified as a damage to potato crop. Moreover spraying chemicals has no role to play when the roots are eaten my Nematodes.

Lets see Answer choice C,

After spraying minute amount of chemicals, still it could be found that 9/10 of the nematodes have grown. It can also be interpreted that minute amount of chemical has stopped the growth of 1/10 of the nematodes. So, going ahead by spraying chemicals throughout the field, the plan is going to work. This strengthens the answer.
VP
VP
D

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 09:14
Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can lie dormant for several years in their cysts, which are protective capsules, and do not emerge except in the presence of chemicals emitted by potato roots. A company that has identified the relevant chemicals in planning to market them to potato farmers to spread on their fields when no potatoes are planted; any nematodes that emerge will soon starve to death.

Which of the following, if true, best supports the claim that the company's plan will be successful?

What is the main concern ? To get rid of nematodes by starving them to death. nematodes are spread accross potato fields

(A) Nematodes that have emerged from their cysts can be killed by ordinary pesticides. ( out of scope. pestices not mentioned.

(B) The only part of a potato plant that a nematode eats is the roots. ( out of scope. we dont know this.)

(C) Some bacteria commonly present in the roots of potatoes digest the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts. ( out of scope. tals about some other bacteria. )

(D) Trials have shown that spreading even minute quantities of the chemicals on potato fields caused nine-tenths of the nematodes present to emerge from their cysts. ( true. matches the plan. nematodes will emerge from potato fileds and starve to death. )

(E) the chemicals that cause the nematodes to emerge from their cysts are not emitted all the time the potato plant is growing. out of scope. we dont know this

D by POE
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2018, 10:52
Although there is a logical gap between emerging out of cyst and starving to death, the argument presents a clue that cysts are the protective shells. That means emerging out of cyst won't protect the nematodes.
D lends support that the plan will help the emergence.

Posted from my mobile device

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li &nbs [#permalink] 09 Dec 2018, 10:52

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Potato cyst nematodes are a pest of potato crops. The nematodes can li

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap