It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2017, 23:08
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.
Indian female, 6 years work experience in government sector in Managerial position (Probability of securing a position in this government service is 0.25% ). Currently on leave for last one year, in US. Cleared cfa level 1 and volunteered for almost 200 hours during this leave period, apart from pursuing hobbies. Gmat 760 and Gpa 68%/100 from a non IIT, good Engineering college. Know 5 languages including Spanish (basic knowledge). I want to continue in General Management but would like to shift from Government to Corporate sector. Looking at top 10 programs. Can you pl suggest which university I should apply to, for substantial scholarship. Thank you.

Sent from my GT-I9300I using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Re: Profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 00:14
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.
Indian female, 6 years work experience in government sector in Managerial position (Probability of securing a position in this government service is 0.25% ). Currently on leave for last one year, in US. Cleared cfa level 1 and volunteered for almost 200 hours during this leave period, apart from pursuing hobbies. Gmat 760 and Gpa 68%/100 from a non IIT, good Engineering college. Know 5 languages including Spanish (basic knowledge). I want to continue in General Management but would like to shift from Government to Corporate sector. Looking at top 10 programs. Can you pl suggest which university I should apply to, for substantial scholarship. Thank you.

Hi Niki,

Good to hear from you.

You seem to have a good overall profile, but I'd still like to understand more about you. Do elaborate on the current employment gap - have you quit your company or are you on a sabbatical?Say, if you are to apply this fall, what is your plan until then? If your sabbatical continues (or you continue to be without a job), b-schools will view this long break negatively, and I also believe the volunteering work will not justify your time away from full time work(it works to only about 1 hour per day for 200 days - that's not intense involvement or a substitute for full time work).

The positives in your profile are your exclusive Government position, your strong GMAT score, extra curricular activities (as a stand alone activity, not viewed in lieu of your work experience), and you multi lingual capability.

The negatives are the long break and the low GPA.

Its going to be difficult applying to the top ten colleges with a clear eye at the scholarships- these are fairly low in number and you are likely to get one if the b-school really wants you. You can apply to a few lower ranked colleges where you would have a better shot at the scholarships.

We'd be happy to have a more detailed discussion with you, so feel free to contact us with your resume.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772

Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask for a FREE profile evaluation HERE

Featured among the top 25 Women CEOs in India, in the CEO Magazine

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 52

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2017, 08:15
Thank you for your early response. I took leave as I was expecting a baby. Nd cleared cfa 1 and volunteered for 4 months, during pregnancy. Will be joining back soon. I plan to apply in Sept'17. I had applied 2 years back as well w/o help nd had secured admission at a top 20 university with scholarship. But couldn't join because of financial constraints.

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 08:44
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.

Congratulations on your stellar GMAT score. To get a scholarship, I would reach beyond top 10 as you may find yourself with best scholarship options in top 20 range. I think with early applications to schools like UNC Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, possibly Rice, Michigan, Mendoza, Emory, Georgetown etc I think your chances at scholarships are much stronger. To be in the best situation for that, you should have done your school research now and you should be ready to submit all your applications in the earliest round. And I think a consultant could really help you make sure you have realistic goals that will work in the application process. To get a free consult with us, go to this link: http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
The odds of getting into HBS, GSB etc are so low and your chances of securing a scholarship are also lower. Not saying you should not try, but if you want to have some $$ offers I would make that part of my strategy and also select some schools for that too. We often suggest a 3+3+3 approach: 3 reach schools, 3 target and 3 safety. And for you would would put in the target range those schools where you think your odds for scholarship are excellent. Best wishes and let us know if we can help you more. I had some clients this year get significant scholarships - some full rides- some 75% and when you look at it this way- it makes the cost of a consultant a real value if it helps you have the best odds of securing funding. Good luck to you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 10:31
Thank you for the evaluation and suggestions.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 21:31
StratusMBACounselor wrote:
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.

Congratulations on your stellar GMAT score. To get a scholarship, I would reach beyond top 10 as you may find yourself with best scholarship options in top 20 range. I think with early applications to schools like UNC Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, possibly Rice, Michigan, Mendoza, Emory, Georgetown etc I think your chances at scholarships are much stronger. To be in the best situation for that, you should have done your school research now and you should be ready to submit all your applications in the earliest round. And I think a consultant could really help you make sure you have realistic goals that will work in the application process. To get a free consult with us, go to this link: http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/
The odds of getting into HBS, GSB etc are so low and your chances of securing a scholarship are also lower. Not saying you should not try, but if you want to have some $$ offers I would make that part of my strategy and also select some schools for that too. We often suggest a 3+3+3 approach: 3 reach schools, 3 target and 3 safety. And for you would would put in the target range those schools where you think your odds for scholarship are excellent. Best wishes and let us know if we can help you more. I had some clients this year get significant scholarships - some full rides- some 75% and when you look at it this way- it makes the cost of a consultant a real value if it helps you have the best odds of securing funding. Good luck to you!

Thank you for your evaluation and suggestions.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2017, 21:33
MBADecoder wrote:
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.

Hi Niki,

Good to hear from you.

You seem to have a good overall profile, but I'd still like to understand more about you. Do elaborate on the current employment gap - have you quit your company or are you on a sabbatical?Say, if you are to apply this fall, what is your plan until then? If your sabbatical continues (or you continue to be without a job), b-schools will view this long break negatively, and I also believe the volunteering work will not justify your time away from full time work(it works to only about 1 hour per day for 200 days - that's not intense involvement or a substitute for full time work).

The positives in your profile are your exclusive Government position, your strong GMAT score, extra curricular activities (as a stand alone activity, not viewed in lieu of your work experience), and you multi lingual capability.

The negatives are the long break and the low GPA.

Its going to be difficult applying to the top ten colleges with a clear eye at the scholarships- these are fairly low in number and you are likely to get one if the b-school really wants you. You can apply to a few lower ranked colleges where you would have a better shot at the scholarships.

We'd be happy to have a more detailed discussion with you, so feel free to contact us with your resume.

Thank you for your early response. I took leave as I was expecting a baby. Nd cleared cfa 1 and volunteered for 4 months, during pregnancy. Will be joining back soon. I plan to apply in Sept'17. I had applied 2 years back as well w/o help nd had secured admission at a top 20 university with scholarship. But couldn't join because of financial constraints. Do you think pregnancy is acceptable as a reason for the gap, considering that maternity leave in US is almost non existent while in India it is 6 months.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 37

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 03:05
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.

Hi Niki86,
Apologies for the late reply.
You have an excellent profile and I think you can make it in top 10 schools in the USA. In my opinion they will consider a gap year specially when it is due to pregnancy. Furthermore, you volunteered and cleared for CFA 1 during this period which is an added advantage. You have mentioned to stay in general management, may I ask then why did you pursue CFA? I will need to know more about your profile to suggest some schools to you. Would love to discuss it further. Hope this helps.
Good Luck !

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 06:39
EduSimplified wrote:
niki86 wrote:
Hi.
Pl evaluate my profile.

Hi Niki86,
Apologies for the late reply.
You have an excellent profile and I think you can make it in top 10 schools in the USA. In my opinion they will consider a gap year specially when it is due to pregnancy. Furthermore, you volunteered and cleared for CFA 1 during this period which is an added advantage. You have mentioned to stay in general management, may I ask then why did you pursue CFA? I will need to know more about your profile to suggest some schools to you. Would love to discuss it further. Hope this helps.
Good Luck !

Thank you for the review. I was MD of a cooperative and realised basic knowledge of finance was essential. So I registered for cfa as soon as I started my break. I have not applied for level 2. I will mail you for further discussion.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 31 Mar 2017, 23:12
Thanks to all who reviewed. Have finally decided to not have a consultant.

Re: Profile evaluation   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2017, 23:12

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: OasisGC

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap