GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Preparing the right mood and mindset for exams

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
Preparing the right mood and mindset for exams  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 08:31
So today, I attempted a practice CAT exam for the second time but there was something I realized, i could not finish the CAT. My mind frame and mood was just all over the place and I was afraid I was getting everything wrong so I decided to pause it and take it later in the future but I really need some heavy advice as to how to really tackle this exam fever, good advice will be heavily appreciated, thank you.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Preparing the right mood and mindset for exams  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 13:42
Hi bosho1,

To properly prepare for the GMAT, you have to plan to take practice CATs at regular intervals AND in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). If you can schedule/plan your CATs in advance, then you might be better able to get in the right mindset for each of those 'events' and perform better.

From what you've described, it sounds like you've take just 1 CAT (and it was 2 months ago). Assuming that your Score Goal is still 750+, you're going to have to be more organized and efficient about your studies. Until we have a more recent (and realistic) CAT Score, we have no way of knowing how effective your studies have been - and what you'll need to focus on going forward. Once you have that next score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2018, 21:55
bosho1 wrote:
So today, I attempted a practice CAT exam for the second time but there was something I realized, i could not finish the CAT. My mind frame and mood was just all over the place and I was afraid I was getting everything wrong so I decided to pause it and take it later in the future but I really need some heavy advice as to how to really tackle this exam fever, good advice will be heavily appreciated, thank you.
Was this the first time this happened, or did you face the same problem during your first test? Sometimes just taking a few more tests will help a test taker get more comfortable with the process.

If it happened just this once, I wouldn't read too much into it. Try taking your tests when you're relaxed (not after a long day at the office, for example) and see if that helps before considering anything more substantial to address this issue.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 06:05
AjiteshArun wrote:
bosho1 wrote:
Was this the first time this happened, or did you face the same problem during your first test? Sometimes just taking a few more tests will help a test taker get more comfortable with the process.

If it happened just this once, I wouldn't read too much into it. Try taking your tests when you're relaxed (not after a long day at the office, for example) and see if that helps before considering anything more substantial to address this issue.

Thanks for the advice. I see you got 780 in the GMAT, that is very impressive a score I hope to attain and hopefully you can give me some pointers as to how to get there.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 07:30
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bosho1,

To properly prepare for the GMAT, you have to plan to take practice CATs at regular intervals AND in a realistic fashion (take the FULL CAT - with the Essay and IR sections, take it away from your home, at the same time of day as when you'll take the Official GMAT, etc.). If you can schedule/plan your CATs in advance, then you might be better able to get in the right mindset for each of those 'events' and perform better.

From what you've described, it sounds like you've take just 1 CAT (and it was 2 months ago). Assuming that your Score Goal is still 750+, you're going to have to be more organized and efficient about your studies. Until we have a more recent (and realistic) CAT Score, we have no way of knowing how effective your studies have been - and what you'll need to focus on going forward. Once you have that next score, you should report back here and we can discuss how best to proceed.

Rich

I have now done two practice CAT exams
1st CAT - 530 Q37 V26
2nd CAT - 500 Q26 V33
These are really bad scores but hopefully I could get some advice on how to move forward, hopefully my target score can still be attained, I was able to change my exam date to sometime in July, thank you for the help.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:17
Hi bosho1,

Assuming that you've reported these two scores correctly (re: you have not accidentally flip-flopped either pair of Scaled Scores), then these two results show a real inconsistency in your performances. To hit 750+, you're going to need to make significant improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. If you're currently working with a 'book heavy' Study Plan, then you you would likely benefit far more from a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

1) What is your exact Test Date?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:31
I set up my test date for July 5th

And I can consistently do 6 hours a week at the least.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:48
Hi bosho1,

6 hours a week of study time isn't very much; you would likely need to commit to at least 15-20 hours of quality study time each week for at least the next 3 months to properly train to consistently score at a higher level. If you meant to type 6 hours per DAY, then that type of volume is probably not necessary (and studying that much would likely increase your chances of 'burning out' - which is something that we want to avoid).

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2018, 10:53
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi bosho1,

6 hours a week of study time isn't very much; you would likely need to commit to at least 15-20 hours of quality study time each week for at least the next 3 months to properly train to consistently score at a higher level. If you meant to type 6 hours per DAY, then that type of volume is probably not necessary (and studying that much would likely increase your chances of 'burning out' - which is something that we want to avoid).

When it comes to studying for the GMAT, there are a variety of different options. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our website (http://www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Oh okay, I see you have the 99/mo package and the 345 package. Is that all being offered or is there any other form of discount I can take advantage of?
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 10:57
Hi bosho1,

Yes - we do offer a special discount to members of GMATClub. If you purchase the Course through the following link, then you'll automatically receive the discount:

https://gmatclub.com/marketplace/course ... ine-Course

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Preparing the right mood and mindset for exams &nbs [#permalink] 14 Apr 2018, 10:57

Preparing the right mood and mindset for exams

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Try it for free Online, personalized course | Tutor support | Special GMAT Club discount + tests included
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap