GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options?

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 11:10
Hi there,

I'm a professional jazz drummer seeking an MBA to gain a management job in the music industry. I graduated from Northwestern University with a double major (jazz studies/ percussion performance in addition to communications). For the past 7 years, I've been a jazz drummer/percussionist, playing in some big-time ensembles and gigs (think like Big Phat Band).

I graduated with a 3.9 GPA in communications/percussion studies at Northwestern. I took the GMAT and got a 740 (48 Quant). If it matters, I'm also African-American. I do SAT tutoring for my volunteer time.

I'm just curious as to what my options were, and if it would make sense to apply to my alma matter, Northwestern, for Kellogg. I know I'm an extremely unorthodox MBA candidate as a professional musician, so I don't know what schools to target or how to approach my application.

Thank you!
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2018, 12:16
Your options would not be so dissimilar from those of someone from a more traditional industry. The tricky part would be to demonstrate in your application the qualities that business goals are seeking: leadership, teamwork and problem-solving.

In some ways you have been a self-employed entrepreneur over the past 7 years and that would be my platform for you. And in so doing you've had to exercise certain of these skills.

While I think it would be a good idea to apply to Kellogg I don't necessarily think that there would be any specific advantage to that, as they are always seeking diversity.

I honestly think that as long as you can demonstrate the qualities I mentioned, you are going to be an extremely desirable candidate. In terms of diversity on all angles and of course your stats are great.

My next question for you would be, have you checked into your options and are you sure that this is going to be the least expensive and most effective way to get into a management job in the music industry?

Media is not really always so big on MBA and I speak from experience. Are they willing to pay for it you know what I mean? I would really do your homework on this first. Set up some Skype conversations with people who are in the jobs that you would want to have post-graduation. I would hate for you to spend a whole bunch of time and money on something that you thought would work but in fact isn't the path. So check that out if you haven't already.

I hope this is helpful and definitely reach out to me if you're interested in working with someone. I am a major league jazz fan :-) and so I think I might be able to help you mastermind some of this better than someone who is not.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G
Re: Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 18:24
I think you have a really strong background actually and Kellogg would probably love to help you. You are a diverse candidate which school still struggle to attract with a strong GMAT/GPA. Your career goals are also well aligned with your unorthodox background, so the transition will be seen as smoother and less of a leap of faith from the school. There will be a few questions about why you are looking to go this route but just be prepared to answer them and make sure you flag some of your transferable interpersonal skills from your career in music as well as your passion.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

mbaMission Admissions Consultant
S

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2018, 06:33
Hey jazzdrumquestion
I think I may have responded to this somewhere else but yes, you are interesting on the basis of stats alone! To add to my previous advice and the advice from my counterparts above...reach out to the Entertainment clubs at the b-schools you are interested in. Ask them who is recruiting and what they are seeing on the ground. There is usually a trek at some point where the clubs will visit a number of entertainment industry clients BUT this is a broad definition. It could end up being more film/TV related. One thing I've been seeing a lot lately is people who want to work for Spotify and those post-MBA jobs do exist so perhaps keep an open mind.
Hope that helps! Please set up that free consultation to talk more!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options? &nbs [#permalink] 29 Mar 2018, 06:33

Professional Jazz Drummer Seeking an MBA. What are my options?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap