It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 16:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Prof. Eval. Req. : Indian/ M/ GMAT 740/ WE 76 Months/ Metal Manufactu

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Prof. Eval. Req. : Indian/ M/ GMAT 740/ WE 76 Months/ Metal Manufactu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2017, 12:32
Hi,

Thanks for taking time out to review my profile.

Hope to receive your valuable feedback on my profiles suitability for the listed programs.

A. Education :
- M.Tech in Project Engineering and Management from BITS, Pilani under BITSs Work Integrated Learning Program (sponsored by ex. employer)
2013-2015; GPA : 6.76/10.

- B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from West Bengal University of Technology.
2007-2011; GPA : 6.85/10.

B. GMAT : 740 (Q49, V42, IR 6, AWA (awaited)) (Dec. '17)

C. WE : 76 Months

Nov. 2015 onwards
One of worlds top 10 steel manufacturing companies, based in India. I'm a Manager (Electrical) with its Engineering Group. Few of my achievements are listed below.
- One of top five performers within the group (strength 60).
- Managed multiple teams of tech. consultants, contractors and suppliers to deliver complete engineering of electrical systems for projects having combined cost of over $500million.
- Proposed value engineering initiatives with combined savings potential of over $2million.
- Performed electrical systems study for one of India's largest greenfield projects.
- Worked in cross-cultural and cross-functional teams, which included participants from China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, UK and USA.
- Prepared tech standards, engineering design docs that are used across the company.
- Mentored two summer interns.
- Taught courses on electrical design engineering to fresh batch of engineering trainees.

Aug. 2011 - Oct. 2015
A renowned Indian transnational consulting engineering firm credited with engineering 1600 grassroot projects in the fields of power generation, transmission and distribution, nuclear power, cement, petrochem, etc.
I was recruited as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Aug 2011 and was promoted to the post of Design Engineer (Electrical) in Aug 2012. I remained with the company till Oct. 2015. Some of my achievements are listed below.
- Top tier performer for three consecutive years.
- Led a team of three to execute complete electrical design of an integrated cement plant having project cost of $300million.
- Led a team of electrical engineers within cross-functional project group, which designed some of the first alternate fuel processing and feeding systems for the cement industry in India.
- Travelled extensively across India as a technical consultant and advised top technical mangers of clients, contractors and suppliers on various technical aspects of project and design engineering.
- Worked in cross-cultural and cross-functional teams, which included participants from China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Libya, Switzerland, Turkey, South Africa, UAE and Zambia.
- Conducted engineering design for several greenfield and brownfield cement and power projects in India, Syria, Turkey, UAE and Zambia.
- One of four graduate trainees and only one from electrical department to be sponsored for BITS, Pilani conducted M.Tech course in Project Engineering and Management.

D. Additional :
- Society of American Value Engineers (SAVE) certified Value Methodology Associate (VMA).
- ABB certified Substation Design Engineer.
- Vice president of undergrad college general council. Led 20 member team to organize college fests, other events.
- Lead guitarist of undergrad college band.
- Organized and participated in intramural football competitions during undergrad.
- Ran a 10km marathon.
- Along with a colleague, taught engineering design to two young professionals and helped them get placed in reputed engineering firms.

E. Post MBA goals :
Short term - strategy consulting with top management consulting firms or with top tech. companies.

Long term - Entrepreneurial endeavour with focus on strategy consulting for tech firms.

F. Shortlisted MBA programs :
(in order of preference)
INSEAD FT MBA Jan'19 : Stretch (Rd 1)
LBS FT MBA Aug'18 : Stretch (Rd 2)
IMD FT MBA Jan'19 : Stretch (Rd 1)
HEC Paris FT MBA Sep'18 : Competitive (Jan' deadline)
NUS FT MBA Aug'18 : Competitive (Rd 1)
ISB FT MBA '18 : Competitive (Rd 2)

Thanks for going over my profile. Would you be kind enough to assess my candidature for the listed programs.
Is my assessment of schools reasonable?
Do I have a chance at cracking Insead or LBS?
Given my pre MBA WE, do I stand a competitive chance at landing a management consulting role or a tech strategy role, post MBA?

Thanks and sorry for the long post..

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1030 [1], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Prof. Eval. Req. : Indian/ M/ GMAT 740/ WE 76 Months/ Metal Manufactu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2017, 03:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Rchar wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for taking time out to review my profile.

Hope to receive your valuable feedback on my profiles suitability for the listed programs.

A. Education :
- M.Tech in Project Engineering and Management from BITS, Pilani under BITSs Work Integrated Learning Program (sponsored by ex. employer)
2013-2015; GPA : 6.76/10.

- B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from West Bengal University of Technology.
2007-2011; GPA : 6.85/10.

B. GMAT : 740 (Q49, V42, IR 6, AWA (awaited)) (Dec. '17)

C. WE : 76 Months

Nov. 2015 onwards
One of worlds top 10 steel manufacturing companies, based in India. I'm a Manager (Electrical) with its Engineering Group. Few of my achievements are listed below.
- One of top five performers within the group (strength 60).
- Managed multiple teams of tech. consultants, contractors and suppliers to deliver complete engineering of electrical systems for projects having combined cost of over $500million.
- Proposed value engineering initiatives with combined savings potential of over $2million.
- Performed electrical systems study for one of India's largest greenfield projects.
- Worked in cross-cultural and cross-functional teams, which included participants from China, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Africa, UK and USA.
- Prepared tech standards, engineering design docs that are used across the company.
- Mentored two summer interns.
- Taught courses on electrical design engineering to fresh batch of engineering trainees.

Aug. 2011 - Oct. 2015
A renowned Indian transnational consulting engineering firm credited with engineering 1600 grassroot projects in the fields of power generation, transmission and distribution, nuclear power, cement, petrochem, etc.
I was recruited as a Graduate Engineer Trainee in Aug 2011 and was promoted to the post of Design Engineer (Electrical) in Aug 2012. I remained with the company till Oct. 2015. Some of my achievements are listed below.
- Top tier performer for three consecutive years.
- Led a team of three to execute complete electrical design of an integrated cement plant having project cost of $300million.
- Led a team of electrical engineers within cross-functional project group, which designed some of the first alternate fuel processing and feeding systems for the cement industry in India.
- Travelled extensively across India as a technical consultant and advised top technical mangers of clients, contractors and suppliers on various technical aspects of project and design engineering.
- Worked in cross-cultural and cross-functional teams, which included participants from China, France, Germany, India, Japan, Libya, Switzerland, Turkey, South Africa, UAE and Zambia.
- Conducted engineering design for several greenfield and brownfield cement and power projects in India, Syria, Turkey, UAE and Zambia.
- One of four graduate trainees and only one from electrical department to be sponsored for BITS, Pilani conducted M.Tech course in Project Engineering and Management.

D. Additional :
- Society of American Value Engineers (SAVE) certified Value Methodology Associate (VMA).
- ABB certified Substation Design Engineer.
- Vice president of undergrad college general council. Led 20 member team to organize college fests, other events.
- Lead guitarist of undergrad college band.
- Organized and participated in intramural football competitions during undergrad.
- Ran a 10km marathon.
- Along with a colleague, taught engineering design to two young professionals and helped them get placed in reputed engineering firms.

E. Post MBA goals :
Short term - strategy consulting with top management consulting firms or with top tech. companies.

Long term - Entrepreneurial endeavour with focus on strategy consulting for tech firms.

F. Shortlisted MBA programs :
(in order of preference)
INSEAD FT MBA Jan'19 : Stretch (Rd 1)
LBS FT MBA Aug'18 : Stretch (Rd 2)
IMD FT MBA Jan'19 : Stretch (Rd 1)
HEC Paris FT MBA Sep'18 : Competitive (Jan' deadline)
NUS FT MBA Aug'18 : Competitive (Rd 1)
ISB FT MBA '18 : Competitive (Rd 2)

Thanks for going over my profile. Would you be kind enough to assess my candidature for the listed programs.
Is my assessment of schools reasonable?
Do I have a chance at cracking Insead or LBS?
Given my pre MBA WE, do I stand a competitive chance at landing a management consulting role or a tech strategy role, post MBA?

Thanks and sorry for the long post..

Hey dude,
Great to hear from you! And very sweet GMAT you got there.

I think overall your profile is quite good and strong. The two weaknesses are:
1. Demographics (Indian/Male)
2. UG school/GPA - Your school is actually a good one and well-known, but it's still a touch shy of the IITs/NIT

I think LBS is a bit of a long shot, not just because of profile stuff, but because it is heavily a finance/consulting school, and they don't tend to have much to offer in industry. You can apply anyhow of course, but you will have to work extra hard on making that case. INSEAD would be a better fit for you and with a 740 you should have a solid shot, if you can come up with a good application. And I think the same goes for the other schools on your list.

If you are looking at other top-tier European programs, you may want to look into Oxford and Cambridge. And from an industry perspective you may want to look into German B-schools. They are not currently the highest ranked globally as they are quite young, but you should be able to find a good market for your skills in the country so it might be an interesting alternative for you.

I hope this helps!
And let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Prof. Eval. Req. : Indian/ M/ GMAT 740/ WE 76 Months/ Metal Manufactu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Dec 2017, 12:05
Thanks Jon..

I had looked into ESMTs program when I was researching schools. A friend of mine is an alumnus. I will get in touch with him and find out more on the program. I have also decided to look into Manheims program. Thanks for your suggestion.

One follow up question though, if you don't mind..

I've been shortlisted for a promotion at work.. The entire process of promotion at my company takes around 1.5 months time and involves a couple of rounds, ending with a personal interview with the heads of the recruiting department. Based on the offered job role and function, and my field of work and my prior experience, I believe I have a strong chance of being selected.. if I do succeed, I believe the promotion would look good on my application and would increase my chances of getting admitted to my preferred programs..
So I was thinking of delaying my applications by a couple of months.. This will also provide me with sufficient time to research for essays and to prep for interviews and will set me up for a round 1 application at Insead, a round 2 application at IMD, an earlier cycle application at HEC (Jan'19). However, I'll miss the round 1 application cycle at NUS and the compete application cycle for ISB's 2018 intake.
NUS, ISB being lower down my preference list, I'm ready to sacrifice those applications if I'm convinced that this promotion(if I get it) would indeed better my chances of securing an admit to the programs that I desire to be a part of.

What are your thoughts?
Would the promotion help with the application or would schools view taking a promotion just before applying for a MBA, negatively.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admissionado
G

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Rchar wrote:
Thanks Jon..

I had looked into ESMTs program when I was researching schools. A friend of mine is an alumnus. I will get in touch with him and find out more on the program. I have also decided to look into Manheims program. Thanks for your suggestion.

One follow up question though, if you don't mind..

I've been shortlisted for a promotion at work.. The entire process of promotion at my company takes around 1.5 months time and involves a couple of rounds, ending with a personal interview with the heads of the recruiting department. Based on the offered job role and function, and my field of work and my prior experience, I believe I have a strong chance of being selected.. if I do succeed, I believe the promotion would look good on my application and would increase my chances of getting admitted to my preferred programs..
So I was thinking of delaying my applications by a couple of months.. This will also provide me with sufficient time to research for essays and to prep for interviews and will set me up for a round 1 application at Insead, a round 2 application at IMD, an earlier cycle application at HEC (Jan'19). However, I'll miss the round 1 application cycle at NUS and the compete application cycle for ISB's 2018 intake.
NUS, ISB being lower down my preference list, I'm ready to sacrifice those applications if I'm convinced that this promotion(if I get it) would indeed better my chances of securing an admit to the programs that I desire to be a part of.

What are your thoughts?
Would the promotion help with the application or would schools view taking a promotion just before applying for a MBA, negatively.

Hey there,
Good to hear back from you.

Well a promotion is always good. I can't say yet whether it would be definitive in defining your application, but anyhow given that we are quite late for this season, you would be applying so late for the schools whose deadlines you have missed, that anyhow concentrating on R1 of January intake for INSEAD, IMD, and HEC makes TONS of sense especially since these are your preferred schools.

Hope this helps!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 03:27
Thanks Jon..

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 22

WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2017, 04:07
Hey,

I am not an expert, but still here are my 2 cents on the topic.
You can also try Warwick, HKU, USG and ESADE. These schools are also good and you have a very strong profile to get into these with a considerable scholarship.

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 22

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 00:48
Rchar wrote:
Thanks Jon..

My pleasure, dude!
Drop a line if we can be of any help.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Kudos [?]: 1030 [0], given: 49

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 01:17
ss3617 wrote:
Hey,

I am not an expert, but still here are my 2 cents on the topic.
You can also try Warwick, HKU, USG and ESADE. These schools are also good and you have a very strong profile to get into these with a considerable scholarship.

Hi ss3617,

Thanks for your inputs. ESADE & HKU are on my list, but as backup schools. Haven't looked into the others though. Btw, by USG, do you mean University of St. Gallen?

Prof. Eval. Req. : Indian/ M/ GMAT 740/ WE 76 Months/ Metal Manufactu

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: JonAdmissionado

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap