It is currently 23 Sep 2017, 16:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 10:06
Hi everyone,

as I'm in the process of applying for business school -fall 2018- I would really appreciate to get any insights you might have from your current/past experience either as applicants or as consultants.

Female, Spanish, 26
Undergrad: Industrial Engineering, public university in Spain, best GPA in graduating class (2014)
Work experience as of Aug 2017: 2 yrs 8 mons (+3 months at a very successful startup right after graduation)
- 1 yr 7 months as a project engineer at a leading scientific organization
- 1 yr (ongoing) at a top management consulting firm (MBB)
GMAT score: 750 Q49 V42 (November 2015)

Extracurriculars:
- throughout high school, college, and first working years: competitive basketball, classical music (professional conservatory degree and involvement in mulitple orchestras)
- significantly lower dedication to extracurriculars in the past year due to very high workload, but still competing with a basketball team in a local league, and recently starting practicing and competing in ultimate frisbee in Spain and in a few intl' tournaments
- hoping to make music, basketball and ultimate frisbee part of my community engagement during my MBA

International experience:
- gap year after high school graduation in the US
- studied in 3 different countries (exchange year in Germany + 2 summer semesters at 2 top US schools, one of them at Stanford GSB)
- worked in 3 different countries (Germany, Switzerland, Spain)
- fluent in Spanish and English, somewhat less fluent in French and German (definitely conversational, having worked in both languages)

Other
- awarded a merit scholarship through a private foundation that will cover tuition and most living expenses during my MBA

Applying to HBS, GSB, Sloan in R1. Potentially Wharton, Haas, Booth in R2 (would rather apply in R1, but it's unlikely that time will allow)

Current application status:
- discussed goals and aspirations with both recommenders, who will submit during the next few days. Both are former supervisors from my current job in consulting and my previous work in science
- have a pre-structure developed for my essay, and currently starting to work on a first draft

What I would like to hear about from you:
- overall profile evaluation
- in which schools from the ones I mentioned above you see greater chances and why
- any advice on how to decide on "back-up" programs
- any other application tips you might have based on my profile

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Paula

Please, consider giving kudos if you find my answer helpful in any way :)

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 25

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 2

Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 17:59
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Paula just another applicant here. I might be missing it but I don't think I'm seeing you mention what your reasons are for getting an MBA and what are your career goals (you mention discussing them with your recommenders though). I'll let the admissions consultants weigh in on your admission chances, but I imagine they'll say that none of the info you provided (top GPA, 750 GMAT, MBB consulting currently) will rule you out for any of your schools. With all the top schools it will fall to the story you tell about yourself so far and where you want to go. The why MBA and why now could be very important since your close to three years of work experience is probably enough, but still where schools might be wondering why now and what you'll bring to the classroom since it's below some schools' averages. That last part is one of the few things that sticks out from reading a lot of profile evaluations on here (again just another applicant). The other is just curiosity over the transition from science to MBB (you might utilize your scientific background quite a bit in your consulting but can't tell from what you share) and sharing your professional goals will help understand your path and if there is a story to connect all of them vs. if it looks like you bounced from a start-up to science to consulting and now to ? (depending on your goals).

I am not sure if you see Wharton, Haas, and Booth in Round 2 as your "back-ups" or you're asking for additional recommendations. Your career goals will be helpful in evaluating those three schools and/or suggesting other ones. Just from my opinion as an applicant I see Wharton and Booth being "similar" (relatively speaking), while Haas is quite different in terms of their opportunities and what your experience will be. From a lot of conversations with people I think generally that stays true, but evaluating those schools for myself is definitely influenced by what I am looking for in a program. For me I group Wharton, Booth, and Sloan with Columbia for their size (except Sloan is smaller) and heavier quant/finance reputation (though with all these schools there is the opportunity to pursue a range of focuses), while Haas I associate more with schools like Tuck, Yale, Ross, and maybe Fuqua that are smaller and might have strengths in "softer" areas like consulting, non-profit, marketing, etc. Stanford, Kellogg, and HBS to a degree fall in between with Stanford feeling more like the Haas group and HBS feeling more like the Wharton group to me. Just what I have gathered in my research, conversations with current students and alums, and based on my own career goals. Sharing in case it's helpful. These groupings again could change quite a bit depending on your goals. You might also have geographical preferences, location type preferences (all the schools you list are in big cities or outside of them), etc. but generally I personally would be expecting much different experiences from a school like Haas and a school like Wharton. Identifying those commonalities (which will vary by person) helped me figure out my top choices and do deeper research and also sometimes lead me to take a second look at a school (or realize my first impressions were far off).

Besides that would say your international experience is quite impressive and wonder if that could be an angle to develop for your essays and application. Likely can show how you've been successful in the academic and professional worlds internationally and would bring that same success and value add to an American business school. Hope these random thoughts are helpful!

Kudos [?]: 11 [1], given: 2

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27970 [0], given: 5052

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 21:29
paulaalv11, would suggest that you consider posting 1 message in Ask Admissions Consultants Forum. That's the defacto profile eval area or the school dedicated threads.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27970 [0], given: 5052

Re: Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 21:29

Profile evaluation, 750 Q49 V42

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: aeropower, OasisGC, bb10

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap