Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: AICPA, CAL Society CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management
Schools:Kellogg 1Y, Duke 2Y
GMAT 2: 660
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
So if you need prior PE experience to get into a PE firm, where do you get PE experience to begin with!?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
justincase49 wrote:
So if you need prior PE experience to get into a PE firm, where do you get PE experience to begin with!?

No... generally you need IB experience or P/L management "line" experience.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Out of an ivy as an analyst.

justincase49 wrote:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
So if you don't already have IB or PE experience prior to getting an MBA, is it realistically possible to work in IB for 2-3 years and then lateral over to a PE firm?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
You can also get cherry picked from a MC firm too right? I they recruit out of Mckinsey I heard...

So the path would be MBA>McKinsey>Blackstone? (if you dont do IB)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
justincase49 wrote:
You can also get cherry picked from a MC firm too right? I they recruit out of Mckinsey I heard...

depends on what type of consulting projects have you done at McK...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
So if you don't already have IB or PE experience prior to getting an MBA, is it realistically possible to work in IB for 2-3 years and then lateral over to a PE firm?

That's a fairly realistic route assuming you've made the necessary contacts during your IB tenure. However, the top PE firms hire very infrequently, so you might have to set your sights on more middle-market firms rather than putting all your hopes on a Blackstone or TPG.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
haddy74 wrote:
justincase49 wrote:

depends on what type of consulting projects have you done at McK...

I've heard of a good number of folks getting hired out of Bain's PE business.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
flapjack wrote:

That's a fairly realistic route assuming you've made the necessary contacts during your IB tenure. However, the top PE firms hire very infrequently, so you might have to set your sights on more middle-market firms rather than putting all your hopes on a Blackstone or TPG.

Most of the guys I know in PE took this route. 2 years at IB, then PE.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, you mean that they worked at the IB for two years after getting the MBA and then moved to PE, right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Needn't have an MBA flapjack (though for most people here the MBA gets the IB part) - experience in the market is what they are after.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
go check out Silverlake and KKR websites [#permalink]
if you want to find out what sort of poeple these PE firms hire, go take a look at their sites. It gives you an idea of what sort of candidates these firms look for. One thing that I've noticed is that most come into the firm with IB background. The usual bulge bracket IB firms out there are usually a good breeding ground for potential PE opportunities. It also helps if you have a particular industry experience say in technology as there is always some form of industry consolidation going on in Silicon Valley.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: go check out Silverlake and KKR websites [#permalink]
mlchang616 wrote:
if you want to find out what sort of poeple these PE firms hire, go take a look at their sites. It gives you an idea of what sort of candidates these firms look for. One thing that I've noticed is that most come into the firm with IB background. The usual bulge bracket IB firms out there are usually a good breeding ground for potential PE opportunities. It also helps if you have a particular industry experience say in technology as there is always some form of industry consolidation going on in Silicon Valley.

I did a lot of that last week. My firm is marketing to PE funds, and I was looking for certain backgrounds in each company. While most do come from IB backgrounds, there are a lot of firms that are very operations oriented. Some even have entire groups of people with corporate/industry/consulting experience. So it's possible, just a lot harder.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
flapjack wrote:
Rhyme, you mean that they worked at the IB for two years after getting the MBA and then moved to PE, right?

Either before or after - most I know did 2 years IB pre MBA, moved into PE pre MBA, and are now pursuing an MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
My roommate from when I worked at a BB for the summer worked at UBS then decided to go into PE before getting an MBA. I lucked up, the company I work for is a portfolio that was recently merged into a PE fund. There are many ways to get your foot in the door in PE. The conventional route is IB/MC for a few years and then coming in as a grunt. Its not as easy to advance in PE firms as it is in IB/MC because there is a pyramid organizational strucuture that is more heavily weighted towards the top. The route I recommend is going to an I-Bank and working your way up to VP/SVP, or junior MD, and then hopping to PE as a principal/MD
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
chillonamill wrote:
My roommate from when I worked at a BB for the summer worked at UBS then decided to go into PE before getting an MBA. I lucked up, the company I work for is a portfolio that was recently merged into a PE fund. There are many ways to get your foot in the door in PE. The conventional route is IB/MC for a few years and then coming in as a grunt. Its not as easy to advance in PE firms as it is in IB/MC because there is a pyramid organizational strucuture that is more heavily weighted towards the top. The route I recommend is going to an I-Bank and working your way up to VP/SVP, or junior MD, and then hopping to PE as a principal/MD

I'm 22, targeting B-school in 4 years, 26. What's the timeline for what you're talking about along with Compensation for the ending position at the IB and the starting position at a PE firm.

If the $$$ isn't significantly different, would it make more sense just to stay at the IB until MD?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
justincase49 wrote:
chillonamill wrote:

I'm 22, targeting B-school in 4 years, 26. What's the timeline for what you're talking about along with Compensation for the ending position at the IB and the starting position at a PE firm.

If the $$$ isn't significantly different, would it make more sense just to stay at the IB until MD?

The range and time frame varies quite a bit. Here are the best estimates I could find of comp.

https://www.bankersball.com/2007/04/05/2006-comp-figures-ib-pe/

Also, from my personal experience, the low end of PE is not where its at. You want to come into this profession at the high end.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2