Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Profile evaluation - 15 years of Experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I think that’s the right direction - 1-year MBA. Obviously the top school will be INSEAD for consulting and 1-year MBA. It is pretty expensive however and very competitive. If you are aiming to move out of India, this is the best shot.

If you’re planning to stay within India, then going for one of the local programs is probably the best option.

US - I am not sure. MSx is the only thought that comes to my mind but it is very competitive as well. Any other 1-year FT US programs for older applicants?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation - 15 years of Experience [#permalink]
I haven't checked so much on the US for 1 year MBA. IMD, HEC and IE are the ones I have been looking into.

IMD seems to be having a class of higher average age.

Shorub

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes! IMD. Good one. They definitely favor the more experienced applicants. However I think they may require international work experience. Something to research.

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Shorub wrote:
Hi,

Yes, I got a sense of this aspect when I went through the average age of the class of different schools.

I am keeping my options between the 1 year MBA programs of EU and India. Hope this is in right sense.

Shorub

Hi Shorub

BB has pointed you in the right direction here.

In India, IIMA PGPX and the IIM Lucknow IPMX would be good bets. In Asia, the Nanyang Fellows program is a possibility.

In Europe, the LBS Sloan Fellows is a viable option. Judging by the experience of a recent candidate, you might want to check at IMD, INSEAD, and HEC, as he was turned away by all (just on the basis of the experience, without submitting an application) and asked to consider the EMBA instead.

If you are at all open to considering the US, then look at the IBEAR MBA at USC as a good option, apart from of course the Sloan Fellows program at MIT and the Stanford MSX.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thinking about it, quite a few of the US FT MBA programs have 1-year options (Kellogg, Johnson, and many others in the top 20, however, I am not sure if they are receptive to the 35+ yo applicants)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you BB for your suggestions. I will look into all these options after my GMAT.

Shorub

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Shorub

I would like to share my 2 cents. It is about direct experience and does contradict any views posted earlier but it will show narrow gate or hope in the Full time MBA, if you like. It could help you.

There are a lot of nice 1-years MBA programs in EU mentioned above and there are more in other countries such as Netherlands and Germany. For example, one of the most respected persons sayantanc2k got his MBA from Leipzig university at age of 41.

In the USA, you have also good MBA 1-year such as Emory,Kellogg and Johnson..etc but every school has its requirements. Regarding the full time 2-year mba in US, I agree that there is very very small chance. I know that there is very few people in your age in Kelley, Fisher and Vanderbilt (Vandy has range from 24-44 and I think last year someone was 47 :oops:) you can check Vandy's class profile here: https://business.vanderbilt.edu/mba/class-profile/ However, there are lot to consider.

1- Theoretically, you have the chance like others but actually we do not know the profile of accepted students and why schools accepted them. There are a lot of hidden factors that not announced by adcom.

2- You are coming from a very competitive pool so why schools accept and reject younger applicant from same pool. Do not forget that school examine your employability after graduation. Here, you mentioned consulting. I recall years ago an alumnus from Tuck'14, with whom the school connected me ad who has been working for LEK consulting. This point was brought up. He mentioned that he had some old students in his class but not remember exactly age ( I think 34-35) but he mentions that consulting companies most probably do not hire high ages to avoid any conflicts with team leader who might be a project leader and yet younger than you. So be reliable in your dreams and you need to think that you are highly likely a career enhancer not switcher at this age. Another example is sayantanc2k who was a mechanical engineer and shifted to data field or similar, if not mistaken. It worth mentioning that 1-year MBA do not help in career shifting in the US but could do outside but age play a role. I have a friend (30 years old-Indian) who graduated from Kellogg last year and could find a job in the US and got an opportunity in corporate strategy in big corporate in Dubai. Maybe bb could put you in contact with him. Another area to consider is doing 2-year MAb with dual degrees such as in Jindal. You can do an MBA and supply chain that is STEM program.
For any kind of MBA, adcom MUST see very detailed, organized mind and plan for growth. So be clear when you answer: 'why MBA & Why now".

3- My advice is also that you contact with adcom and engage in discussions and Skype meetings. It really helps. Get first hand info from adcom. Most of them are very nice and helpful. Ask adcom to connect thme with current students, preferably at your age.

By chance, I share some of your career in my early life but changed to other field. :cool: I hope you are tough with your suppliers ;)

Feel free ask or PM me an time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mo2men,

Thanks for your inputs. I shall consider these when applying.

Shorub

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot