It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 13:29
Hey MBA Admissions,

So here is my profile :

1) Past Education - Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering ( GPA 3.5/4) from a top tier Engineering College in India.
Extra curriculars in college - College tennis team captain and active volunteer at tech fests/social service organization. Won a technical competition at college and published 1 research paper.

2) Work Experience :2 years by enrollment. Been working as a risk analyst at a Big 4 firm in India since 08/2016.The work so far has entrusted project management qualities at a very early part in my career. Have handled a risk analysis project for a telecom giant in India for the eastern market ( The responsibilities entrusted have been due to the small team size at my location) . Supervising work of 2 junior analysts at the firm .

3) Extra curricular activities- Formed my own NGO working towards improving living standards of slum dwellers in India. Active part of Round table and Rotary ( Social organizations) for the last 5 years.
Continued playing tennis at City level
( P.S- The consulting profile doesn't give me much time to devote towards extra curriculars)

4) GMAT score- Took the GMAT in march and scored a 680 ( Q 47, V 35) - Quant was a little lower than expected ,but have scored A+ in all mathematic courses during under graduation

5) Recommendation Letters- 2 recommendation letters being given from my performance manager and associate director at the firm . I've worked closely with both of them over the last year.

6) Target Schools - R1 - Emory, Michigan Ross, ASU -Carey
R2- Berkley Haas, texas Mccombs , Georgetown ( Mcdonough) ,Notre Dam -Mendoza

Kindly review my chances of getting into the following schools.
I have a couple of questions
1) Should i retake the gmat ( If you suggest that should i apply to all schools in R2 then as R1 deadlines are in a month and ive been out of touch with GMAT since march)
2) Is it worth giving a shot this year to these schools
3) Incase I decide to wait should i change my job? ( Currently im working in the IT risk consulting Industry which doesn't align with the kind of work and doesn't interest me )
Thanking you for your assistance.

Regards,
Rohan

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hey rohan1093
Thanks for posting. So there's a lot to like with your profile -- great extracurriculars, in particular. I do worry that the GMAT will hold you back at Emory, Michigan, Haas, and Texas. I like your portfolio approach though and that you've got ASU, Georgetown, and Notre Dame on your list. I would like you to try the GMAT again. If you're willing to try applying this year, I think it's worth a shot -- you'll learn a lot through the process which will help you if you're not successful and need to reapply next year. I don't think you need to change your job but if you do, stay with a global big name firm and find a role where you work with global teams. For Indian applicants, this can be a good differentiator.
Hope that helps!
Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 12 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 00:27
Thank you so much Krista . That was very insightful.

A couple of follow up questions :

1) Could you suggest a few good colleges with 680 which are good for marketing .
2) With a 730 and experiences till date, do i stand a chance at Michigan,HAAS , Emory and Texas ? If so ill consider shifting Emory and Michigan to R2.

Thanking you once again.

Rohan.

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap